What's Wrong With the rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacRunner68, Aug 2, 2012.

1. MacRunner68 macrumors newbie

Everyone is raving about amazing it is, and I don't disagree! But I'm just wondering what are the down sides?

Personal experiences with it that are negative, glitches, lag, etc.

Anything that you don't like about it or have issue with (EXCEPT THE PRICE ;) ) post here!

2. keviig macrumors 6502

I don't like the os / scroll lag. But that's about it :p

3. Slivortal macrumors 6502

You haven't seen anyone discussing its downsides?

[​IMG]

...That's not to say it's bad, but if you read most of the threads on here, people go on and on about the problems they've had with it.

4. MacRunner68 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am new here, but I've been sifting through threads trying to get all of the info... (missing a lot I'm sure) So that's why I put together this thread, so everyone can put together a list of the problems and make a more educated decision!

Thanks for the warm welcome ;)

5. drmountaindeww macrumors member

Well I don't have one but I have done a lot of research on it and have read a lot of forums.

Pros:
    >Standard SSD
    >Retina Display
    >i7 Quad-Core processor
    >1GB of Nvida discrete graphics memory

Cons:
    >Non-User upgradeable (possibly an SSD upgrade coming out in the future via 3rd party companies
    >Really expensive
    >Expensive upgrades

I agree with you that it's a great machine. Negative feedback you might read on here is redundant because people who have lag or hardware or other complaints about the computer, they come on here and complain to us. Whereas if someone is happy with it they won't waste their time to tell us how great it is if you understand? :)

Hope this helps!:)

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are literally hundreds of existing threads discussing the pros and cons of the rMBP. If you browse through a few of those, you'll get a good idea of what people like/don't like about it.
    Good luck with that. It's rare that a "consolidated thread" effort works, as people post where they choose and may not see your thread. The result is what we have now: hundreds of threads discussing the same topic. And now we have one more! Perhaps yours will succeed where others have failed.

7. wiznet macrumors regular

Good points. I'd like to point out, however, that a non-retina macbook BTO with identical specs is more expensive than the retina model.

Other Pros:

-Thermal system is very effective, and imperceptible, most of the time
    -Strong build, very sturdy
    -8Gb standard RAM on all configurations
    -Scaling options work great for many different work environments/jobs
    -Glare very, very minimal while still maintaining a glossy viewing experience
    -GPU is factory overclocked. It's a beast. Very good decision made by apple on this Nvidia card

Other cons:

-Image retention (very minimal, you have to look hard to find it on mine) on many screens
    -Some lag occurs when switching spaces and in miscellaneous other places (minimal, drastically improved in OSX ML)

8. RVspidey macrumors member

you must be new to memes.

9. gentlefury macrumors 68030

there are many here that just love to complain, but I have yet to find a fault.

10. Slivortal macrumors 6502

You're welcome. :D

Not really. Would've been better w/o excess text, sure - but I don't like beating up on the new people too much - and without an explanation that would've been just mean.

11. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

Moaning about the cost of an Apple product is comparable to moaning about being alive because you need to breathe. It makes no sense to do either. No one is forcing you to buy the damn things.

12. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I bought a BMW now I'm upset that an air filter costs more than a toyota!!

13. ilgreatluigi macrumors member

I agree bro.

Charles Babbage, the father of the modern computer, once said, "Propose to a man any principle, or an instrument, however admirable, and you will observe the whole effort is directed to find a difficulty, a defect, or an impossibility in it. If you speak to him of a machine for peeling a potato, he will pronounce it impossible: If you peel a potato with it before his eyes, he will declare it useless, because it will not slice a pineapple."

14. stevelam macrumors 65816

Great machine? Awesome. I trust in your complete non-experience in owning one.

15. Yorptunes macrumors newbie

rmbp

Ok I registered just to come on and say I just bought via online Apple Store, rmbp, 2.6, 16GB, the 500 SSD. I love it. Very satisfied with performance. I do photo editing, play the occasional game, watch movies, surf, etc.

Yorp :D

16. glhiii macrumors regular

I am quite happy with my machine. The only issue I've noticed is that the keyboard takes some getting used to. I make more mistakes on it than on my previous MBP.

17. cms2 macrumors 6502

cms2

Really love this quote. So, so true...