What's wrong with this picture?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kirkbross, Aug 19, 2009.

1. kirkbross macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

So I'm running the latest Firefox on the latest Leopard and get this "browser-arresting" drop-down pop up scam ad. It's amusing, but at the same time, alarming that a pop up can lock up Firefox entirely and force a single-choice click of their virus scan.

Is this simply that Firefox actually sucks *** now, or do I really have some adware happening on my Mac?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [​IMG]

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Just click Ok, and then close the tab. Don't worry your computer is fine. I wouldn't go back to that website though. That is annoying. You have S*** ton of bookmarks! :eek: Do you have an ad blocker installed?

3. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

That would be one hell of a feat to have all that malware on your Mac considering it's showing a Windows filesystem in Firefox for Mac, on your Mac. :p

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you notice, first, that's a Windows Security Alert popup, which has nothing to do with Mac OS X. Second, the files shown as "Detected spyware and adware on your computer" are .exe and .dll files, both of which are Windows-only filetypes and neither of which could run on a Mac. It's completely bogus. It's a fake alert... just a javascript spoof of an alert, designed to get suckers to buy or install their trojan-infested software. It can't possibly harm your Mac.

5. borcanm macrumors regular

Dont worry about it. I have gotten that too in Safari 4 with Block Pop-ups enabled. Its fake. At least for macs. Its trying to scare you into whatever their selling. Just hit ok and close the tab, and avoid any site that caused the pop up, its annoying.

6. macfanboy macrumors 6502a