Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Max Payne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2006
Brisbane, Australia
So lately I have been into classic music. Mainly instrumental, with no lyrics. I have been listening to Yanni and he is great.

If you are into such music, what is your favourite composer and music?

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
Well...I think Yanni is technically new age and not classical (not that he is bad).

Having said that, I prefer music from the Romantic period or later. I'd probably recommend the later symphonies of Mozart (and all of Beethoven's) , Mozart's Requiem, and the Rachmaninov Piano Concertos.

The best thing to do might be to find a classical music station in your area or on the internet and find their playlist on their website. You can just listen and when you come across something you like, search for the same composer on iTunes or elsewhere. Wikipedia generally has good information on the span and furcations of a composer's career.

Good luck and good listening. :)

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
The french composer Debussy has some of the most romantic and emotional music I've ever heard. Very melodic with predominately vowel sounding instrumentation.

If in "classics" you are refering to something pop contemporary, I would have to say Tiffany and Debbie Gibson. :)

luv ya bunches! xoxoxo

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
It really depends on my frame of mind since I enjoy a pretty wide gamut of Classical and Impressionistic composers including Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Stravinsky, Debussy, Dvorak, Mozart, Bach, Prokotiev, Rossini, Grieg, Copland, and I have to mention Gershwin.

But if I had to come to one composer and one piece in particular, it's pretty hard to rise above the genius of the 3rd Movement of Beethoven's 5th Symphony. It's vintage Beethoven at his best.

ejb190

macrumors 65816
I like Stravinsky. Nothing like Firebird Suite - 1919 Version. I'm also a sucker for anything Gershwin. Yah, a bit more modern, but Rhapsody in Blue is just a classic American composition. As far as the "Masters", nothing like a little Mr. B. Beethoven's 5th gives me chills to this day and there is nothing like Fur Elise being played by someone who can put emotion into it.

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
I know it's cliché, but Mozart. For sheer complexity, he can't be beat...IMHO

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Stay away from Barbara Kolb. Not only is she very 20th Century (read: atonal), she's a massive bitch.

I'm going to recommend: Beethoven, Chopin, and Heitor Villa-Lobos. Holst gets a special mention because he's one of a very few to write for euphonium in orchestra, which I think is a shame. It's perfectly suited for the task.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
Where's the Shostakovich party?
Make sure to invite Mendelssohn! He's a playa. The son of a banker!!
Brahms.. such the viola compose, MMMM.

it5five

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2006
New York
I'm into Mahler, Mozart, Mendelsshon, and some others. I just usually listen to the classical station and keep in mind certain pieces I liked. I'll go online to check out who it was and then listen to more of their stuff.

EDIT: I'll join the Shostakovich party. It's weird that we both mentioned Mendelssohn at the same time too.

it5five

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2006
New York
It's pretty amusing (at least to me), I can recognize a Vivaldi piece when I hear it on the radio. If I turn it on half way through, I tell myself "this is Vivaldi", and turns out it is.

I'm a loser :(

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
I'm into Mahler, Mozart, Mendelsshon, and some others. I just usually listen to the classical station and keep in mind certain pieces I liked. I'll go online to check out who it was and then listen to more of their stuff.

EDIT: I'll join the Shostakovich party. It's weird that we both mentioned Mendelssohn at the same time too.

Have you heard Mendelssohn's viola sonata? YUMMY!!

I have his 3rd symphony on right now, but I soo plan on listening to the sonata later.

How do y'all feel about big, fantastic Tchaikovsky?
I think I'm just pretty much in love with all the Russian composers. :)

it5five said:
It's pretty amusing (at least to me), I can recognize a Vivaldi piece when I hear it on the radio. If I turn it on half way through, I tell myself "this is Vivaldi", and turns out it is.

I'm a loser :(
oh, shh. If you're a loser for being able to identify a composer, I don't know what I am classified as! I'll be listening to something and name the key, composer (or if not that, time period) and if I listen closely enough whether or not it's an orchestra from Europe or North America playing.

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
How do y'all feel about big, fantastic Tchaikovsky?
I think I'm just pretty much in love with all the Russian composers. :)
I love Tchaikovsky. There's a pretty pervasive revival of appreciation for his works. His String Quartets N. 1-3 by the Borodin Quartet are wonderful. Concerto No. 1 and Symphony No. 4 are some of my favs. I've never been a Nutcracker enthusiast, but I love Waltz of the Flowers since I'm a Horn player.

Who are some other Russian composers you like in addition to Shostakovich? Modeste Mussorgsky?

Max Payne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2006
Brisbane, Australia
Thank you all for contributing. Now I am lost between all the names of the classics and the names of the composers. I thought all of these are calles classics. How should I know new age and the rest of the names. I forgot that most of Apple users are over 55. I guess they only know the music of the 17th century. :p Just kidding, you guys are the best.

I'll need a few days to listen to samples of these composers in youtube.

Thank you all for providing me with a long list. Now I have all I need to keep me busy for a month or 12. :D

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
Thank you all for contributing. Now I am lost between all the names of the classics and the names of the composers. I thought all of these are calles classics. How should I know new age and the rest of the names. I forgot that most of Apple users are over 55. I guess they only know the music of the 17th century. :p Just kidding, you guys are the best.
katie ta achoo is in her 50's?! :eek: Pffffff.
I've said it elsewhere, but once more won't hurt.
"Millennials r teh suxx0rs" :p Just kidding.

Attachments

• millennials_r-teh.gif
    millennials_r-teh.gif
    59.3 KB · Views: 154

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Claire de lune (Spelling likely off) always sounded beautiful to me.

Recently I've found myself playing Mozarts Requiem an awful lot. I don't even know if that's the full name, it's just what my dad used to listen to. :) Really love classical music with nothing in particular. I find it makes me less motion sick so I just stick a few "classical" tracks on my iPod and not be sick!

Grakkle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2006
Earth
Bartok. Beethoven. Bach. Mozart. Grieg.

And others, but those are some of my favourite composers. I like pretty much all classical music.

I also like the MacCrimmons if you count bagpipe piobaireachd as classical music.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
I'm no expert but here are some pieces I've used on home movies (including some 'popular' opera) :eek:

Concerto in D Major for Cello and Orchestra, Larghetto (Boccherini)
William Tell Overture (Rossini)
Der Freischutz Overture (Weber)
Ebben? ... Ne andrò lontana (La Wally, Catalani)
Flower Duet (Lakme, Delibes)
Nocturne in G minor (Chopin)

Grey Beard

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2005
The Antipodes.
While I am fond of Bach's Toccata and Fugue variations and Mozart's Horn Concertos my current most played would have to be Ray Manzarek's version of Carmina Burana.

KGB

iris_failsafe

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
Die Zauberflöte by Mozart

Has to be my favourite piece ever...
To this day I am still waiting for the animated movie od it, that will be the perfect medium for it...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.