What's your AEBS wireless-N throughput?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jb60606, Jun 30, 2008.

1. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

Just out of curiosity, what kind of speeds are you getting while copying files over wireless-N?

Initially, I was only getting up to 1MB (8mbit) per second, though, after disabling the "use wide channels" option, I'm up to a peak of about 8MB (64mbit) per second, with an average of 7MB. Good enough to stream movies, etc, to my ATV without lag, but was honestly hoping for better.

Attached Files:

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

I get about that too, on an express, located in the same room.
    typically between 6 an 8 MB a second
    Looking around online, that's about what to expect.

3. ddoonie macrumors regular

You were getting 8MB wirelessly? That looks wired in ur screenshot. What is your average signal/noise/transmit rate?

I have been trying to maximize my connection/transfer rate but with no luck! Most i have gotten is about 2MB/s, but i see you disabled wide channels. I'm going to have to try that later. Any other suggestions?

4. jb60606 thread starter macrumors 6502a

In manual setup, aside from disabling wide channels, I have it set to "802.11n only", transmit power at 100% and multicast rate at 24mbps. I also ditched my 5.8Ghz cordless phone for a DECT 6.0, just in case.

I should mention that my Mac Pro/AEBS and ATV are only a room apart

Signal: -66 (uhhh, negative??)
    Noise: -90
    Rate: peaks at about 250+/-

What's your S/N/R?

EDIT:

Now, I changed the AEBS back to use "wide channels" and the speed stayed about the same. I don't know what exactly made the difference.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Signal and Noise is logarithmic which is why it's negative.

My connection speed is around 6MB/s down and 3MB/s up topped.

I'm getting these rates from around the house.

6. ddoonie macrumors regular

What are you measuring this with, transferring to/from another computer on the network? I tried measuring with an airdisk, and it is horrendous for me, around 1MB/second

Channel 40
    Signal -60
    Noise -93
    TX rate on average 54!

Any suggestions? It obviously is not the noise... even at 54Mbit/second, thats should be a theoretical 6MB and a bit. Is it that the airdisk, is THAT dismal in speed? I have a DNS 323 on the way, and will connect via ethernet, and compare speeds then...

7. PLin macrumors 6502

I'm using 5GHz with wide channels turned on, and I can up to 10MB/s when I'm within about 5 or 6 feet from the base. However, the speed drops off pretty quickly if you move away from the base. I haven't tried playing with the Multicast rate. I'm not sure what that does.

8. Kittychan macrumors regular

I never get up to 8 !!! Average is 6mb when transfering files from one computer to another.. My imac is maybe just 1 meter away from the AEBS and AppleTv just sits next to the AEBS.. Everything is in the same room .....

I wonder why..... especially when I stream a movie to my AppleTv using ATVfiles, it only transmits 120kb/sec on average... This is weird !!!

9. KWoolley116 macrumors newbie

How do you go about checking to see what your transmitting?

10. Kittychan macrumors regular

I run appletv and then I use istats to check the wireless rate !!!