What's your average battery life at this point?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hitman0304, Sep 23, 2010.

1. hitman0304 macrumors member

It's been long enough now since it came out. I'm kind of paranoid about battery life. Mine seems like its been gradually getting worse but who knows. What would you say your average battery life is like?

I used to get about 10 hours throughout a day, now I am only getting about 7 1/2-8. But it's been since I've been back at school and can't always be on Wifi and whatnot. But even on wifi it seems to be draining much faster than it used to. What's everyone else's like? I feel like since I've had to charge the battery at more random times since being at school I screwed it up. Am I just being paranoid?

2. ryanvsrobots macrumors member

3. chembox macrumors 6502a

I'm usually only getting 6 hours of usage with 10-12 hours of standby. I'm never on Wi-Fi, as well.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

10-12 on wifi and 6-7 on 3G.

Standby 18 or more.

5. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

On my typical usage patterns, I can get two full days out of my iPhone 4. My usage in those two days is generally:

--At least 2 full hours of iPod usage in the car to and from work
    --usually an hour to an hour and a half watching Netflix on wifi
    --neurotically checking e mail, Twitter, and Facebook
    --an average amount of surfing (maybe an hour total in the two days)
    --an average amount of gaming (maybe an hour total in the two days)
    --very little actual "talking" on the phone (I don't even answer most of my calls unless they're from my wife)

*I am always on wifi at work and at home. Usually the only time I'm on the 3G network is when I'm in the car or at the grocery store or something.

By the second night of a full charge I'm usually down to about 5-10% battery life remaining, and even then, I don't really HAVE to plug the phone in to charge until right when I go to bed. This thing seems to sip battery power. For all the things it does and all the things I use it for during the day, I am very very impressed with the battery. We have Android users at work that have to keep a charger in the car, a charger at work, and a charger at home just to keep the stupid thing working.

6. chembox macrumors 6502a

I'm curious, what are your brightness settings at? Surely you're getting 2 days of standby, but what are your actual usage numbers?

7. vong macrumors 6502a

vong

normally like 6 hours (i only use iphone for texting/website viewing when im on campus waiting for class to start. on wifi 90% of the time. never on 3g unless i need it)

with 1~2 day standby

8. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

My battery's lasting about 8 hours, give or take an hour. I'm pretty pleased considering it's jailbroken and I have some jailbroken Apps as well as a theme always running. I do make sure to end any processes that I can though, and I'm sure that helps out quiet a bit. The 8 hour estimate is on 3G of course, I've never bothered measuring it with Wifi.

9. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I have my brightness set to auto so it seems to just adjust to the lighting of the room I'm in.

My phone's numbers at this very moment:

Time since last full charge:
    Usage 11 hours 13 minutes
    Standby 1 day 20 hours

EDIT: I should also mention that I have it checking for e mail every 15 minutes. I do not have push notifications or anything else turned on for any other applications. I only have GPS turned on when the app I'm using needs it.

10. aohus macrumors 68000

for those spewing data with really long usage hours is all garbage until they have the screenshots to back it up.

11. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Screenshots mean nothing

12. Cynikal.Mindset macrumors 6502a

Usage stats mean jack too since you can use the iPod function for like 10hrs with little impact on the battery at all and on the flipside you can use YouTube or whatever for 30min and have a large impact on the battery. It's all relative and everybody's usage will vary.

13. Savor Suspended

Savor

Location Services - Off
    Push Notification - Off
    3G/Edge - Off

Brightness at 50%, auto is on.

I am 95% browsing on WiFi. Sometimes streaming and no music in somedays. I get about 8.5 - 10 hours (sans music). Very satisfied. I would start using it when I wakeup at 10am sometimes. Then it wouldn't die until beyond 12-1am. But what I like is if I start early and use it too much, it charges fast. I charged it for 25 minutes once knowing less than 45% may not make it through the night. It charges to 68% and I got another TWO hours!

14. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I'm not going to spend time getting a screen shot on here, but I have had two iPhone 4's now (had to have my first one replaced) and both have given me similar battery life. I think it probably just has to do with how I use the phone. Plus, I'm not bored enough to lie about how much usage time I get out of my cell phone. Hell, I thought my usage time was perfectly normal until I saw this thread. You guys must use your phones a lot more intensively than I use mine.

15. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

Consistently two days. Texting 1-200 per day, checking email constantly, facebook, FML, about an hour of internet a day, various entertainment apps...generally light use.

16. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I always state my usage for surfing only. Unfortunately, there are those types on here that think their usage is like some sort of badge that they need to show to impress people. These are usually the ones using their phone as an iPod. Pretty pathetic. I've got 15 days standby on my old 3G with airplane mode. Big whoop.

17. vong macrumors 6502a

vong

few days ago:
    [​IMG]

current battery life:
    [​IMG]

18. iggypod macrumors 6502a

iggypod

Here too.

19. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

Sorry but those screenshots mean NOTHING with the "iPhone has been plugged in since last full charge" statement.

Sure it could've only been plugged in for 38 seconds. But we don't know that. For a true usage, u cant have plugged ur phone in.

20. samcraig macrumors P6

Also - too many variables - which is why Aggie said screen shots are useless.

Screenshots don't indicate:

1) if you're in a poor cell area
    2) screen brightness
    3) how many email accounts you have and whether you are pushing, fetching and how often
    4) doesn't indicate whether that time is spent on 3g, wifi or edge
    5) doesn't indicate processor usage (were you listening to your ipod or were you playing a processor intensive game/video editing/etc

Again - way too many variables.

21. Cynikal.Mindset macrumors 6502a

all anybody should really care about is if the phone makes it through their entire day of "normal to you" use without needing a mid-day charge or leaving them stranded somewhere with a dead phone...EPA may publish milage results for a car but real-world use varies from driver to driver...as long as it does what you need it to do within reason nobody should be anal about it.

now, if you leave your phone on the desk all day and do nothing and your battery is dead after 8hours of idle use, you may have a problem

22. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

How about this? This is with NO IPOD AT ALL. 3G On, Locations ON, no Push, lots of text, talk, web, news apps, doodle jump...not bad
    [​IMG]

23. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

I have turned push email off, and just have my email set to be fetched manually. That seems to have really increased my battery life.

24. samcraig macrumors P6

No doubt! I just discovered changing fetch from 15 min to 1 hr has EXPONENTIALLY increased by battery life.

See here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1020111

25. vong macrumors 6502a

vong

hm.. did not notice that, but i only plug it in to sync new songs to my iphone and such. ill post new picture next time than.