Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orschinger

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2006
What the heck... I'm only getting around 6-7 hours of battery life with my new machine (11 load cycles) and OSX 10.10.3, Brightness 60%, no hard CPU load, just surfing with Safari, Gmail, Flash blocked, only 3 tabs opened.

Did a clean install, no migration assistant.

Any other experiences?

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
What the heck... I'm only getting around 6-7 hours of battery life with my new machine (11 load cycles) and OSX 10.10.3, Brightness 60%, no hard CPU load, just surfing with Safari, Gmail, Flash blocked, only 3 tabs opened.

Any other experiences?

Actual battery life or estimated in the menu bar?

orschinger

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2006
Actual battery life or estimated in the menu bar?

Damn, that's a wise question! Estimated.
Ok, gotcha. Will check actual battery life tomorrow :cool:

...but I'd still love to see 10+ hours for the estimated time as well. It's all in the head :)

Airboy1466

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2015

Any other experiences?

Same I was having battery issues with my MBA 2015 sent it in came to find out it had a defective battery

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Damn, that's a wise question! Estimated.
Ok, gotcha. Will check actual battery life tomorrow :cool:

...but I'd still love to see 10+ hours for the estimated time as well. It's all in the head :)

Open Activity Monitor, make sure the computer isn't busy doing anything, let it sit for about a minute, and check the estimate again. ;)

orschinger

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2006
Ok, clocked in at 8 hours 20 minutes - brightness at around 60%, Gmailing in Safari most of the time.

Not really great, is it?

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Ok, clocked in at 8 hours 20 minutes - brightness at around 60%, Gmailing in Safari most of the time.

Not really great, is it?

Well, I remember my first laptop from 10 years ago and it would run for 2 hours on battery power and that was considered fairly respectable at the time, so over 8 hours...

That being said, other people on this board seem to get longer times. Are you sure you didn't have some other tab open in Safari running down your battery playing a Flash ad or something?

What does the Energy tab of Activity Monitor say?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.