What's your battery life when using chrome?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Drecca, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Drecca macrumors regular

What's your average battery life when using Chrome? Thinking of ditching my 15 TB MBP because I'm on planes a few times a week and this thing is becoming annoying to carry around.

But my work uses google services, and chrome integrates well. So I can't use Safari.

Anyway, do you guys find your battery life drains a lot faster on chrome? Or same as Safari?

2. thesimsboi macrumors member

thesimsboi

I can't really answer your question, because I work mostly plugged-in BUT I will say that Chrome is SO much faster on the MB than Safari is. Safari takes forever to load pages. With Chrome as soon as you press enter - the page is up and ready to go. :)

Hopefully someone chimes in soon about the battery life.

3. kingalien macrumors regular

kingalien

I primarily surf with Chrome on my MB in the evenings. A full charge lasts about two days so about 8 hours for one charge.

4. bill-p macrumors 65832

It's the opposite for me. 2016 MacBook 12" m7.

Safari runs laps around Chrome for me, for everything, from loading pages to handling multiple tabs. Even Firefox is much faster than Chrome. Especially when I'm on a 4K display. The performance difference is astounding.

With Chrome, I get around 4-5 hours of battery life, and with Safari, that extends to 7-8 hours. It's not subtle whenever I click the battery icon to check usage because Chrome's icon is always at the top of the list of offenders, while Safari may not even appear on there until I watch a video on Youtube.

Chrome regularly uses up to 3-4GB of RAM, too, whereas Safari is happy with about 2GB max. I guess that's what's causing the extra battery drain.

5. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Following this thread - I haven't tested battery life between chrome and safari, but so far safari does not run the battery down as fast.