• >30

Votes: 6 7.2%

• Total voters

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
your BMI can be calculated in both metric and imperial from here.

I'm the low end of normal; 19.4.

How is the rest of the MR community?

Please note that these calculators don't account for all body types. Muscle weighs more than fat, so a person with lots of muscle bulk can come up with a high BMI. It's just a guide for the average person.

According to the BMI, Ian Thorpe, gold-medalist Australian swimmer, is obese.

edit: this calculator is pretty good as well.

Unorthodox

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2006
Not at the beach...
I'm a skinny bastard :p

But I just started my 15,000 calorie diet.

Ahhhh... It's good to be skinny.
I can eat nothing but junk food for a whole month and not gain an ounce.
Some people I know nibble on a carrot and gain 5lbs.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
wozzlewoozle said:
but, since I can bench press more than any fat guy at the gym weighs it means nothing.
Yeah, that's one of the problems with a generalized figure like the BMI - it doesn't take into account why you weigh more than a "healthy" normal weight.

Some other stats to be looking at instead of just BMI would include Body Fat Percentage and perhaps even resting heart rate, both of which are indicators of fitness.

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Miami, FL
Not surprising, I'm underweight, which is interesting, because I eat more than my whole family, my stepgrandfather eats a little less than I do and there's a weight difference of a hundred pounds. :( Course we aren't related by blood but still...:S

15.9 BMI

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Miami, FL
emw said:
Yeah, that's one of the problems with a generalized figure like the BMI - it doesn't take into account why you weigh more than a "healthy" normal weight.

Some other stats to be looking at instead of just BMI would include Body Fat Percentage and perhaps even resting heart rate, both of which are indicators of fitness.
My resting heart rate is perfect, last time it was checked. So was resting blood pressure.

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
20.9 - 21.4 depending on what my weight is from my last check up, then i added 5 lbs since i don't think i lost any (we don't have a scale in my house so a bit of guesswork is involved :) )

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
benthewraith said:
Not surprising, I'm underweight, which is interesting, because I eat more than my whole family, my stepgrandfather eats a little less than I do and there's a weight difference of a hundred pounds. :( Course we aren't related by blood but still...:S

15.9 BMI
i eat more than anyone i know....and i'm still skinny

what is your resting heart rate? last time i did mine when i first woke up was 38

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
twoodcc said:
i eat more than anyone i know....and i'm still skinny

what is your resting heart rate? last time i did mine when i first woke up was 38
20.4 for me, BMI.

When I was in hospital, they took my heart rate (before the op) to check everything was ok.. I have a resting heart rate of 48, which they said was very low. 38 is pretty mad..

elfin buddy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2001
Tuttlingen, Germany
I take issue with this BMI. I know it's not supposed to be for all body types, but if that's so, shouldn't the site mention that more specifically? It rates me as 24.4, high-normal. Problem is that I have more of a stocky build than a 'typical' one. I'm not skinny, but am still far from fat or even borderline overweight.

I don't like "calculators" like this, which lump all people into a single category regardless of body type. You cannot always reliably tell whether a person is healthy or obese based on two pieces of data.