What's your boot drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by strausd, Jul 2, 2010.

1. strausd macrumors 68030

I'm not sure what I want to put as my boot drive when I get my MP. I considered many different options including a standard 7200 rpm drive, velociraptor, Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid, OCZ SSD, and Intel SSD.

So I thought, why not get some people's opinions on these?

So I want to know what you have as your boot drive, if you like it or not, if you could change what would you change to. Also, how much space you have used on the boot drive and how much is left. If I decide to go for an SSD, this can really help me determine the size I would need.

Thanks!

2. rmwebs macrumors 68040

3. lloyd709 macrumors 6502

Ssd Ssd Ssd

I can't tell you how much of a difference an SSD makes to how your computer feels. I have a 1.1 mac pro which always felt a bit sluggish - even though I have 12 Gig of memory in it. I recently put a 120Gig OCZ SSD boot disk in it and now it feels awesome! Boots up in about a third of the time (which probably isn't that important in real terms but feels good) and everything seems to happen when you want it to - as apposed to about 2 seconds after with a normal boot drive. I have a very fast raid set up for my data so it didn't make any real difference to processing images but I'm now a lot happier!!

I thought about stating a thread to tell the world about the virtues of SSD - just in case they didn't already know - but didn't get around to it. Responding to your thread has now got it out of my system. Need to just get a life now!!!

4. strausd thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks! Do you know which one you're gonna get yet?

How big is your application folder?

5. tomllama macrumors regular

I recently switched from a MP 1,1 with a caviar black for the boot drive to a MP 4,1 with an OCZ Agility 2 SSD (240 GB). The speed of the boot and loading applications is fantastic with the SSD. (All user files are on caviar black or green drives, only the OS is on the SSD.)

6. rmwebs macrumors 68040

Think I may go for a 64GB Intel SSD. I was looking at a Kingstone 64GB which reails for about £100 in the uk (~$150 USD) however it seems too cheap! I've got a strong feeling its read/write speed wouldnt be too good. At least with the Intel one you know its top quality.

Still not sure when to get the actual Mac Pro!

7. strausd thread starter macrumors 68030

Haha ya I'm right there with you. I'm hopin it comes out mid July. With the MBP in mid April, MB in mid May, and Mac Mini in mid June, there seems to be a good chance of something new coming out mid July.

8. Zerozal macrumors 6502

My boot/application drive is a 300GB Velociraptor. Only about 14GB used, so I certainly don't need all the space.

I've had my MP for just over a year now, and when I bought it I didn't feel SSDs were quite there yet. If I had to do it over again now, or if my velociraptor should need replacing, I'd go SSD. 64GB should be plenty big.