What's your current DVD ripping solution/process?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jimmypopjr, Jun 29, 2009.

1. jimmypopjr macrumors regular

I'm a brand new Mac Pro owner and in one weekend I was able to convert more of my collection than I could in weeks with my other mac. It's nuts! I owe a lot of that to this board, and I thank you guys for it. I'm hoping maybe there's a better way to speed up my current process.

Anyways, on to the topic. Right now my steps are:

1. Insert DVD and RipIt takes care of the rest (with a non-riplocked drive). Takes 8-12 minutes per DVD.

2. I'll do a stack of my DVDs then queue up a list with the terminal-updated version of Handbrake.
    Each movie takes 25-45 minutes, using only 30% processor power, tops.

3. I usually run two instances of Handbrake to speed up the process. They read the DVD images from my main drive and they write to a second internal drive. Last night I had 15 movies queued up for each Handbrake instance and let it go overnight. All 30 were done by 7:30 this morning (started the process at about midnight).

Going through my entire collection has reminded me of how many bad movies I've bought over the years. There's just some need I have to get my entire collection ready to go on my Apple TV's.

How about you guys? What's your process look like? I'd like to see quicker conversions, but I think I'd need an SSD and better optimized Handbrake to make that happen.

2. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

i don't rip movies as intensely as you seem to be doing, but i use

Mac the Ripper
    Handbrake
    Visual Hub (if needed)

Have you thought about 2 optical drives? Even if Rip it can only use 1 of them, get Mac the Ripper to use the other

And I think you're right about needig faster storage to get through your backlog quicker....if you have a few hundred DVD's or something, you could justify an SSD...or even a RAID 0 (although, working them that hard is increasing your risk of failure.

Congrats on the Pro dude!
    - Michael

3. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

If he's already fixed the riplock issue, I don't think faster hard drives or RAIDing will help, because all optical media is way too slow to max out the transfer of even mid-level HDDs. I think you may be stuck with that speed.

At any rate, my own workflow is to use MacTheRipper, then run my resulting files through either Mpeg Streamclip, Toast, or Handbrake, depending on what I'm doing.

Encoding, on the other hand, could probably be better optimized to use more of your CPU, but that's a different kettle of fish.

4. Mrbill317 macrumors regular

What format do you guys store your dvd rips in?

mkv?

How is ripit , I got a copy from macupdates promo but didnt install it yet.

5. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Vuze.app - almost no CPU usage at all and most DVDs only take 20 min.

6. Igantius macrumors 65816

When you're using Handbrake, what settings/conversion are you doing?

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Physical DVD:
    Fairmount
    DVD Remaster Pro

Digital Copy:
    Handbreak

8. yomibro macrumors regular

Dual drives
    VMWARE
    Slysoft
    Movie in one drive, blank disk in the other
    Rip, compress and burn in around 22 minutes per disc

9. jimmypopjr thread starter macrumors regular

I actually really like it. Used to use Mac the Ripper, but I'm enjoying this a lot more for ripping the whole DVD. Doesn't have the options of MTR, but you can easily set it to start ripping as soon as a DVD is put in the drive and eject once it's done. It also displays the transfer rate and time to completion as well, which I love.

And in handbrake I'm using the AppleTV normal setting without the 'large file size' option clicked.

Tes - I thought Vuze was a P2P/torrent program? It can convert video, too?

10. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

- Pioneer 216 (not riplocked)
    - RipIt (Mac the Ripper just crashes for me, plus its buggy anyway)
    - Handbrake (using High Profile for films - all 8 cores running at max :))

11. jimmypopjr thread starter macrumors regular

High profile and all 8 cores maxed? How'd you manage that? I can't get my cores past 30%!

12. OZMP macrumors 6502

how do i terminal update handbrake? i can follow instructions, just never done it (IT trainee- says it all? :p )

13. j2048b macrumors 6502a

what about removing rip lock?

I have flashed my pioneer 112 drive only once, then i could not do it again, not sure why but it would not take,

how do i re-flash this drive to remove rip lock and what version will i end up with on the drive after i have flashed it to the latest firmware?

help the new bee out a bit?

thanks

14. Zerozal macrumors 6502

I'm currently using DVDFab 6, running under Windows/Bootcamp. I really wish there were a Mac version--unfortunately it doesn't look like it's in the cards.

I'm a new Mac owner, but I've yet to find a Mac-specific solution that is as good as DVDFab. MtR is so old that it doesn't work with a lot of new DVDs, and Handbrake doesn't seem to be able to output the original Video and Audio TS files intact (although I'd love to be wrong about that).

If anyone has any suggestions for a single Mac-specific app (i.e., without having to rip with app A, convert with app B, burn with app C) that can rip a DVD-9, then burn as a DVD-5 while keeping the 5.1 or DTS tracks intact, I'm all ears! Bonus points the app has output settings for mobile players (iPhone/iPod, etc). And yes, DVDFab can do all this.

TIA!

15. rowsdower macrumors 6502

I just use Handbrake but I clearly don't rip as many movies as others.

16. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Newer version? Mine also maxes out all 8 cores... It's actually faster (or same speed) on my 2006 (upgraded to 8 cores X5355) 2.66 than it is on other people's 2.93 2009 systems.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=668951&highlight=handbrake

17. Loa macrumors 65816

Loa

Just a quick wink: my best ripping method is BitTorrent...

;-)

Loa

18. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

19. Loa macrumors 65816

Loa

Haha! never heard of Vuze, so I didn't know it was a BT app... And with my very very poor connection speeds, my mind couldn't connect "download a DVD" and "20 minutes"... lol

Loa

20. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

21. j2048b macrumors 6502a

just follow the instructions and easy as pie!!

i have never done this as well, and beginner in IT as well, and it worked flawlessly, the only thing is that the options to rip into game systems was not in it, but never use them anyways!

22. j2048b macrumors 6502a

ANY help with this at all?

thanks

23. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

I saw it being mentioned here within the past two or three months. Pioneer 112 flashing. Have a search.

24. jimmypopjr thread starter macrumors regular

Hey Tes - Very odd. I've done the terminal update of handbrake (a while ago) and I still can't get it anywhere near maxed. Are you running RAID0 or an SSD or something? I've got to have a hefty bottleneck somewhere and I'd like to remedy that.

25. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

What's a terminal update? Can you explain this? I think there are two of us wondering about this now. :D

But I just rechecked to make sure I wasn't crazy - because I don't rip DVDs but maybe one a month or something. Mostly I just installed HandBrake for that test thread i linked to above.

1. If I rip directly from the DVD HandBrake uses between 10% on all 8 core to 65% across all 8 cores dependent on the size and the "Average Bitrate" or "Constant Quality" setting.

2. If I drag and drop the DVD files onto the desktop and then rip from that folder I get 95% ~ 100% across all 8 cores for the vast majority of the possible settings.
    Both ways end up taking very close to the same amount of time (depending) but by drag-&-dropping the DVD player spends much less time spinning. About 7min. for a 6.5GB DVD as opposed to the entire 15min or 20min it takes to read, condition, and encode the whole film.

Does that make more sense? Sorry I wasn't clear the first time. :eek: