Whats your experience with public wifi?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by OnTheiTouch2G, Sep 21, 2008.

1. OnTheiTouch2G macrumors member

I live in Atlanta and Im trying to get ideas about where people go for wifi when they're out. Ive found that most mcdonalds use waypoint and offer 2 hour passes for 2.95. Most large bookstores and (regardless of what i've heard about starbucks being free) most starbucks using the tmobile hotspot, which is 6 bucks for an hour or 9.99 for 24 hours.

Some free wifi would be nice somewhere. What have you found out there?

2. njguyfla macrumors member

Google WiFi hotspots for your area.

There is a McD near me that advertises free wifi, but you have to ask them for a coupon with a code when you order your food. The City Hall where I live has free wifi and I can use it from the parking lot in my car, but the signal is weak. I was on vacation once in Fort Lauderdale and I took my laptop to the beach and was able to connect to free wifi.

3. MikesMethod macrumors newbie

I suggest coffee shops. Starbucks is very overrated, because most coffee shops have wifi anyways. All you have to do is buy like a muffin or small drink and go sit down using wifi for hours. As long as you buy something-anything, you can use their wifi.

:apple::apple::apple:

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Depending on whether you're looking for a place to stop into for a few minutes or longer, public libraries in most places have free wifi.

5. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

Many restaurants have WiFi and I know cafe type places like Panera offer it.

6. iwuzbord macrumors 6502

iwuzbord

well. since i live in nyc, there are lots of places that offer free wifi.

like previously said, lots of libraries, cafe's. t-mobile stores (lol, for the hotspot @home service)

this website here shows you all of the wifi hotspots in your area using google maps. turns out to be quite handy on occasion.

7. dmcman73 macrumors newbie

I live in Long Island, New York and our Cable provider just rolled out WiFi through out Long Island and it's free to use as long as you are a Optonline customer (their internet). There are no passcodes to use in the WiFi settings and WiFi will connect with no problems. The only thing it requires is for you to use your web browser and it will automatically go to a log in page. Enter your username and password you would use for your Optonline email account and your in. Minimize that webpage you used to log in and you can surf the net for as long as you want, no time limits or data usage to worry about. My Touch works great with it and it's fast.