What's your favorite Asian instant noodle(s)?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by coolwater, Jun 27, 2009.

1. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

Either cooking it in the boiling water over the stove or just pouring hot water in the cup/bowl, what's your favorite Asian instant noodle?

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Nong Shim.

Korean ramen is the best in the world (even better than the Japanese ones), and out of the Korean ones, Nong Shim is probably the best. :) Nearly all of them are spicy though. This one is spicy enough to make a grown man cry, especially if you only add half the water with the powder so that the flavour is more dense.

[​IMG]

And here's a Nong cup. It's not as spicy as the packet "brick" noodle, but its easier and may taste better. Don't fill this with water either.

[​IMG]

3. millerj123 macrumors 6502a

Thai Kitchen. Instant rice noodles, so nothing's been fried. I can't use all the flavor pack, though.

4. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

そば麺

There's nothing like some freshly made Soba!!

[​IMG]
    I don't meant he dehydrated type people buy in shops, I want the freshly made stuff by someone with a soba license!!!

5. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

These are as instant as they come. Helped me to lose 45lbs. in 3 1/2 months without starving myself.

Attached Files:

6. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

I second that. Nothing beats the real thing. I can eat real udon or soba noodles ; but, I cannot go for those instant noodle things.

7. suneun macrumors member

Nong Shim Kimchee flavor! I do think they changed their ingredients a few years back though, to remove the palm oil. It's a bit less tasty than the old version. Also I cook it this way: Boil a little less water than suggested, add spices and noodles. When noodles are almost cooked (still a bit hard), put the noodles on the dish. Pour out about half the seasoned liquid, bring back to boil. Add an egg and cook it (mix it up) in the ramen liquid. Pour cooked egg over noodles. Enjoy!

Also for Vegetarians, be aware that many kimchee flavored ramens have things like shrimp or anchovy sauce in them for flavoring. I think Nong Shim has been vegetarian for a while.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Mi Goreng is gross. If you like that, you must be Australian. :p

9. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Umm... I can make real Udon, takes me about 15mins but it's nicer when someone else makes it cause I can just relax!! :):)

10. coolwater thread starter macrumors 6502a

coolwater

Right. But, I'd rather cook than do the dishes. ;)

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

It's not even a fair comparison though. :confused:

Of course fresh soba is going to be better than instant noodles like Nong Shim, or more appropriately, Nissin, since it's Japanese.

However, soba isn't ramen. :p It's great served cold, unlike ramen, which I need to have with soup.

And the most unfair part of this comparison is that the best soba I've eaten is always in a restaurant near the top of a mountain, or somewhere else that's in the countryside.

12. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Like others have said..

[​IMG]

Soba Noodles usually served cold and dipped in a soup base made from soy sauce and rice wine. Very satisfying. Of course goes well with sake.

13. coolwater thread starter macrumors 6502a

coolwater

Perhaps, because those places usually have better water and more fresh ingredients.

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

My point is that Soba isn't ramen. ;) It's like comparing a car to a motorcycle.

You're comparing instant ramen to fresh soba. They're cooked and eaten in a completely different way.

I guess I could understand it if people were saying that they would only eat "real" ramen, even the kind you get at cheap restaurants. But soba? :confused:

15. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

[​IMG]

i don't like these the best, but I tend to eat these the most. :(

We have a hot water dispenser at work and it takes under 120 seconds to prepare. I routinely dump the dried veggies tho.

16. timerollson macrumors 65816

What crawled onto your noodle plate?

17. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Your quite right!! They're made from completely different ingredients too!!

Real Japanese Soba is made solely of Buckwheat and a little water and loads of elbow grease cause it's made by hand and chopped into shape by hand. The commercial crap that's exported in the dehydrated state is manufactured by machines and probably contain loads of impurities.

For a decent serving of quality Soba, I pay 800~1000円. For that I'm usually stuffed! :)

OK.. best set the record straight. Despite Nissan being a Japanese company the original Ramen product isn't. Like 99% of the stuff made today, Ramen was invented by the Chinese and introduced to Japan and the rest of the world. For me, instant/packaged Ramen always has a nasty foam on top of the water when cooked put it feels artificial, waxy if you will... probably because it's made from cheap ingredients??

Freshly made Ramen is lovely, moist and soft; when cooked it doesn't have any of the horrid foam that reminds me of sewage waterways... LOL

Typically, freshly made ramen sells for 400~600円 a bowl.
    The nasty instant stuff goes for 100~180円. There's no comparison really. 

18. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Ain't you heard of dishwashers in your parts of the world? :p

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I can assure you it's not Mi Goreng. :p

Yep. I've even paid double that! :eek: That was with no tempura or anything. I ground up my own wasabi, and after 30-40 minutes, they came out with some soba, and chives. It was really good though!! Well worth the wait.

It's true, but I boil the noodles in hot water, drain all the water out of the pot, pour the noodles into a bowl, add the flavour packet to the noodles, and add some hot water afterwards. All the waxiness is gone if you use fresh water. :)

To be fair though, even bad, or average ramen shops charge around 500円. This describes what you'd find in the centre of most big cities.

In some ways, I'd prefer Nong Shim's Shin Ramyun over bad restaurant ramen.

20. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Korean ramen >>> Japanese ramen, assuming we're talking about the instant, prepackaged stuff.

OTOH, for fresh ramen, Japanese ramen >>> Korean ramen.

To bring fresh soba into this conversation is like bringing in freshly made french fries into a conversation about your favorite potato chip.

BTW, Nong Shim is the company name, Shin is the ramen's flavor or name.

21. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I have a recipe for my own. Get the right noodles and it takes just as long (or short) to cook from scratch. And better fer ya.

22. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

These pretty much got me through college.

[​IMG]

along with these.

[​IMG]

23. coolwater thread starter macrumors 6502a

coolwater

Next time, try right amount of water with half the powder. You'll discover a new taste.