What's your favorite decade from last century?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Unspeaked, Jan 22, 2010.

?

What's your favorite decade of the 19XXs?

1. 1990s

12 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. 1980s

10 vote(s)
    22.7%
  3. 1970s

8 vote(s)
    18.2%
  4. 1960s

6 vote(s)
    13.6%
  5. 1950s

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  6. 1940s

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  7. 1930s

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 1920s

4 vote(s)
    9.1%
  9. 1910s

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1900s

2 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

The movies, the music, the literature, the fashion, the food - what decade from the last century rises above the rest and can safely be called your favorite?

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

The 80's. It was the last time anything truly original happened with regards to all those things. Everything since has been rehash of other decades. The 90's recycled the 60's and 70's. The 2000's rehashed parts of the 80's, still mixed with 70's. Truly boring and uninspired times.

3. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

4. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

80s were good for me, then again, maybe it was just that the "30s" were good for me. Regardless, between the two, my age and what I did then, that was a fine decade.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It sure was. Plus, the fact that you could get away with a lot more and just have more fun back then. Now, there are so many rules in place that life has lost a bit of it's flair.

6. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I've always been fascinated with the roaring 20s. It seems like a lot of societal norms were being pushed back then, and it would have been fun to experience it.

7. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

I thought the 80s sucked until I experienced the 90s and 2000s. I'll take bad hair, strange fashion, new wave music over the crap we have going on in the world today.

contenders: 60s, 70s

8. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

90s, only cause i was born then :D, but i like a lot of rock music from the 90s so it's all good.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Really? The economy was so horrible. The energy crisis was the thing I remember most about the 70's. They would turn off the lights in our classrooms for several hours a day. Fortunately we had large windows that let in lots of light. Then there were the gas lines, etc. It was a very scary time.

10. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Overall, I'd say the 1980's and the 1920's were the two best decades.

Most of my nostalgia and fond memories come from the 80's. That's when I was a kid. I don't have too many rich memories from the 90's. By then, the sense of wonder was gone. Movies, music and food. Defintely the 80's! Fashion...hell no. I never want to go back to 80's fashion and style. The 70's had nasty fashion too. I think the 1920's had the best fashion for men. Fashion for women...any decade after the miniskirt was introduced. Too many women started wearing pants in the 80's, 90's and on. I'm not a fan of women wearing pants (or skirts that go below the knees).

11. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Oh yeah. Give me a zoot suit, fedora, and a Tommy Gun any day. :D
    And I love flapper girls and bobbed hair cuts.

Personally, I'm trying to forget the 80s, and the fact that I was a teenager during that decade. More importantly, I'm trying to destroy all photographic evidence of that fact, but my mother and grandmother have hidden them really well. The early 90s are a bit of a blur for me. I had a bit too much fun those first couple of years in college.

12. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Very true. I asked myself why didn't the youth come up with new cutting edge stuff in music, clothes, slang, etc. There were some original things in the '80s, less in the '90s, and beyond that, the biggest lack of originality I have ever seen.

I put in the 1970s because that's when I discovered girls, guitars, my love for small models/science, and I became aware of my individuality. Of course had those things happened to me in a prior decade, I would have put that time period.

I know much more happened in the 1960s than probably any single decade for the west, but I was too young to comprehend just how important that decade was for the United States, and probably many other countries.

Besides the obvious of Kennedy being shot and the Beatles, the 1960s had the civil rights movement, the women's movement, the moon landing, a start of a polar shift in US politics, and an explosion in mass media which may have had an influence on how people perceived the Vietnam war. It was a time when the communist expansion took a hit with China and the US establishing relations and while this didn't end the cold war, it was ultimately the deciding factor which gave the balance of power to the west. And besides the Beatles, who changed pop music forever, there were a ton of other artists and bands that came onto the music scene and created a change unlike anything seen before it, including Elvis or Sinatra.

13. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

The 20s seem overly romanticized to me.

How come no one ever talks about the 00s or the 40s?

I suppose a war was going on for part of the 40s, but still...

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Any decade that I'm still alive in is my favorite :D

15. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I've been thinking the same thing -- but always felt that it was just me. It seems that there are so many more regulations in place these days. In past decades everyone was always worried about repression if the "communists" took over but it seems that's happened anyway.

As for my favorite decade so far I'd also go with the 80's and a close second would be the 70's. My third choice is this new decade--lots of interesting technological developments on the way.

16. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

90s. Mainly, because I lived it, old enough to have fun and be my own person.

The 00s were the end of an era, though. The world lost an innocence with WWI. An ideal was lost just a few years later, man was learning to fly, to drive and the jazz age was just about on the horizon.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It sure did. I tell the youngin's in the office what we used to do when we went out and their chins hit the ground.

18. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

So true; now there are rules requiring helmets to ride a bike (but not a motorcycle interestingly), a skateboard, to ski, etc. It's just a matter of time before a helmet will be required to walk. Personally, I liked the 70s .. I was a kid and can remember many days during the summers when we'd run around the neighbourhood naked ... if a kid did that now he'd be given 10 years in juvvie and required to register as a sex offender.

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Or you'd be put in a foster home for fear that your parents were neglecting you.

Yes, a lot of this might make people a little safer, but we've lost a lot of what makes life fun too.

20. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

21. TSE macrumors 68030

22. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I think you have lots of company in the poll.

Yep.

The question did not involve economic conditions.

Good one! :D

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Aside from my any decade I'm alive crack.

I'd say the 70s were my favorite. Something about growing up in the 70s made it more enjoyable then any other decade so far.

24. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

YES .. there was that too! :D