What's your favorite iPhone feature?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Michael CM1, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I've been using a lot of them, but I have to go with using the earbuds that came with it to make a phone call. I cannot stand the phone quality of almost every phone I use (especially those junk ones at work), and it's a lot easier when you have audio in both ears and don't have to hold that darn thing up to your ear. I consider this quite amazing since the one thing I was worried about was phone call quality.

Others that I would give honorable mention to are Google Maps, Mail, Alarm, and a Web App I found called "Miles" in which I can store fill-up info on my car. I seriously love the air-raid siren that is the "alarm" ringtone, which I use for the alarms.

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Definitely the viewing of full-length movies (widescreen) with my Bose In-Ear Headphones! Everything else is a runner-up. :p

3. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

I'd have to say the one I'm using right now, the Internet in my pocket. Its almost embarassing how much I use the Internet on this thing.

4. alansmallen macrumors 6502a

5. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

SMS messages appearing like an IM chat is my single favorite feature. I expected and found the iPhone to be good at everything it was advertised to do but this one feature just stands out for me.

6. MrStevieP macrumors newbie

7. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

8. Surely Guest

Surely

I think that the unlimited data is the best feature, which obviously ties into the internet and email features.

I find myself checking my minutes (1400, shared family plan with one other phone) almost daily (especially near the end of my billing cycle), but I love that I don't have to worry about how much browsing I do or email I send.

Honorable mention to the make-your-own-sundae feature.

9. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Internet..... no more taking the paper with me in to the bathroom at work.. Just bring in my trusty iPhone! All is good.

:)

10. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

1. Internet and Email...Use RSS reader all day long to check for updated news and when my work computer blocks a web site that I want to go to, I just pull it up on the iPhone
    2. Media Player...Podcasts, Audio Books and Music are listened to daily

The one I am waiting for that will move into number 2 is Enterprise and being to auto sync my work calender. (They won't let us install itunes...BLOCKED)

11. nyboilermaker macrumors member

I love my iPhone.

Funny thing is that the mail program isn't that good (especially for multiple accounts), the SMS program isn't that great (no MMS), the camera (doesn't have video or zoom, b&w, etc), and I can't use my headset without an adapter.

The total product, (overall design, ease of use, screen clarity, web, movies) is dynamite, but software-wise, Palm did it better, but the iPhone is probably the best PDA I've ever used.

The good news is that software can be fixed.

Can't wait for 2.0 and the SDK apps.

-NYB

12. atluten macrumors 6502

This is definitely my favorite feature, as being able to check things on the internet and handle emails wherever I am is fantastic. Cheers.

13. Olvenskol macrumors member

I love a lot of things about my iPhone, but, by far, the most valuable feature is this....

I can read the screen without my glasses.

14. Surely Guest

Surely

Seconded! I love that I can use it in bed without wearing my glasses.:cool:

15. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

Ha! I'd love to know just how much damage to the newspaper and magazine industries the iPhone has done for this reason alone. I know I quit leaving magazines on the back of the toilet since I got mine.

16. Michael CM1 thread starter macrumors 603

In all seriousness, newsprint costs just effed up ours big time. I think they went up about 25% in a few months. I concluded that newsprint is made from oil and diamonds.

The problem with newspapers online (aside from perhaps USA Today's mobile site) is FLASH. Even our sub-100,000 subscriber newspaper uses Flash for a few ads. It usually just doesn't display them, but Safari often kinda crashes on sites that use Flash.

Hopefully that Flash plug-in can come soon because our entire county is covered by 3G. I would think about finding a way to develop a mobile site (or get someone to figure it out), but it's hard enough to get everything working on the regular site. :)

If you ask me, if we could get more people to read stuff where we could put ads but not pay for that uber-expensive newsprint and ink, YAY. Our industry fluctuates with newsprint like the shipping business does with oil prices. Ick.

17. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

i almost exclusively use my iPhone for all of my e-mail needs.

a close 2nd is google maps

i rarely use my GPS anymore, because honestly, i know where i am, but i do not always know where i need to be. the 'current position' function made google maps just that much cooler. . . now if someone could stick a GPS on the google maps that would be the coolest!

18. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

For me, it's being able to access the Internet; the real Internet. If the iPhone existed 2-1/2 years ago, I probably would've bought an iMac instead of a MacBook. :)

19. fr33 loader macrumors regular

Letting me re-arrange my buttons the way I please it.

Internet, my wife leaves me sitting on a mall for an hour with no complaints from me. My daughter also noted that it takes me longer to use the bathroom if I had my iPhone in my hands going in. Exchanges my phone for a magazine.

Google maps search.

A lot more....

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Thirded! I've only noticed this recently (and only with an iPod Touch), but to use something without glasses is quite liberating :eek:

21. c104 macrumors newbie

My favorite feature is having to individually delete every sms message.
    I get 2500 txt messages a month
    i love it so much my fingers hurt...2.0 save me from Carpal Tunnel.

Matt

22. Michael CM1 thread starter macrumors 603

Somewhere a 14-year-old girl read this and said, "Just 2,500? What a poser. My 11-year-old brother gets that many. Talk to me when you get 18,000/month, you old fart!"

23. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

The coolness factor. That alone is simply amazing.

24. MacDryCleaner macrumors regular

The World's Three Greatest Companies

You know, for me the absolute most impressive thing about the iPhone is the iPhone itself. How often do we see a product come along where there always seems to be some aspect of the product that ends up disappointing all of us.

Not so with the iPhone. My experience has been that the iPhone was just a little bit undersold by Jobs and Company. The experience of the iPod, phone and internet in my pocket has exceeded expectations in all three categories in my opinion. I knew when I watch Steve Jobs present the iPhone that it was going to be incredible, but I thought "there must be something that just isn't quite up to par" and "I don't think this is going to be one of those devices that really changes the game." Of course, I was wrong. The iPhone is better than advertised and it is THE game changer in mobile devices.

I think there are three companies in the world that really belong in the upper echelon of companies and why:

1. Apple Computer. Innovation and commitment to quality. My goodness, they started out in a garage and built a world wide company and really have come out with revolutionary products that most companies only get to do once during their lifetime.

2. Fedex. Service, service, service. This company started out with a single plane and Fred Smith made it into a world wide 'must have'. The customer service and support simply blows away every other courier company no matter how much bigger they may be.

3. McDonalds. Service. Maybe not so much quality here but the company has stuck with what it originally started out as and has simply and always focused on being the best at what they are and not stepping really too far out from what their original focus was. Now, of course, they dominate. Except for one year they have never had a non-profitable year.

What are your three favorite companies?

I know, kind of a ridiculously long answer to my favorite iphone feature. Sorry.

25. Michael CM1 thread starter macrumors 603

McDonald's? Dude. They must have different ones from the stores we have here. I'm lucky to get "take your order" and the total from the people working there. I will give them credit for putting nutrition info on the packaging, but that could've just been from intense pressure.

As an Atlantan, I have to give props to UPS. All the other big companies in town are leaving, but UPS, Home Depot, and Coke seem to be staying.

Starbucks is extremely good at making you feel like a welcomed guest. Their actual coffee isn't that expensive ($2 for about 24 ounces) and they go through crazy steps to make sure it's not bad quality.

I'm also a fan of Toyota. They got the hybrid thing really started and forced others to follow. I've had my Camry for two years now, and nothing has gone wrong *knock on wood* that wasn't your standard replacement (oil, tires, brakes) and it has an audio input jack. Woot.