Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ketorose

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
I'm still waiting on my 6+ 128 SG to ship, and I have a TPU bumper case and tempered glass screen protector, but just to be on the safe side I'd like something more rigid to protect the back of the phone. (BTW I'm a girl and the phone will be floating around in my purse)

Do you guys have any recommendations for low profile rigid cases that will protect the structural integrity of the phone and preserve the beauty of the phone as much as possible? I don't mind spending money if its good quality, and it must not interfere with a tempered glass screen protector.

Pics of your cases are welcome. Thanks!

Last edited:

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
The absolute lowest profile you can possibly get is the air skin:

http://www.spigen.com/brands/apple/iphone/iphone-6/iphone-6-plus/iphone-6-plus-case-air-skin.html

It's kind of like having a screen protector on the back and sides. This thing is THIN. (For example, you can see the Apple logo through all of them, not just the clear version.)

As such, it's solely for preventing scratches in purses and on tables not much else. It would do nothing for drops.

My wife likes hers, but for her it's a choice between this and nothing. If you're contemplating cases I'll guess that this probably won't satisfy you. But I thought I'd mention it.

cg006

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2012
Had the air case but returned it.. The camera is not protected but yeah.. awesome fit. Just protect from scratches. Thats it.

BigMar89

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
Apple Leather case, so thin yet great grip. Leather is so soft especially adding a leather conditioner (makes it look a lot better actually) and gives it classy minimalistic look

Alimar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
New York State
I'm still waiting on my 6+ 128 SG to ship, and I have a TPU bumper case and tempered glass screen protector, but just to be on the safe side I'd like something more rigid to protect the back of the phone. (BTW I'm a girl and the phone will be floating around in my purse)

Do you guys have any recommendations for low profile rigid cases that will protect the structural integrity of the phone and preserve the beauty of the phone as much as possible? I don't mind spending money if its good quality, and it must not interfere with a tempered glass screen protector.

Pics of your cases are welcome. Thanks!

Apple leather case.

Attachments

• iPhone.jpg
    iPhone.jpg
    332.4 KB · Views: 186

BigMar89

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
I had this same case for my iPhone 5s and dropped it many times and not a single scratch. So I bought the same thing for my 6 Plus. I love that it's so thin and doesn't add any bulk to the phone.

I purchased the Classic Check for my 6 Plus and although it seemed sturdy and padded enough for drops against the sides or back of the phone I really didn't like the Orange D30 edges nor the checkered pattern. Also felt it made the phone wider although I liked the minimal lip as you felt more of the curved glass on it.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
I have a Gold 6+ with an Olive Brown Apple Leather case.

It looks good. It's temporary, though. I fully plan to go for a Speck Grip case when they come out. They add minimal bulk and the "grip" part is SOOO helpful.

I tried one on a 6 and it was wonderful.

BigMar89

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
I have a Gold 6+ with an Olive Brown Apple Leather case.

It looks good. It's temporary, though. I fully plan to go for a Speck Grip case when they come out. They add minimal bulk and the "grip" part is SOOO helpful.

I tried one on a 6 and it was wonderful.

I've also been waiting for Speck to release their 6 Plus line since they've been my case brand of choice since the 3GS but can't go wrong with the Apple Leather case. Speck for go-to every day and Apple leather for night outs.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
I've also been waiting for Speck to release their 6 Plus line since they've been my case brand of choice since the 3GS but can't go wrong with the Apple Leather case. Speck for go-to every day and Apple leather for night outs.

Exactly!

This is my plan, too.

Hank3rd

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2014
I bought a Spigen thin armour and it was not easy to hold the phone. I was in a T-Mobile store pickng up sims for an international trip and they had a bodyglove one that is really nice, so I bought it. It even has a bigger lip on the screen side. Sorry I do not have. Pick right now.

Ketorose

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! They're all pretty slick and it seems like there's some nice options out there for low profile cases. Probably my favorite so far is the Spigen Neo Hybrid, but I will definitely look into the others. :D Those hideous otterbox cases just make me gag (no offense if you're a fan of those)!

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I just got my Spigen Neo Hybrid Metal Series (Metal Blue) today in the mail. I recieved two of them actually. So far so good.

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon
Apple Leather case, so thin yet great grip. Leather is so soft especially adding a leather conditioner (makes it look a lot better actually) and gives it classy minimalistic look

I fully agree with the leather case proponents. The texture and slight increase in thickness make the 6+ much easier to hold. The slight lip on the front protects the screen when laid face down.

6thDAY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
I just got my Spigen Neo Hybrid Metal Series (Metal Blue) today in the mail. I recieved two of them actually. So far so good.

Can you post some pictures of it in your plus?

And do you notice any change in reception with it on versus off since it's aluminum?

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Can you post some pictures of it in your plus?

And do you notice any change in reception with it on versus off since it's aluminum?

Here are the photos. Sorry if the quality is bad, I took it with my ipad mini retina.

And no there is no change in reception. I always get full bars everywhere. So no, it does not have any affect on reception issues. Also ran the speedtest. Still good.

Attachments

• IMG_0030.JPG
    IMG_0030.JPG
    902 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_0031.JPG
    IMG_0031.JPG
    841.5 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_0032.JPG
    IMG_0032.JPG
    919.8 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_0036.JPG
    IMG_0036.JPG
    1,018.4 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_0037.JPG
    IMG_0037.JPG
    969.2 KB · Views: 147
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.