What's your favorite Mac vs. PC ad?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ctmpkmlec4, Mar 9, 2015.

1. ctmpkmlec4 macrumors 6502

ctmpkmlec4

To those of you who have seen some, most, or all of the Mac vs. PC ads, which is your favorite?

I think my favorite is when PC is all bandaged up after someone tripped on his power cord (advertisement for the mag safe charger). There are others I think are hilarious, but that one came to mind the quickest.

2. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

Never seen that one. However I never understood them because Mac's ARE PCs technically.

3. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I always like the one where the PC is sick with a virus

4. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

5. comda macrumors 6502a

comda

I always though apple released some of the funniest and sarcastic commercials, well aside to the classic ones of John Clease with the Compaq Portables in the late 1980's. I found the commercials with Jeff Goldblum telling us that beige boxes are ugly computers.

However my favourite one was released before apples shiny glory days. This commercial is a cheesy one showing that apples machines where serious business computers..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQmt_OplKBg

6. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

hahaha that is a good one

7. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

The iMovie one where he says it's a work in progress. :D

8. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Why is this in the PPC forum? The Mac vs. PC ads started in 2006 in the early days of Apple switching from PPC to Intel. This is was when they dropped "Power" from everything and replaced it with "Pro" (which angered many). White plastic was still in style. Mac/MacBook Pro's still looked like their PPC predecessors, as did the iMac's and Mac Mini's. People considered Apple's styling stagnant.

I never liked the Mac vs. PC campaign for some reason.

9. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Why not?

This doesn't fit the other forums. The other forums are more of the theme of the latest devices. They're the mainstream forums. This forum is the nostalgiaistic forum of the classic PowerPC Macs, and the ads we are talking about are very close. Even if they are actually for the intel era, it belongs here.

Also, the mainstream forums are flowing so fast that not many people would notice.

It belongs here.

10. A.Goldberg, Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2015

A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Apple Collectors would be a good choice of going the nostalgia route. Community Forum would be another acceptable route. Honestly I don't care but it brings me to this history lesson/diatribe.

I'm 25 years old but I still remember the hayday of OS 8, 9, and the majestic release of the i-products. Then the release of 10.2/3 (10.0 and 10.1 were not great) which solidified the PPC Golden Era. Intel Macs for me have little nostalgic value. We are truly the nostalgic ones here I will assume and the iPhone iPad fan boys probably won't understand us.

If you want to talk about separating us from "them", us Apple, PPC users back then were a small niche group of people. The "them"/mainstream people were using windows XP and getting their Dells dude. The switch from PPC to Intel brought over a lot of Windows customers which is basically "them" people. They don't appreciate the product to the same extent they just buy it because it's the cool thing to do and they might get some looks from the 9000 other people using their MacBook Air at Starbucks.

In my opinion, Intel Mac ads just represent the exodus of the "mainstream" to Apple. Back in the PPC days people would say look this $2499 PowerBook is 1GHz while this Dell Laptop is $1249 and 2.5Ghz- so it's half the price and twice as fast why would I buy a Mac. They were different processors archetecture so the clock speed was irrelevant- Apples to oranges pun intended. You wouldn't believe how many people got hung up on that! Around 2003 Apples were around what- 1.25Ghz-1.5 G4's on average? PC Pentium 4's were ballpark 2.4 to 3+ GHz. Spec and price wise PC's looked way better.

Most people thought Windows > Mac because most people's experience had stopped well before OS X. Pre-OS X, i.e. feels pretty primitive to Windows 98/2000/XP. There were a lot of myths about not being able to use MS Office and comparability issues. Additionally, the younger generations (College, young adults) were the booming force in computer sales and many people used Apple in schools growing up. Apples were popular in education in the 90's and then dropped off by the early 00s. That meant no OS X exposure. The way you feel about PCs now is how people felt about macs- "they're garbage".

But Apple roles out these adds. People said, oh these computers look cute and cost just a little more for the same processor specs. My iPod works with them too. AND I can still run windows if I need to (heard that justification so many times). Apple was smart and pushed the boot camp/parallels thing knowing people would appreciate the peace of mind of familiarity (windows) by knowing they'd never go back.

Over time people seem to care less about listed processor speeds because of new processor, more energy efficent designs with lower clock speed. Also most PCs use Intel so your now comparing Apples to apples. People came to like Apple I think because of 2 major reasons. 1. Aesthetics and 2. Better software reliability than PCs. PCs and their viruses and spyware and Trojans and malware and all that crap. Ugh. Apples just worked. Let's face it most PCs still look like crap today.

So then these people continue to draw in the mainstream market. They're happy with their computers. But to most it's just an appliance, a luxury appliance- like a stainless steel refrigerator. I think most people now buy macs because it matches their latte, cardigan, and skinny jeans.

So for me the Intel transition brought over the mass market which has been great in some ways but bad in others. One of the bad things is just the loss of the small pure niche community that appreciated macs for their true essence. They had an emotional connection to the product itself, not the image of it. Rumors were rumors. Surprises were surprising. You could see a Mac user in public and think "that's a smart guy, he's knows something PC schmucks don't". Stock was $20 per share (prior to a few splits and dividends payouts along the way). Now people know Apples next product before they do because they're such a force in the economy.

I'm happy we have our own little fairy land here where we can play out our PPC era fantasies... And for so much cheaper now. I'm glad you're all here.

Now get this Intel crap out of here ;)

(Oh God I'm starting to sound like my Grandfather with the "listen here son, In my day...")

11. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I don't mean to sound super bitter. A lot of good things have come from Apple's popularity. It's just all that nostalgic emotion pouring out of me.

12. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

13. ctmpkmlec4 thread starter macrumors 6502

ctmpkmlec4

Take it easy, Ari. I put it here because this is where I am most active and I wanted to see the responses of those of you with whom I am familiar. I think us PowerPC guys are a bit more tightly knit than the mainstream folk. If I had posted this in the Desktop forum, most folks would have had to search for the ads on YouTube to know what I was talking about. Now... You're a pharmacist; go take a chill pill. ;)

14. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

I strongly advise against this. Why should he intoxicate himself just to chill down when he can just chill down without it?!

15. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

I have a feeling that was a very purposeful decision.

The Mac Pro was just the Power Mac G5 chassis with another optical drive.
    The iMac was nigh-indistinguishable.
    The MacBook Pro was a warmed over PowerBook G4
    The Mac mini was near-identical.

Only the MacBook was a departure from the iBook. And that was FULLY understandable, since the iBook was a very outdated design.

My thought is that they kept everything similar/the same to decrease the "shock" of the Intel switch. "See! Everything's the same! The same old familiar Mac you're used to, just a little better inside." Then do the style switch later, once everyone had gotten used to it.

16. QSDP-User macrumors regular

QSDP-User

17. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Mmm Xanax. Drugs are bad kids. My intention was just to say what the Mac people thought roughly 10 years ago. Like I said I honestly don't care it here I just thought it was ironic. Most Mac users don't even know what PPC was so I guess there night be a little justification.

----------

Yes, Apples engineering is not only aesthetically pleasing, well built, and well designed, it's a peice of art. I'm not saying I was unhappy with the designs, I'm just reflecting on how people complained that they didn't change up he styling enough... Which is still the case now! I remember when the first Mac Pro came out a bunch of people were quite upset that it looked the same.

I do however miss the PB G4 design. That computer was way ahead of its time. The MacBook was a huge improvement over the iBook which honestly I had to be the worst computer they ever made (particularly the G3). The widescreen display was much appreciated. The 12" was handy because it was small but it's not great to use. In the whole Mac vs PC debate back then virtually no one made a 12" laptop except maybe a high end ThinkPad or Lattude. The term ultra book did not exist.

----------

Aw what a good friend. Believe me I don't want anyone to end up being a person who must intoxicate themselves to deal with emotions... Good or Bad. I work with these people every day. It's a miserable life.

18. ctmpkmlec4 thread starter macrumors 6502

ctmpkmlec4

'Twas but a joke. :)

19. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

'Twas but a baaad joke
    You tryin' to get peopl' to become drugatics? You shouldn't say anything promoting drugatics or alcoholics.

20. ctmpkmlec4 thread starter macrumors 6502

ctmpkmlec4

You took it too literally. Now, I'm done defending myself. I wasn't promoting drug use. Telling someone to take a chill pill is a figure of speech meaning someone should calm down. Right now, this applies to you.

21. weckart macrumors 68040

I never liked any of them. They achieved nothing but feeding the Mac users are smug, self-satisfied hipsters argument.

Products should speak for themselves; once you need to try to gain a competitive advantage by bashing the competition, you are basically admitting that your selling point is that your product is not so much good as not as flawed as others on the market. The least worst option. Yeah, that really gets my buy juices flowing.

Sorry, was this off topic?

22. ctmpkmlec4 thread starter macrumors 6502

ctmpkmlec4

Lol, not at all. Rather, it was refreshing to read someone else's educated feedback. Thanks for getting us back ON topic.

23. poiihy, Mar 13, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2015

poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

HERE PEOPLE LOOK
    WATCH ALL THESE ADS AND FORGET ABOUT MATTHEW!
    (edit: nevermind above, those posts were deleted)

24. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

25. MatthewLTL, Mar 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2015

MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

I watched all the ads, Gotta say, some were funny, some were stupid and some were pointless. Windows Vista wasn't actually that bad on computers made for it. Things "Just Work" out of the box with any Windows computer if you buy a manufactured one as all the drivers are just there. I used vista for a long time. My Dell laptop came with vista and it works pretty well after SP2 Vista is just as good as Windows 2000.