what's your favorite multi IM app?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by roisin and mac, Jan 16, 2010.

1. roisin and mac macrumors 6502

Hey there, up until recently I had Microsoft messenger for mac, plus a bunch of people who I wasn't chatting with because they were on different clients I hadn't gotten around to downloading on my mac, so now I want to do some housekeeping. Especially since I strongly suspect Microsoft Messenger is an evil app that made my computer CPU run too much, and is also under investigation for getting a Win machine in the house so tangled up it brought down the wifi for everyone (one more instance where I was thanking the gods of tech for the iphone, since I could still get online).

Anyway this time I want to do things right and get a GREAT app :) I want it to talk to as many clients as possible, and be light 'n airy so that I can have it on working in the background all the time if possible (macbook is the 2.2GHz 120GB model from about 2 years ago). Money-wise, obviously free is nice, but most of all I want to do this right, so I don't object to paying a bit. It also doesn't need to be fancy and allow sound/video messaging, although transmitting files is really handy when you want to show a person a picture nice and quick - be handy to have that.

I really wanted to add a poll, but I don't know what the options could be :( So, give me all your favorites! Then I'll see if I can add a poll at a later date )dunno if that's possible).

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Adium.

Only downside is that it doesn't do video.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Adium X is the best one ever made. In second place comes Trillian but that's a very far second place.

4. roisin and mac thread starter macrumors 6502

hey guys, thanks for the answers. stupid question, but just to check: adium and adium x are the same thing right?? I mean it's not that adium X is a different version of adium?

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yes it does, it's just not very good.

6. roisin and mac thread starter macrumors 6502

you guys, don't worry about video, it's handy to know there's a way to add it, but it's not a priority for me. Compatibility with a maximum of clients is, and it certainly offers that! I consider myself a keen IMer (well, at least I was until I got the mac and didn't get around to installing an app other than MSN) and there are clients it supports that I'd never even heard of :)

7. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Ah, cool. I meant built-in but it's cool that there's an extra for that.

9. roisin and mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi there, just an update, I can happily announce that I have downloaded adium now, and have even used it a couple of times already, and it's great! I especially love that it doesn't seem to have a character limit like MSN, at least not one that is as short as that was. It was a pain every time you wanted to discuss anything more thoroughly, as when working together on a document or something.

So, another instance where the macrumors community helped me solve a problem! you guys rock :)

10. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Pidgin if I'm on Linux or Windows. Adium for OS X.