Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smharmon

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2004
I got the Tucano second skin today from outpost.com, it is really nice, high quality, and water proof (althought I won't test this out for you!). I really like it, and it has good looks. No padding though, just something to help with the bumps of college backpack.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
Tucano Second Skin is by far the best of anything I've seen. As previously mentioned, available only at Outpost.com in the US. I've owned two of them now, and they are the best combination of size/padding there is available. Go for it! It's only $25

Mem

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2004
Does anyone have the Booq 15 inch Powersleeve? Can you recommed it? From all the possible homes for my new Powerbook I've seen, this is my favorite, but I'm wondering how it shapes up to others.

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
LMAO Gee, that's a brilliant case. but i wonder if it'll add to the security with all the hungry college students in univ. :p

TDM21

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
I found another place that sells the Tucan Second Skins in the states. It's called Royal Business.com. I'm going to buy mine from there tomorrow, the prices look good. ($14.95 for 12", $16.96 for 14", $17.95 for 15", and $19.95 for 17")

yinyang

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2003
sunny brisbane
Mem said:
Does anyone have the Booq 15 inch Powersleeve? Can you recommed it? From all the possible homes for my new Powerbook I've seen, this is my favorite, but I'm wondering how it shapes up to others.

i can recommend it for sure - it does its job well and looks the part. but i'll be getting a crumpler school hymn next week sometime, so will do a comparison - i was looking for something a bit less 'bulky' that would still offer a fair amount of protection... we'll see :)

i would have liked to given tom bihn a try, but by the time shipping etc was included it was pretty expensive to australia :(

Celeron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
Mem said:

I have the 12'' PowerSleeve. I think its fantastic! Its well padded, has a small pocket in the back that I keep a network cable and the mini-dvi VGA connector in. The powersupply fits nicely in the pocket on the flap. Its very well made, and really high quality through and through. I bought mine on a whim and I wasn't disappointed.

The carrying handle is nice and it comes with a shoulder strap, although I never use it. If you want I can take some more pictures when I'm done with class so you can see how my 12'' Powerbook fits in it.

Mem

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2004
Celeron said:
If you want I can take some more pictures when I'm done with class so you can see how my 12'' Powerbook fits in it.

That would be awesome, actually, but only if you have time. I'm not sure just how much bigger the 15 inch one would be but is it likely that I would be able to take off the should strap and throw the sleeve in a backpack?

Other combinations I'm looking at are the Crumpler School Hymm, so I can put it in a backback, or the Marware Sharkskin 15 in to do the same.

yinyang, I would love to hear your thoughts on how the Booq compares to the Crumpler once you get it.

Thanks

Edit: Would I be better off with the PowerSleeve 14

Celeron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
I'm sure it would fit into your bag no problem. The 12'' model is smaller than a standard 1'' three-ring binder. Here's the pictures, I didn't do anything to them other than resize, so if the quality is less than perfect I appologize.

Attachments

• case 001.jpg
    case 001.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 108
  • case 002.jpg
    case 002.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 103
  • case 003.jpg
    case 003.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 106
  • case 004.jpg
    case 004.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 86
  • case 005.jpg
    case 005.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 96

Mem

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2004
Thanks that helped me a lot! I'm glad to see that it fits into a normal sized backpack. I'm assuming that if the got the 14 inch (which says fits the 15 powerbook, even though that still sounds strange to me) it would fit into a casual Jansport backpack.

Did you order off the Booq website? I'm wondering how reliable they are.

Celeron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
Sure did, I had no problems at all. It shipped the very next day. I did FedEx Home Delivery shipping which cost me around $9.

yinyang

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2003
sunny brisbane
Mem said:
yinyang, I would love to hear your thoughts on how the Booq compares to the Crumpler once you get it.

Thanks

sorry Mem, but i've had to canel my order for the school hymn since it's taking way too long - ordered it a month ago, and the reseller has just been informed that it's still around two weeks away!! :confused:

so i'm sticking with the booq since it does what it's supposed to anyway!

btw ordering from booq, even from australia was fine - they're very good and helpful.

good luck with whichever sleeve you go with! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.