What's your favorite PPC Mac?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Volkstaia, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Volkstaia macrumors regular

Volkstaia

And why? I hope we get some cool stories about you guys's favorite experiences with your Macs. I like the G3 iMac, I got it when I was 10 in 2005 from my Dad's friend, I had no experience with Macs, it came running OS 9, after looking some stuff up I downloaded an OS X Panther image and installed it, had some fun times with that machine. Cool bedside DVD Player, too. Sad part is, I got bored one day, opened it up, and fried the motherboard. You can't trust ten year olds with complex tasks like opening up an old computer, I tell ya.

2. rjcalifornia macrumors 6502a

rjcalifornia

I don't understand your point...

3. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

Cypher. Feels as fast as 2010 MacPro. Is as fast as 2.53GHz MBP 2009.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

What specific model of PowerPC Macintosh is your personal favorite and why is it your personal favorite?

That's the question the OP is asking. He's hoping some of us have interesting stories to tell about our Macs because he'd like to hear them if we do.

He then goes on to mention how he ruined his own Mac. :(

Downloading a copy of OS X you didn't pay for could have been information left out of the original post though.

5. rjcalifornia macrumors 6502a

rjcalifornia

Oh ok, thanks for the clarification :)

6. kbfr08 macrumors 6502

kbfr08

iMac G4, no reason in particular... it's just so cooooool lol

[​IMG]

7. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

It was 2012 late may school was almost out, then the teacher came up to me and told me if I single-handedly installed ram and hdds, and updated the os x to tiger in tons of imac g3s and emacs. that I could take a couple home.

Some more senior members here may remember that one of the emacs drive bays were rigged by an ignorant kid so when you push the eject button the white door got flinged like a catapult into my forehead :p

I loved powerpc at that time, thought it was great nothing better than that summer of Power

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Favorite I never had: the first Quicksilver G4. Something about that speaker at the bottom just works for me.

Favorite I own: My 1Ghz 17" PowerBook G4. Because I had ALWAYS wanted the 17" model and I finally got it.

9. rjcalifornia macrumors 6502a

rjcalifornia

My favorites:

ibook G3 12"
    ibook G4 12"

I don't know, but I just love 12" laptops... Not too small, not too big, just... perfect...

10. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

I'm going to have to go with the Power Mac G4 Quicksilver or MDD.

Great design and all, but I think it really showed how Apple wanted everything to just work and look great doing it.

It has the ADC to have just one wire coming out of the display and the Apple Pro Audio jack, again, just one wire coming out of the speakers. The keyboard every daisychained a mouse to it to just have one wire connecting to the tower.

That's the main reason why I like them. I almost bought a really nice one today too, but I need to spend my money on other things. I know this will sit on my table for a few weeks and either I won't use it or I'll sell it.

11. wobegong Guest

My first was a dual 1.42 MDD/FW800 but that isn't in my list even though i loved it, that would have to go to it's successor a 20" G4 iMac I stupidly traded it in for (stupid because it was sloooooow) but it has to be said probably to this day the nicest looking computer ever assembled.

1. (pure design) G4 iMac
    2. (use & design) G5 Powermac

PPC's owned previously : 1.42 MDD, 1.25 G4 iMac, 1.67 Powerbook, 1.8 iMac G5, 2.3 Powermac (still owned).

12. mentaluproar macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

G4 iMac (design & usage)
    G4 cube (design, inside and out)

There is a lot in common between the G4 cube and the new Mac Pro when you think about it.

13. chibiterasu macrumors 6502

chibiterasu

The iMac G4, which is why I brought one last year, but I do like the indigo clamshells and aluminium PowerBooks, oh the cube and the powermacs, hummm I almost like everything from this PowerPC era.

14. ClamshellOfDoom macrumors member

The ibook Graphite firewire, hands down. I took that thing everywhere with me. I loved the handle and the ability to use it as a flashlight in a dark house. The power LED heartbeat rocked, too. And as far as it went, it was pretty upgradable, inside and out. I upgraded the RAM, replaced the noisy HDD with a CF adapter and used a CF card as the boot drive, bought Que! Fire CD-burner, used USB hubs, and so on.

Story: My apartment was broken into and the clueless thief stole my ibook but didn't get the yo-yo power cord. LOL! I figured that was a fitting punishment for him: a dead, old, computer which he couldn't appreciate and which he'd have a hard time pawning. The only thing that was a bummer is that a lot of code was stolen along with the computer and that put my interactive fiction game behind schedule, which it still hasn't recovered from (those things take time).

I'm kicking around a way to put a modern mac in a clamshell case. The form factor, keyboard, and color -- all in one package -- Apple hasn't equaled since.

15. Veinticinco macrumors 6502a

Veinticinco

Joint 1st place:
    G4 PowerBook (Titanium) and G4 Cube.
    Light years ahead of their time. I bought both in 2001, the latter is still very much alive and well.

Honourable mention to both the G3 iMac and its "Luxo" G4 spawn. Both examples of superbly designed computer hardware that imbued a sense of personality, a rare thing both then and now.

16. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

+1000. By far my favourite Mac of all time. My G4 with Tiger still kicks ass today.

17. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Can't pick a winner, but;

The Aluminium PowerBook G4 - the best design ever seen in the laptop world still to this day IMO. Beautiful lines, great set of speakers (that can't be said for current Mac laptops), awesome displays & the best keyboard I have EVER used period.

The PowerMac G5 - the fastest PowerPC machine ever made, that makes incredible by itself. It has the best design ever seen in the desktop world & shunted the notion that a big desktop workstation has to be a big ugly beige cable-mess (you could argue the G3 B&W did that, but the G5 took it to another level), and the fact they're still using the same case design 10 years on is a testament to that.

The iMac G3 - it 'saved' Apple, and introduced a sense of fashion & design to the tech world that was unheard of before. By far the most important product Apple has ever released.

The PowerMac G4 Cube - although it was a complete failure, I find it amazing how there is a fully fledged, UPGRADABLE tower spec'd computer in there. With the option of upgrading the CPU, the graphics cards & more.

The PowerMac G3 AIO - I'm still on the lookout to buy one of these. It has to the 'coolest' beige computer ever made.

18. spencers macrumors 68020

spencers

Sunflower iMac. Still have one sitting on the shelf at my parents home.

Closely followed by the Bondi Blue iMac. Those were some revolutionary times, man.

19. ihuman:D macrumors 6502a

The 17 or 20" 1.25GHz iMac G4 with Harmon Kandon speakers. They are just soooo cool! And with the speakers they sound great. They are still usable, great machines today, unfortunately I have a 17" not a 20" but beggars can't be choosers.

Then the Albook 15", then the QS, then the Cube. As someone said above the Cube and the new Mac Pro are very similar.

20. rjcalifornia macrumors 6502a

rjcalifornia

21. ihuman:D macrumors 6502a

I like the iBooks, especially the clamshells, but they are not my favourite.

22. SimonUK5 macrumors 6502

I had a lot of Love for my iBook G3, and lots of love for both my PowerBook G4s 12 and 15''. Never really bonded with any of the Powermacs or iMacs i've had though.

Next task is to find a Hard Drive Cable for my Lombard Powerbook :D

23. Volkstaia thread starter macrumors regular

Volkstaia

There was a macbook that a teacher was using, it mysteriously broke one day. I asked to take it home, and they let me! Replaced the harddrive, did a fresh install of Snow Leopard, Gave it to my brother, he was essentially going to college completely on loans, he needed a nice little laptop like it was.

24. Dhack21 macrumors newbie

No love for the G3 pismo? Dual hot swappable bays, FireWire, even the "upside down" Apple logo. That machine still hasn't been matched in terms of upgradeability from apple.

25. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Oh, man... Where do I start?

PowerBook 5300c: The first Macintosh I owned, my late-college laptop (replaced a monochrome 386 laptop.) Also the first mobile PowerPC.
    PowerBook Duo 2300c: Just the awesomeness of a Duo, but with a PowerPC!
    PowerBook G4 (Aluminum, 12", 867 MHz:) The first Mac I ever bought brand new, bought soon after the Aluminum line came out in 2003.
    Power Mac G4 Cube: The first Ive "design over function" Mac, just got a used one.
    iMac G4: The next "design over function" Mac, at least a bit more usable for its target market, although equally "wickedly more expensive than it should have been" than the Cube. Got one of these a couple years ago - the last model that can boot OS 9.
    Power Mac G5 quad-2.5: The ultimate PowerPC system. Don't have one of these yet.

You did say "PPC Mac", so the next one doesn't fully qualify, but it is my favorite PowerPC system I own.
    IBM ThinkPad Power Series 820. Yes, a PowerPC ThinkPad. Originally planned to run OS/2, IBM never released a fully functional PPC version of OS/2; so most of these ran either Windows NT or AIX. (There was also supposed to be a Solaris port, but that seemingly never saw the light of day.) Equipment-wise, it is functionally the same as a PowerBook 5300c (PowerPC 603e at 100 MHz, 12" 640x480 screen, etc.) Mine has no battery, no floppy drive, and a dead CD-ROM drive. It has Windows NT 4.0 on it, and I do have an Ethernet adapter for it, so it will browse the web on IE 5.