Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Funkatronic

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2010
Pune, India
Lord of the Rings Trilogy/The Hobbit - J.R.R Tolkien
The Hunt For Red October - Tom Clancy

And these two, not novels, but fantastic memoirs/bio's
Kitchen Confidential - Anthony Bourdain
Broken Music - Sting

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I think The Help by Kathryn Stockett is now one of my favorite books. It's been months since I read it, and I'm still thinking about it daily. The AudioBook version was excellent. Cannot recommend it enough.
150px-Thehelpbookcover.jpg

A few other favorites that I have not yet mentioned:
  • The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett
  • Life of Pi by Yann Martel
  • The Deamon-haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark by Carl Sagan
  • The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini (A Thousand Splendid Suns was also quite good)
  • Stones into Schools: Promoting Peace with Books, Not Bombs, in Afghanistan and Pakistan by Greg Mortenson
I also have a soft spot for Hemingway. My favorite is The Old Man and the Sea, followed closely by A Farewell To Arms. For Whom the Bell Tolls and The Sun Also Rises are excellent too. ...Just read them all. :D

I'm currently reading Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson, and quite enjoying it.

Although, all in all, I think A Tale of Two Cities is still my favorite. Such a good book. :eek:

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
I'm currently reading Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson, and quite enjoying it.

It gets even better as you get further into it. People seem to either love the detail in Stephenson's books, or find it tedious. I'm in the former group. Have you read anything else of his?

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
It gets even better as you get further into it. People seem to either love the detail in Stephenson's books, or find it tedious. I'm in the former group. Have you read anything else of his?
No, this is my first. :) I'm about half way through. So far, I'm really enjoying it; although I must admit that I'm not at the most interesting portion currently. :eek:

But I've heard it's only a chapter or two, and then it picks back up. I do really enjoy the detail.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
If you're still interested once you're done, read Cryptonomicon next. I absolutely loved it.
So, if you're a Stephenson fan, how is Snow Crash...?

I bought it on impulse and - quite literally - have put it into my jacket pocket to begin reading it on the plane to Hong Kong tomorrow... is the 11 hour flight going to feel longer or shorter? ;)

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
I bought it on impulse and - quite literally - have put it into my jacket pocket to begin reading it on the plane to Hong Kong tomorrow... is the 11 hour flight going to feel longer or shorter? ;)

It'll definitely make the flight seem shorter! It's a great read. The reason I mentioned Cryptonomicon first was that it's similar to what you're used to with Quicksilver with regard to the detail and writing style, and both books exist in the same overall 'universe', although at separate time periods.

Snow Crash is a much shorter read. Not just in physical length, but also the writing doesn't require as much of your brain's attention as his later works, if that makes any sense. But that's not a knock against it - I enjoyed it immensely.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.