Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
May 11, 2013
There's so much negativity on here about the computers we own and love.. you'd almost think they were bad products.. I thought it'd be quite interesting to find out what in particular you enjoy the most about your MacBook Pro - any generation - any feature - and why.

For me it's the fact that the display has always been stunning. From my first 2012 MacBook Pro I remember first loading Minecraft of all things, and the vibrancy of the colours, especially the oranges, was so deep and rich compared to anything I'd ever used before. Over the years it continued to impress me. And now, recently I stepped up to a 2017 MBP and the screen being my first Retina based Mac is blowing me away even more. Especially with the High Sierra 'abstract' wallpaper, and the sharpness of the system icons etc. Nothing else compares.

Reactions: ixxx69 and HenryDJP

Nick Milner

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2017
I love my giant trackpad. I migrated to Apple from a Surface Pro 4, and when I tried its trackpad again the other day it felt like a Duplo “My First Computer”(tm). Egregious.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
Probably MacOS and all that entails. Then there's the fact that it stays near-silent until pushed, the high-quality materials and build quality, the way it looks and feels, that it's a continuous, smooth surface even on the bottom, speaker quality, Magsafe, near-silent keyboard with satisfying amount of travel, excellent trackpad that leaves enough space for the palmrest, Force Touch that feels like a real button, sturdy, silent hinge with just the right amount of resistance, Retina display, no logos or product text once you've opened the lid.

iu-1.jpeg

jkun

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2012
I like that it never really slows down. I like apple's trackpads, their displays, and the new space grey color. Also the speakers on the newer 13" pros are really banging.

Reactions: 0989383

Suspended
Original poster
May 11, 2013
My "favourite part of the MBP"?

That's difficult to answer, but three things I love about my MBP are the keyboard, the wide variety of useful ports and MagSafe.

I loved the keyboard, ports and Magsafe charger on all of my 13" Unibody MacBook Pros too!

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
recently I stepped up to a 2017 MBP and the screen being my first Retina based Mac is blowing me away even more.
What's also fantastic about the advent of Retina displays is that you can switch to different resolutions (in terms of UI element size) depending on the use case or simply to adjust it to your liking. Brings back the flexibility of CRT monitors in that regard. ;) Resolutionator is a great little app fror quickly switching between resolutions (from the creator of Moom). With the 15" and no external displays connected, I often work at 1920x1200 or 1680x1050 and "relax" at 1440x900.

resolutionatoricon256.png

resolutionator.png

Last edited:

nph

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2005
I will go brave here and say the Touchbar. initially I thought it was a gimmick but lately I have started using it more and more!

papahemi

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2010
I will go brave here and say the Touchbar. initially I thought it was a gimmick but lately I have started using it more and more!

How so? Please elaborate--I'm trying to decide if the touchbar is worth the expense and loss of battery life.

spacebro

Suspended
Oct 1, 2015
Magsafe- its the neat premium thing that pc laptops don't have. Maybe they will take it farther and make other ports magnetic.

Reactions: tkermit

groove-agent

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2006
I'm still using a 2012 cMBP so my favourite features are the dual hard drives (now SSD), having ports, and the antiglare screen.

My favourite feature on the new MBPs? MacOS - otherwise I would go Dell or MS Surface. It's MacOS that keeps me with Apple, at least for now.

Nick Milner

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2017
Magsafe- its the neat premium thing that pc laptops don't have. Maybe they will take it farther and make other ports magnetic.
The Microsoft Surface line has had a magnetically connected charging cable since its very first iteration. But generally I agree, it's not commonly found and it is pretty cool.

Reactions: tkermit

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
I'm really hoping Magsafe will have returned in some shape or form once I'm forced to upgrade my 2015 MBP. This thread has no right to exist.

The Microsoft Surface line has had a magnetically connected charging cable since its very first iteration. But generally I agree, it's not commonly found and it is pretty cool.
Which makes me even more angry. That Apple willfully abandoned this feature they've had exclusively for the longest time since 2006 and have now handed this unique selling point over to their competitor.

But enough with the complaining...

SarcasticJoe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2013
Finland
Mine being a 2011 model I'm probably going to say the keyboard. Not everyone likes Apple's chiclet keyboards, but I like them so much that I use an Apple chiclet keyboard on my desktop even thou I run Linux on it.

spacebro

Suspended
Oct 1, 2015
These last couple years the mac stopped being magic. People keep buying them so I guess I'm happy for apple. Each keynote is a disappointment. Moving to ports that don't have any devices to buy still after 2 years, promising external graphics but still don't have any apple external gpu, no apple display with built in gpu, they removed sd slots, removed magsafe. I still have not seen a real DJ record scratch using the touch bar- that whole demonstration was a dishonest gimmick. I still use my 2015 for portability but got a cheap linux box to hold me over until a performance mac laptop or desktop comes out. I was the biggest fanboy around here until the 2016 keynote. I'm probably better off for it, so thanks apple, I guess.

Reactions: Queen6

nph

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2005
For the Touchbar I have noticed more and more apps support to ad it actually helps with the productivity a bit. My favorite is to quickly choose between open windows and tabs in Safari, Excel etc. Also when typing emails it is like the ultimate F-keys for me since it changes to display the use I can work faster. I even attended a session in Apple Store where the guy showed me some more ways to use the toucher I hadn't noticed. You need to customize it to fit your needs and once that is done it really helps. It is not radical but evolutionary and a nice addition.

Suspended
Original poster
May 11, 2013
These last couple years the mac stopped being magic. People keep buying them so I guess I'm happy for apple. Each keynote is a disappointment. Moving to ports that don't have any devices to buy still after 2 years, promising external graphics but still don't have any apple external gpu, no apple display with built in gpu, they removed sd slots, removed magsafe. I still have not seen a real DJ record scratch using the touch bar- that whole demonstration was a dishonest gimmick. I still use my 2015 for portability but got a cheap linux box to hold me over until a performance mac laptop or desktop comes out. I was the biggest fanboy around here until the 2016 keynote. I'm probably better off for it, so thanks apple, I guess.

So..... what's your favourite aspect of the MBP? sorry, plenty of other 'crying' threads about it, please stick to the topic here..

Cancelled
Feb 27, 2014
The favorite aspects of my 2016 MBP15 vs. my late 2013 MBP 15 are the following:
- It get's no where near as hot as the 2013 when it is performing CPU intensive tasks, e.g. video rendering.
- Since it get's no where near as hot, it has less fan noise. At times the 2013 sounded like an 747 getting ready to take off.
- While I liked MagSafe on the 2013, I much prefer having USB charging on either side of 2016. As a Realtor, I take my own photographs tethered to the the MBP. With MagSafe, 50% of the time I had the cable on the wrong side the computer. With USB C charging the cable is always on the correct side of the computer and is less of tripping hazard.

Don Barar

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.