What's your iTunes Playlist Scheme?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by arcticmonkey227, Jun 2, 2009.

1. arcticmonkey227 macrumors member

I've got a pretty out of control library (50GB and growing) and I'm finding it more and more difficult to hear the song i want when I want. How do you organize your iTunes? Any ideas to help out?

2. duky macrumors 6502

I think your best bet is to use Smart playlists that take into account the Ratings and Play Counts. Skip Counts also are pretty important cause songs with high skip counts I probably just don't like, or don't like listening to. For my iPhone I have a basic smart playlist with a limit of like 1000 songs that chooses songs based on a few factors, either added in the last 2 wks, or play count of over 20 or recently played. It works pretty well with keeping my phone in tune with what I want to hear.

But then every week or two when I get tired of what I'm listening to I make a new playlist with my current best songs. I usually name them based on my mood, or the climate, or like time in my life so that they can be personalized and I find it easier to know what's in the playlist.

If that doesn't make sense sorry, but it does in my mind..

3. arcticmonkey227 thread starter macrumors member

What about genres? How would i keep my chill songs, my rock songs, and my party songs all separate? Tagging would take forever and a day i feel.

4. arcticmonkey227 thread starter macrumors member

5. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Organize by Albums, Artists, genre, Genius lists or any other method. I have by several myself.

Native american music
    Classic Rock music
    New Age Music, ect.

Mix music (Fav songs on one playlist)

Genius lists of like music

6. ddoonie macrumors regular

This is probably your biggest problem. I think proper tags are a necessity for large libraries. I could not navigate my large library if i didnt have it tagged properly.

7. Yeti60 macrumors member

I have a 10.5 GB library and I don't have any trouble. Everything is labeled correctly (or very close to being correct) and I simply organize my music by artist. So I have no trouble getting right to what I want to listen to; usually I just shuffle everything cause all my music is great. :p

So I'd say just make sure your music is labeled correctly; your artists are together, your albums are together, and genres are the way you want them.

8. messedkid macrumors 6502

messedkid

First thing I did when I redid my Library, was get rid of most "subgenre" tags.
    ie. Metal, Punk, Alternative, Alternative + Punk, Ska, and any variation all became Alternative.
    Hip Hop, Rap, Gangsta Rap (lol), and R&B became Hip Hop
    etc...

Smart playlists for every Genre. Hip Hop, Pop, Dance, Country, Rock, Alternative, Comedy and Reggae.
    Smart playlist for *4 stars and up*
    Smart playlist for "Added Recently"
    Manual playlist for my shuffle.

Also installed the itunes plugin for Quicksilver to quickly launch any song I currently want to hear. :)