What's your jacket of choice

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by nickster9224, Feb 26, 2008.

1. nickster9224 macrumors 6502a

nickster9224

Feel free to share. My winter jacket is a carhartt, and my everyday jacket is my volcom hoodie.

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

northface fleece and northface winter jacket...love em both, especially in the cold wisconsin weather

3. nickster9224 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nickster9224

I just ordered a nautica fleece to replace my hoodie.

4. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

We don't really use jackets all that much over here, but having said that I love my Soviet-edition Oakley hoodie.

5. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Ninja jacket with pants and hood. Black for night, white for snow.

6. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

Do Polo sweaters count?

;)

EDIT: Sweet. Well those, or a brown leather jacket if I want to be slightly dressier. And just completely casual a hoddie with a fleece hood liner (only on the inside, none on the rim or outside of the hood) that is very dark camo print.

7. nickster9224 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nickster9224

sure why not. you wear em. and they keep you warm

8. jaydub macrumors 6502a

jaydub

I have a patagonia jacket for winter here. While we don't get snow, it gets damn cold here in the desert.

Most other days I have this Guess cardigan or a Lacoste hoodie I wear.

9. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i wear the Ralph Lauren Bi-Swing Windbreaker (tan/khaki) most days but when it's really cold, i reach for my Lands' End Classic Squall jacket (navy blue). i have a full-zip fleece jacket from L.L. Bean, too, and a few hooded sweatshirts.

10. cinecals macrumors newbie

Arcteryx... It's the "Apple" of the outdoor/ski/climbing jacket industry. It is based in Canada (most of the stuff i made their too I think) and is of extremely high quality. Looks sweet and costs a small fortune but definitely worth every penny, hence my comparison to Apple ; ). I have 3 off their jackets - 1 fleece, 1 soft shell, and 1 insulated winter jacket. If you like North Face you should check it out.

11. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

You're right, Arcteryx stuff is great. However, your analogy breaks in that Arcteryx has a great warranty program, and their stuff really does last...Arcteryx's program is way above/beyond anything else in the industry in that regard.

I myself have a Mountain Hard Wear down jacket. Way too cold here for anything less...

12. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

any earthy color, comfortable hoodie will do. :)

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I have a jacket (made out of fleece I think) that just has my university's logo in the corner that I wear.

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yep, I have an Arcteryx Alpha SV 3-ply hardshell that I couple with a simple black Sierra Designs fleece. It keeps me warm enough, although this isn't my usual combo for cold weather.

I have a down jacket that I bought at Mountain Equipment Co-op in Canada for like $350. It's VERY warm, but very "fat". However, when it gets really cold in Toronto, I'm always warmer than everyone else. Who cares how I look. ;)

I have a long wool coat that I like to wear often. It's very high quality and made from mostly cashmere or something ridiculous, but I bought it for 40% off and paid much less than I should have. :)

15. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I use the outer shell of my Columbia jacket most of the year (only for rain in the summer). When it's really cold, I'll wear the liner, and if I'm going to be doing something dirty, I've got a jacket which is a lined flannel shirt plus zipped hoodie.

Although on the clear days recently, I've been going jacket-less in the mid-40s :D

16. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I have some big heavy North Face winter coat for when I lived in a place where snow (and more importantly, snowmobiling) was common but that thing is collecting dust at the corner of the closet now. Not much use for that in London and I'd look like a right geeky twunt if I wore that here.

Mostly it's stuff like this [below] that gets worn by me now. :)

cashmerecoat.jpg redcoat.jpg

17. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I have a beautiful black trench from H&M I picked up while I was in Vienna. It goes to midcalf and fits so beautifully.

I just wish it were cool enough in Houston to wear more often!

18. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I have an authentic US Navy pea coat. My dad gave it me, but it wasn't his either to begin with... It actually saw service somewhere out there (no blood stains, thank goodness - it's original owner apparently lived)

[​IMG]

I also have one of those expensive black wool long coats you see NYC businessmen wearing - I found it at the Salvation Army with not a mark on it for like $6..

19. ToddW macrumors 6502a

When it is really cold and i'm going to be out in the elements i use my carhart with a sweater or something. i'm so used to wearing layers that that is what i normally wear. usually some kind of long sleeve sweater with a fleece pull over (with my university log i graduated from) or the columbia zip up fleece.

i also have an eddie bauer shell that i use for when it is raining. i have really thought of going for some north face stuff lately.

20. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I have a Nike ACG liner that I got as a Christmas gift 8-9 years ago that I adore. I found the shell (unfortunately a different color) at TJ Maxx just a couple years ago, so I had to pick it up. The combination is great for getting through the winter.

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Around here my Mountain Hardware windproof fleece jacket is all I need. Maybe 3 days out of the year I'm cold in that jacket, so I don't bother with anything heavier.

22. gloryofgreece macrumors member

I wear a north face denali jacket, as it is pretty popular in Seattle.

Plan on getting a north face jacket as well, and an "apple of snowsports" softshell as well.

23. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Any type of jacket stuffed to the brim with Goose Down is my outerwear of choice. Kept me nice and toasty last week when I was waiting for the tow truck to jump my car in -30 weather!

24. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Probably my North Face Denali Jacket.

When its snowing hard and cold I'll zip on the shell for it.

I also have a really nice grey North Face jacket thats good for the spring time when its warm out and raining. Its very lightweight.

An A&F Hoodie is always good too, not that its an actual jacket.