What's Your Mac Setup??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by b84, Feb 15, 2008.

1. b84 macrumors member

I was just wondering:
    1. what Apple you have to do your creative work.?

2.What creative work is it that you do? if you were in graphic design, web, or music, photography, etc...

2. thebassoonist macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

I have a MBP 2.4 GHz and I do music editing. It works perfectly.

I also do some stuff with films (just family/friends) and I am very happy with iPhoto for organizing my digital photos.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

PowerBook G4 667 (DVI) with 1GB RAM, 100GB 7200RPM HD, external MyBook 500GB HD. I create templates for a web CMS system using Dreamweaver and create content for those templates as well as transferring data from existing sites to these newly created sites. I also do audio production for an AM radio podcast.

TEG

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

iMac 24" in bedroom.
    MacMini G4 media center in living room.
    iBook G4 12" as a floating internet computer in living room.

I live with 2 other bachelors in SF.

5. bocomo macrumors 6502

mac pro quad (not the new one) 2.66 with 5GB ram. two monitor setup, main one is a 22"

i'm a photographer (www.beaucomeaux.com) and really just work with photoshop, illustrator, dreamweaver

haven't gotten into video yet...

6. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Soon to be a Quad 2.8 Mac Pro (for video editing) once I ship off this 2.4 MacBook Pro.

7. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

8. BryanLyle macrumors 6502a

BryanLyle

Main machine: 2.8 Octo Mac Pro w/ 6gb of ram
    Travel machine: 2.4 MBP with 17 Hi Res screen
    Couch machine: Macbook

9. b84 thread starter macrumors member

I am enivous of you Bryan, nice setup.

I would like a MP and a MB or MB

10. fridgeymonster3 macrumors 6502

fridgeymonster3

MP 2.8 Octo, 10 GB RAM, 1.82TB, 24" Gateway Monitor

Soon to be purchased: Penryn Macbook Pro (whenever released to replace my crap Dell) and most likely a MBA (for my wife, she wants one for her birthday)

I use my MP for web design. I am also starting to get into video editing - just home/vacation videos.

11. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

My main machine is the MacBook is my signature. I do a lot of web design and coding. Unfortunately, Fireworks MX 2004 seems to kick up the fans pretty good and it's somewhat slow. Though it's running under Rosetta mind you.

12. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

The rig is in my signature and I work in print and web design (primarily web design as of late). The computer works great, but I need to upgrade my monitor soon...

13. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

MPB 2.33 w/3G Ram...

Basic Photo Editing, and some Photoshop work. I also maintain a few web sites with Golive 6.0.

14. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    3.0 GHz Quad Mac Pro (first generation) with 8 GB RAM, 4 500GB HD to handle the heavy lifting of digital imaging post-processing and storage. I use Photo Mechanic to quickly review and choose good images, discard poor images, then move on to Aperture to post-process the good ones. When something needs more attention or I want to experiment, I take it on into CS3 Photoshop.

Also have a 15" MBP and a 17" MBP. Up until now the 15" MBP has been the traveling machine and the 17" MBP has been a desktop replacement hooked up to a 23" ACD. I also have a G5 rev B iMac (which was my very first Mac!) in the master bedroom, and that is the computer I've been using after 10:00 at night so that I don't disturb my downstairs neighbor, whose bedroom is right beneath my living room (and my computer workstations).

With the recent purchase of the 1.8 SSD MacBook Air, things have changed. I haven't been using the old G5 in the bedroom -- instead I'm sitting in here using the MBA, comfortably positioned with it on my lap, sprawled in a chair, feet up on the bed..... The MBA will definitely be replacing the 15" MBP as my traveling machine and I guess it will also be replacing the G5 as my "after-10:00 PM" machine as well! :D

15. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I'm a graphic designer, mostly print.

At work I use a dual 2.5 G5 with 4gbs of RAM; it's starting to show its age. At home, I use a MBP 17" 2.33 with external monitor and keyboard, and I also have a 13" 2.2 BlackBook that's only used for emailing and web, mostly in bed or in the kitchen. :)

16. jacobluecke macrumors member

jacobluecke

I've got one of the 20-inch aluminum imacs that I use for acoustic guitar recording and instrumental songwriting (here). I use it with the Digi Mbox and Protools LE.
    The machine is overkill for my simple purposes, but I'm not complaining...

17. Sorkvild macrumors 6502

I have a Mirror Drive G4 that I have upgraded the pants off of: Dual 1.6 Ghz, 1.25 RAM, Radeon 9800 Pro, DVD-RW drive.

I guess my creative work is all homework :p

18. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

I have a new PM Quad 2.8 with 8 gig of ram, an iBook 1.2, 2 Mac Mini's PPC and Intel and a Power Mac G4 upgraded to 1.2 ghz. with 2 gig of ram.

I use them for many things but mostly for web design, Photoshop and running and maintaining 3 online businesses.

19. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

My main setup is my 20" iMac C2D, 2GB Ram, BT KB & MM as well as my Wacom Intuos3 9x12 Tablet for drawing. For use in my living room is a 14" G4 iBook, 1.25GB Ram, which my tablet gets hooked up to at night so that I can work on my drawings while watching my tv shows and whatnot. Also a 4GB usb drive to transfer my drawings from the iBook to my iMac the next day.
    I use Flash, PSE3 and learning Painter all of which are running on both machines quite well for my needs. I will mainly do my drawing outlines and ruff stuff on the iBook, then bring my stuff to my iMac for color and shading. Also the iBook is used when I do video on my iMac so things get done and not left for hours on end ;).
    I really think that a 17" MBP with all the bells and whistles would be my best choice as would a 23" display to go with it and still keep my iMac for the video and backup needs.

20. Agurri macrumors 6502

Agurri

I have a Core Duo Macbook 2ghz/2gb/200gb 7200.... I guess I like the number "2". I'm an Electrical Engineer student, and I mostly use my mac for ... homeworks... recently, I installed Matlab via bootcamp. So that's it :).

21. a104375 macrumors 6502

a104375

at my school we use 20" imacs and i find them greatly sized to do graphic design

22. barijazz macrumors 6502

My school uses dells:( (expensive slow as hell dells).

23. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

24" iMac
    - 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo
    - 4GB of RAM
    - 750 GB internal HD
    - 500 GB external HD

15" Macbook Pro
    - 2.16 GHz Core Duo
    - 2 GB of RAM
    - 120 GB internal HD

I mainly do programming and web design. I use iPhoto for all my digital photos and iMovie for my home movies. My friends and I have been doing a lot of music recording using Cubase with a firewire interface.

24. wilmor42 macrumors regular

wilmor42

i do audio recording and production and also video post, i have a powerbook 15" 1.5ghz G4 which i use for all location recording and editing and an iMac 2.4ghz w/4GB ram at home as my main workstation... im not complaining.. i got it hooked up to a 20 ACD too.

Attached Files:

25. mojopixel macrumors 6502

mojopixel

SR MacBook 2.2, 4GB RAM, BenQ FP241W Z 24 inch LCD Monitor, Adobe Design Premium to do Web Design

cheers,

mp :)