Whats your Macbook Pro Battery Life?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jeanius, May 18, 2011.

1. jeanius macrumors newbie

I just bought my MBP 15 inch 2.3 8gb and batterys only been through 3 cycles, and I noticed my MBP only lasts around 2hr30min to 3hrs on regular use browsing, watching some youtube videos... so just curious what other peoples battery life is like? :apple:

2. ' r i S e n macrumors regular

Around 7-10+ hours browsing, downloading, watching videos, doing a little Photoshop and desktop work, sorting files, etc.

3. jeanius thread starter macrumors newbie

4. ' r i S e n macrumors regular

Just the model I suppose - not necessarily sure in terms of the specifics.

The battery life on the model that I purchased is advertised at around 9 or 10 hours iirc.

5. schizbomb macrumors 6502

I get around 6-7 on my 15" if I am just piddling around.

6. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

My guess is that your system switches to the discreet graphics card, which will kill your battery life. I, and many others, installed an application called "gfxcardstatus" to force the computer to use the integrated graphics card, which uses much less battery power than the discreet card, when running on battery power.

7. jeanius thread starter macrumors newbie

^ thx for that info

are you guys running on any special settings? mines just right out the box, default

8. ' r i S e n macrumors regular

I have most things that drain battery life set to off, disabled, or what not.

I also don't use wireless when I am at home - I don't use Bluetooth or AirPort or any of that stuff. My brightness is set kind of low but comfortable, and things like that.

9. jeanius thread starter macrumors newbie

care to share what those batter draining apps r ?

10. ' r i S e n macrumors regular

If you look in your menu bar (assuming default) - there is a Bluetooth Icon and an AirPort icon and you can disable both of them if you want to get more out of your battery. You will need a wired connection of course if you don't use AirPort.

Brightness is a big thing too - if you have your brightness at an unnecessary setting at the moment, I would suggest lowering it to a low, but comfortable setting to help out your battery.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

12. JTToft macrumors 68040

I get pretty much exactly the advertised 7 hours - sometimes more.

13. Betooo macrumors newbie

Betooo

I get about 5-7 hours on a full charge with no graphics tricks. I'm happy with my battery life, but I might have to look into that gfx program for when I really need it to last.

14. mtip macrumors member

I usually get around 6-8 hours out of my battery, depending on what I'm doing. I always have wireless on and screen set to 50-70% brightness, keyboard backlight at less than 50%, no bluetooth.

I have managed to squeeze almost 11 hours out of it but that's with minimal brightness, no wireless or bluetooth, no keyboard backlight, just writing some code and nothing else.

It's a late 2010 13" MBP.

15. blevins321 macrumors 68030

In GFXSettings, change the preferences to only allow the embedded graphics in battery mode. You can change it manually if you need to play a game or something, but this would help the battery issues immensely. What web browser are you using? Until I sold my MBP, Chrome would automatically trigger the discreet card. Did they ever fix that?