What's your MBP TB3 set up

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 26, 2008
I am trying to piece together a viable set up to support my new 2017 MBP.

I am not looking for a "docking station". The ideal set up would be to have 3 similar hubs, one for work, one for home and one for the backpack.

Also what monitors are you running.

Thank you

LotusLord

macrumors 6502a
I am trying to piece together a viable set up to support my new 2017 MBP.

I am not looking for a "docking station". The ideal set up would be to have 3 similar hubs, one for work, one for home and one for the backpack.

Also what monitors are you running.

Thank you
Same question basically. Ordering a MBP for one of our staff that has an older HP right now with a dock and he wants to keep the same functionality, so needs Ethernet and at least 2 USB 3 as well as support for 2 monitors (currently they're hooked up via DisplayPort.)

Reactions: bruinsrme

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 26, 2008
Same question basically. Ordering a MBP for one of our staff that has an older HP right now with a dock and he wants to keep the same functionality, so needs Ethernet and at least 2 USB 3 as well as support for 2 monitors (currently they're hooked up via DisplayPort.)
Here I thought I was alone.

I had a hub that plugged directly into the TB3 ports. It was slick but wasn't comfortable with putting the MBP into the back pack with it attached.

pixelatedscraps

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2017
Hong Kong
I configured and setup my partner's new setup for 2017 recently with the following hardware. Her previous setup was a 27" iMac dating from 2011:
  • 2017 MacBook Pro 15" 3.1Ghz, 16Gb RAM, 1TB SSD, space grey (secondary display)
  • EIZO CS2730 27" with CH2700 hood (main display)
  • Rain Design mStand MBP laptop stand space grey
  • Apple Magic 2 Keyboard & Magic Mouse in space grey (ColorEdge)
  • OWC Thunderbolt 3 13-port dock (for office use only; power to the MBP is delivered via original Apple power supply, not the dock)
I'm looking to pick up a good TB3 hub for travel though, but not a 2-port HyperDrive unit as I prefer the usability of a single port connected to a cable hub. Would welcome suggestions for travel hubs for sure!

LotusLord

macrumors 6502a

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 26, 2008
That looks slick. I ended up ordering a mix of the apple adapters and a fairly expensive dock from StarTech, which we'll see if is any good. (note as a larger size corporate customer we got a better price) https://www.shi.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?SHISystemID=SHIQuoteItem&ProductIdentity=45266964-ac2a-4dde-a435-ba070ed83c13_6077578
I have connected this and it is pretty darn convenient. I ordered a second one and more than likely order a third one next pay day.
1. work
2. home
3. backpack

Works with windows 10 bootcamp as well.
HDMI no issues
I run one usb cable to a usb 2.0 hub for flash drives, keyboard and mouse.
Charges the 2017 15" MBP

Now I just plug in one cable and I have a desktop.

Dual screen - will need to play around a bit.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 26, 2008
I started to notice freezes with the hub especially in windows. For some reason Windows wasn’t applying the 1709 update.
Finally had the updates installed and it seem to fix it.
It does support the 85w charger.