What's your Media Server/ experience/ recomendation?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Goop, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Goop macrumors newbie

First up, please know that I've done some searching around this, and other forums and got some good info but I'd like to hear specifics from experienced users...

I'm in the process of ripping all my CDs to Apple Lossless and will run out of storage on my desktop machine before I finish. I want to set up a network storage solution, preferably a dual-drive so I won't have to worry about backups.

My questions are:

1) Airport Extreme (w/USB drive) vs NAS - what do you use, what are the advantages?

2) Ripping - is there mojo involved, an alias, etc., to get my desktop Mac to do all future rips to the server?

3) iPhoto - while I'm at it, can I designate the server as the destination/location for my iPhoto Library?

4) Sharing & Non-Mac Streaming -
    will it be easy for other Macs on my network to stream my music? What about photos? Is it just as easy for other users to have their libraries on the same server and just as sharable?

5) Macs off but wanna rock - Is there a reasonably affordable solution that would allow browsing and streaming music to my stereo without a computer on?

Thanks.

2. jamin100 macrumors 6502

I am going with the Airport Extreme with 2 USB drives (via a powerd hub)

All these NAS RAID boxes are great BUT they use linux formats which can be hard to recover if one of the drives dies

3. Goop thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh wow. I didn't even realize the AE supported a hub. How much stuff can you put on it? Printer too?

Does the AE/hard drive option include any sort of energy saving? Like will it put the drives to sleep or let them spin down when not in use?

4. jamin100 macrumors 6502

Officially it only supports 1 USB device - but people on here have reported using up to 4 I think.

It should spin the drives down when there not in use.

Have a quick search on here and see what people have said about it because i'm no expert and havnt even got my Airport Extreme yet.

5. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

my problem with Front Row and iTunes is no 5.1 Dobly Digital support with ripped movies. Really sucks!