What's your most annoying iOS issue?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by beanbaguk, Mar 28, 2014.

1. beanbaguk macrumors 6502

beanbaguk

I've had an iPhone since the days of the iPhone 3G so I've seen the OS evolve through the years but there are some parts that Apple just can't seem resolve.

What is your number one annoyance in iOS? Just one issue per person...not a list.

Mine is the "Network Lost" warning. It irritates me silly and causes a lot of usability issues. iOS has had this issue since the very early days and Apple can't seem to fix this very simple issue. Even though the problem is identical in iOS7, i've added an early iOS screenshot just to prove how long its been around for.

[​IMG]

So why might you ask is this annoying? I live on the coast and my phone can easily catch on to a roaming signal across the strait of Gibraltar. It can also latch onto a mobile network in Gibraltar and the result is a huge bill.

So the solution is simple. I simply turn off auto carrier selection and manually select mine. The problem is the service can disappear from time to time and I'm ok with that....but my iPhone seems to want to tell me this all the time.

It has a knock-on effect:

- Blocks apps I'm using until the message is dismissed
    - Turns on my phone from standby wasting battery
    - Gets in the way from what I want to see (Sat nav / messages / music, etc...)
    - Stops movies which is annoying as hell when on airplay or watching something.

My solution....show the warning once and give the user the option to ignore further warnings. Simply put I don't want to know!!!!!!

That's my annoying feature and rant out of the way.

What's yours?

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Never seen that, seems like it would be a very rare issue.

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

4. beanbaguk thread starter macrumors 6502

beanbaguk

It affects anyone that lives along a country border so just because you have not seen the issue before, it doesn't mean it's rare.

It would for example affect anyone living along the US/Canada border, US/Mexico, most country borders in Europe, Asia, the Middle East, etc....where it's necessary to force select your mobile carrier.

As an example, it's estimated that 75% of all Canadians live near the US border. Lets knock that down to about 35% (guesstimate) within a US cell mast. Of that 35%, 56% own a smartphone (19.6%), and 33% of those own an iPhone (6.5% of the entire population of Canada are possibly affected by this.

We're talking 2.5 million users on that border alone.

Not what I would call rare.

Obviously much of this is speculative and the numbers will vary but millions will no doubt be affected but a very stupid problem yet as you say, because the developers are not in the same situation, they will probably never fix it because it's never seen as an issue which is my point on your answer. :)

References:
    http://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/goog...-canadians-addicted-to-their-phones-1.1388185

http://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/goog...-canadians-addicted-to-their-phones-1.1388185

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=population+of+canada

5. cynics macrumors G3

I find the battery warnings annoying and the "data is unavailable during a call" on CDMA models.

How many thousands of times do I need to see that before I just know?

6. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

Changing the volume while watching a video now is a joke since iOS 7.

7. sunking101, Mar 28, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2014

sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I get the 'network lost' pop-up almost every time I switch my phone on. This only started with 7.1

Safari frequently freezes a third of the way into loading websites. I have to force close the app and try again. Safari also crashes daily and refreshes pages daily, sure less often than 7.0.6 but this issue is in no way fixed.

My auto brightness occasionally goes haywire and brightens my screen much more than it should. I have to recalibrate when this happens.

My notification centre defaults to 'missed' even when it's a blank page. In fact I'm pretty sure that I've never had a missed notification, ever.
    I have to tediously select the 'today' tab every time I pull the NC down.

The dreadful letterbox volume and scrubbing controls whilst watching a video.

I'm not sure about this issue, but I seem to be pressing the screen twice on several occasions, it's like my first press has failed to register. This is especially true of the assistive touch button. I only started noticing this problem in 7.1

Battery draining issues.

8. Syndicate0017 macrumors 6502

OP, maybe I don't quite fully understand why you are doing it the way you are. If you are concerned about roaming, would simply turning off voice and data roaming from the cellular settings not work for you? Sorry if I misunderstood.

Anyway, my main annoyance is the lack of a true file manager. I came from android (and since I'm jailbroken now) it's really the only thing that I miss. Adding attachments to an email is an absolute nightmare.

9. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Must annoying thing is on iPad when you push the down volume it mutes. Makes me all like #### every time. It just sucks

10. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

that i am not running iOS 8 on my iPhone 6 that is connected to my iWatch :D

11. Jynto macrumors 6502

Jynto

[​IMG]

The navigation controls in the Music app cover up part of the album cover on smaller screened iPhones. You can tap it to hide the navigation controls, but why can't I hide the volume control instead? That takes up the same amount of screen real estate, it's there all the time, and I never use it. If I want to change the volume I use the physical buttons, either on the side of the phone or on the headset. An on-screen volume control is redundant. Yet it's been there in every iOS version from 1 to 6. They kind of fixed in iOS 7, but the iOS 7 Music app fails in a different way.

12. Nickpocalypse macrumors regular

Landscape mode in iOS 7 music app. It'll often open the app in landscape mode even if the phone is in portrait and I'll have to swing it around a bunch to get back into portrait mode. Unbelievably annoying.

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

Where/how does "data is unavailable during a call" appear on a CDMA iPhone? I've owned iPhones on Verizon (CDMA) since they started carrying them and I don't think I've ever seen that at all.

14. cynics macrumors G3

Native apps like safari and email.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

The lack of an auto - retry for SMS messages that fail to send

16. C DM macrumors Westmere

Interesting, I guess in all the years I never actually tried to really use anything while I was on a call (or perhaps the few times that I actually might have I was probably on WiFi).

17. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

The fact that iOS is not fully optimised for iPads.

18. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

All the time and it works just fine.

19. madsci954 macrumors 68030

I turn off wifi when out of range and just use cellular data. Then go into certain apps and get that "for better accuracy, turn on wifi" pop up. Drives me nuts!

20. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Yes that is. After the 100th time apple should really get the idea that I do that on purpose and don't care.

21. Goldfinger macrumors 6502

This. It's sooooo annoying. They really need a "never show this warning again" option with a lot of warnings.

22. redzep macrumors newbie

especially for GPS driving apps. as if turning on wifi would be useful for that.

23. C DM macrumors Westmere

It does use WiFi data for location in some cases since it's often doing more of assisted GPS than GPS, so that might be playing a role.

24. LordQ macrumors 68040

LordQ

Mine definitely is the «Mobile data is turned off for Music, Notes, etc...» alert that pops up for apps I don't want to use my 3G. Ewgh!

25. Oohara macrumors 68020

Oohara

The Notes app is horridly ugly, and still built on skeumorphism despite the grand move to the flat design. I still can't fathom how they could just leave such a glaring inconsistency right there in plain sight.