What's your opinion about the no-OD rumors?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by buddy39914, Dec 12, 2011.

1. buddy39914 macrumors newbie

I want to know what all of you guys think about the no-optical-drive rumors on the upcoming Macbook Pros.
    I am about to buy a MBP, but I know there are coming new ones in April or something. But I really do not want them to remove the OD, or anything else for that matter, even the size because I am looking for a MBP 17".
    So, do you think the rumors are true (me, I am not sure, but I don't doubt Apple would do something like that :mad:).

TLDR: Do you think apple is going to remove the OD in MBPs? Should I wait for the new ones, or should I just get a Windows PC (which offer much better hardware) and just install Hackintosh.

Pretty much the only reason I'm considering upgrading my MBP, is because of the OS, and the fact that you can have both windows and Mac.

2. BasilFawlty macrumors 6502

BasilFawlty

Don't know if they're true or not, but I just bought a MBP (well, it's on layaway) and if it had been sans OD I would NOT, repeat NOT have bought it! DVDs and CDs are going to be around for awhile and doing away with the OD just kills so much of the functionality of the MBP. It would be right up there with Coke changing their formula or NetFlix splitting out streaming from DVD services in terms of historically bad business decisions. IMHO. :(

3. nippyjun macrumors 65816

Newegg has a usb dvd burner for $15 bucks today.

4. VMMan macrumors 6502a

I heard a rumor that the new MBP will have 2 optical drives and no HD.

5. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Link please!!!!

OP if they due you could always pick a refurb of this generation.

6. buddy39914 thread starter macrumors newbie

I completely agree. Though I don't, for a second, doubt that they don't (if they want) remove the ODs.

I could get a much better computer, for much less money.

USB3.0
    Blu Ray
    Better Processor (and sometimes upgradable, so you don't have to buy a new machine every time)
    Better RAM
    Better Graphics
    Full HD Display
    3D
    Mobile broadband is included on some
    Removable Battery
    Less Overheating (My mac, and macs in general are like ovens :cool:)

I still would go on.

I think Apple would make a huge mistake. It's called MACBOOK PRO for a reason. Aimed at High-end customers, who need ODs.

If they do move on with it, I will never buy another apple product again. They are just destroying themselves.

----------

it's not the price.

I even have an external Blu Ray player/burner.

I don't want to carry a Burner everywhere I go.

7. fort macrumors member

So tell me again why you want to buy a new Mac when you can get a better pc product for a lot less??

8. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Buy now, problem solved.

There is not much better hardware for laptops. If you're looking into buying a desktop, go for it, but don't compare it to a laptop.

Hackintosh sounds fun... until you try to work on the machine. I've had my share of putting linux on laptops without full driver support... fun when you're a student, not fun when your work depends on it.

9. m85476585 macrumors 65816

I haven't used my optical drive since I removed it more than a year ago. I get movies and software online. Burning a DVD is too slow and expensive compared to moving things around with a hard drive.

If I do need to use an optical drive, I have an external one. I never use it except when I'm at my desk so portability isn't a problem. The only times I use it anyway are for restoring the OS from the disk or burning DVDs with pictures to send to family.

The space would be much better utilized by a second hard drive and an expresscard slot. Sadly, Apple is probably just going to make the case thinner instead of giving us more functionality. If that's the case I'd rather the optical drive stay because there's no way I can add a second hard drive to a 0.1mm thick wedge.

I opened this thread planning to write in defense of removing the optical drive, but now I realize that when Apple removes and doesn't add any additional functionality in the space, I will complain as loudly as anyone.

If Apple continues the apparent trend of removing useful features, it will be difficult for me to justify buying another Mac when this one is up for replacement. Sadly there aren't many good Windows laptops out there right now. (last time I researched it, I decided the Toshiba R830 series was the best, with the biggest downside being low screen resolution)

10. buddy39914 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't want to buy now. I want to wait for Ivy Bridge MBP (that is, if they don't remove the OD)

What I meant, was a Windows laptop, my bad. Which offers, much better hardware

----------

OSX. That is all.

Yes, I can install hackintosh. but i would like to run it in an apple product, (that is if they keep the OD)

Also, I've been using MBPs since they pretty much came out. So experimenting with new brands is last resort.

If I do, however. I'm between Lenovo and Sony.

11. goMac macrumors 603

I think I've used the optical drive like three times on my Macbook Pro.

I'd gladly dump it and use the space to make the machine thinner and increase the size of the battery. More battery life is a lot more useful.

I don't know why the optical drive would impact your buying decision that much. There are a lot of other options (externals, imaging, etc...)

This is like the floppy drive, where everyone thought they needed one, and complained about it, until they got a computer with no floppy drive and realized they didn't actually need one.

12. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Which one? There are a few models that have comparable hardware at a lower price (about 20%-30%), but I'm not aware of laptops with better hardware, that are still portable and have a measurable battery life.

13. Spencer Reynen macrumors member

I don't see why everyone needs to freak out over removing the optical drive. "I'll never buy an apple product again..." you don't think that's taking things a little to far? I'm sure this exact conversation happened when they were about to remove floppy disk drives? Now, who could give a care about them. Sure people would still use them, and it can be a nessesity for some pro users but if they happened to take it out I'm sure in a couple of years people will care less. Technology will just keep on developing whether it takes the optical drive along or not.

14. Ant.honey macrumors regular

My opinion, good riddance to nearly dead tech. I removed mine and put it in an enclosure on the very rare chance that I might need it, but that's it. If you'll "never buy another Apple again.." if they remove the drive, nobody, least of all Apple, cares.

15. buddy39914 thread starter macrumors newbie

I do.

You know why would they want to remove the drive. Because they make more money. They want you to buy everything from the App Store and iTunes Store.

I use my OD every day.

And, I wont be buying another product again, because they are destroying themselves. What once was a great company. Apple is falling behind. There are far better products. I have already switched my iPhone 4 for a GSII and my iPad for a full OS slate. Why? Because they offer better functionality, are much faster, etc. Only thing that's missing is my iPod and MBP.

----------

Obviously they don't care. It's always been about money.

16. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

not sure its that dead

lets say your a photographer for example, how would you give you client a few hundred MB sample of some photos your took for them?

im sure the same can be said for a video editor, how would he share a 1GB+ file to a client

there is always the MBA for those that dont see a need for the Pro but why make them both the same?

17. bill-p macrumors 65816

I think the problem is that the OD is just not used that often anymore. By the majority of users. If they can fit in more battery, or more cooling options, or better hardware, by removing the OD, I'm all for it.

On the other hand, while Windows laptops generally have better specs, I sincerely doubt you can get as much return for your investment when you want to upgrade down the road.

And I have not seen many Windows laptops with very high-end specs that would not overheat. I have gone over Alienwares before settling down with a Macbook Pro. Generally I find that Macbooks overheat because people try to put covers, skins, and cases on them. If used in open air, the Macbook Pro wouldn't overheat that easily as the body acts as a large heatsink.

On the other hand, there is also the fact that the higher-end Macbook Pros are now using GPUs that put out twice the heat of the last generation that contributes to the overheating problem...

I'm quite sure I can ask the client to purchase a memory card or a flash drive... and many of my clients at least have flash drives for photos and big/small files. Now... movies I can understand. But it's not like you burn movies for your clients every single day. When the task arises, you can still plug a USB DVD burner or Blu-Ray burner into the USB port.

18. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

There is something called the MacBook Air for people who don't want an optical drive. These are MBPs for a reason...though the only people who know the real answer to this question right now would be Apple.

19. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

sure you can also plug in an external hard drive for that 2nd hard drive you would get by removing the OD, the arguement goes both ways im not saying what will happen but just my 2 cents on the keep it arguement

20. EricT43 macrumors regular

I would also support removing the OD if it allowed for improvements in some other areas.

OD's are still useful. Every once in a while, I want to burn a DVD, or install something that came on an optical disc. But to be honest, those occasions are pretty rare. Rare enough that I wouldn't mind plugging in a USB device to do so. You can even re-install the OS now without a DVD.

I understand there are those that need to do these things more frequently than I do, but do you need to do that when you are on the go? Would an external OD drive really be that much of a hassle?

I think that by removing the OD from the Pro (IF they do it), it would be because a very small percentage of users need optical drives on the go. Like has been mentioned here, it is about the money. They are going to market a product that appeals to the largest number of people, and the number of folks who really need an OD drive on a laptop is getting smaller and smaller.

21. bill-p macrumors 65816

No, the argument doesn't really go both ways. You obviously can't get good speed out of an external hard drive. But you can definitely get good speed out of an external OD.

Also, if you edit videos and photos a lot, you'd want more and faster storage rather than an OD. Believe me. 500GB is eaten up in a flash.

22. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

your right, I wonder why apple hasnt gotten rid or the OD already

23. buddy39914 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, except, instead of adding more stuff like usb 3.0, fans (which i bet they do not have), or better processing power, they are going to make it thinner and remove all of the ports (according to the same rumor). Which I think it's more than useless.
    Also, I have no covers, or anything in my mac. It still gets hot. Very hot.
    That's what the MBA is for.

24. bill-p macrumors 65816

I think it's simply because they don't have to redesign the casing to accommodate a non-OD design. Cost effective.

I think it depends on which MBP it is and what you do with it. Like I mentioned, the higher end MBP 15" and the MBP 17" have GPUs that outputs almost twice the heat of the lower end option. Namely, the Radeon HD 6490M in the Early 2011 15" outputs around 15W max, but the 6750M and 6770M can go to 30W easily.

25. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

so your thinking something different than apple taking the optibay design and making that their own?

just more curious why ive not seen apple make an optibay and let you choose a 2nd hard drive over the optidrive