What's your opinion on the Magic Mouse from Apple?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by The Clark, Mar 2, 2014.

1. The Clark macrumors regular

The Clark

I've started to work in Photoshop and I need a mouse. How is apples latest magic mouse? I've never had the opportunity to use it. Online reviews suggest you either hate it or love it. So, do you hate it or love it? Why?

2. kathyricks macrumors 6502

My fairly limited experience: The Good: Ergonomically its great

The Bad: a) Eats AA alkaline batteries for lunch. So to make it affordable to operate I stock up on Sunbeam alkaline AA batteries at the Dollar Store.

b) Not maintenance free and bulletproof - mine became erratically functional after 4-5 months of use so rather than researching the net to find ways to clean and troubleshoot it I put it away and went back to using an old fashioned wired mouse - the iMac "puck" mouses from the late 1990's - they last me about a years worth of use.

3. accountforit macrumors 6502a

My favorite mouse. Used one for over three years and never had an issue.

As for the battery issue (as with any wireless component), buy Apple's charger and rechargeable batteries and you never have to worry about batteries.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Terrible ergonomics.

That's all that needs to be said.

5. accountforit macrumors 6502a

Actually, totally opposite. Other mice make my wrist hurt.

There is a reason it has its own unique design.

6. leman macrumors 604

One of the worst mice ergonomics-wise. No idea how people can describe this cramp-inducing device as ergonomical. get the trackpad.

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I use it in Aperture all the time, and find it easy to use, but there is a learning curve. I'm not keen on mice with a lot of extra buttons and controls. I find the gestures super useful when browsing the net too.

8. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

I find it great, had a problem with it occasionally losing connection but a small piece of paper did the trick under the battery cover, I might have slightly under-size AA rechargeables I guess....ergonomically great for me, guess that aspect depends on your individual hand size...

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd have to say its my favorite mouse and I use it all the time.

10. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Put me in the love category
    Never had a problem with mine

11. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I love the Magic Mouse and with BetterTouchTool the gestures I've programmed have, at this point, become second nature.

Try it yourself, of course, because the ergonomic debate is an entirely subjective matter. It is a perfect fit for me and I have no discomfort nor health issues as a result of using it for the past 4+ years. I also have rather large hands.

I bought a set of 4 Sanyo Eneloop rechargeable AA and two are always charging while the two are in the MM. That solves that problem. :)

12. theluggage macrumors 68030

Mouse design is a matter of preference (& hand size). So the following is purely subjective:

Its too low-profile - looks good but horrible to use. esp. for that manoeuvre where you run out of table space and pick up the mouse to re-center it. Knock it into the side of a keyboard or other obstruction and it registers a click. Using it for gestures is like trying to do a Vulcan salute. 2 minutes trying to use a Magic Mouse makes me want to gnaw my hand off.

Less subjectively - several of my colleagues use them and the go through batteries like stink & sometimes have problems with dodgy battery terminals.

Go to a computer/electronics store where you can handle the mice and pick one that feels comfortable. You'll probably get something from Logitech or Microsoft for a fraction of the price - although there is an annoying tendency for mice to be too small.

If you want wireless, as long as you can stand to lose a USB port to a proprietary dongle, avoid Bluetooth - it will limit your choice and that's where the battery problem comes from (until manufacturers start using the newer low-power options).

I have a Logitech Performance MX (which was not cheap) which is really nice to use but, sadly, they've skimped on the build quality - the right button on mine went flaky after a few too many Minecraft sessions (and lots of other users online are reporting similar problems) so I can only give a qualified recommendation.

13. cynics macrumors G3

Overall I like it.

However I will accidentally use the swipe back feature on accident on occasion which can be very annoying. Its a double edge sword, I love using that feature but when I accidentally do its incredibly annoying. I was doing my taxes the other day and accidentally swiped back and lost a TON of info I inputed...

Also for some reason the double tap for Mission Control is very hit or miss for me recently. I'm not sure if thats mouse or mavericks related....

14. Serif macrumors regular

Depends on what you use it for.

For general desktop use (browsing, email, coding) it's the best mouse I've ever used. I've had mine for nearly two years and would buy another in a blink if it ever failed. I use rechargeable batteries which seem to last about 3 weeks.

For gaming, it just doesn't work for me so I use a Logitech G700s instead for that.

15. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

Personally I love it as well. The only downfall for me is it can't be used for 3D modeling in Blender. The lack of dedicated right, left, and middle buttons throw off the application to thinking you always have a middle button clicked.

16. Fishrrman macrumors G3

My opinion is my own.

Get a third-party mouse instead.

I'd suggest the Logitech line.

After using their mice, I wouldn't use any other. Great equipment.

17. Orr macrumors 6502

Orr

In terms of aesthetics and wow factor it's incredible. In terms of actual performance that is quite subjective. I enjoy using it for casual web browsing and other non-intensive tasks, but for more serious activity I always switch to my Logitech M510 mouse which I find vastly more comfortable and easy to use.

18. The Clark thread starter macrumors regular

The Clark

For anybody who cares, I bought it and I'm liking it for the most part. However, there are way better mouses out there for less, I'm looking into Logitech.

19. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

I feel exactly the same way about the Magic Mouse...

20. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

You can get a "inductive charger" from Mobee which includes a replacement rechargeable battery pack, and a charger "pad" which you simply set the mouse on occasionally to recharge it. No more replacing the batteries often.

http://www.mobeetechnology.com/the-magic-charger.html

The mouse requires a low-profile somewhat flat shape in order to have a useable track-pad on the back. You don't hold it the same as you did with conventional mice ... or you may get hand fatigue. Guide it by the edged with your thumb and ring-finger ... and use a wrist-rest if necessary.

21. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

love it. :)

Buy one and try it. If you don't like it...return it.

22. beachmusic macrumors regular

beachmusic

Had 2 that came with the iMacs I bought and threw both in the drawer. Hate them!

23. Mildredop macrumors 68020

Hate it.

Magic mouse is uncomfortably small. Using for more than about 10mins really hurts my palm.

What's so wrong about having a cable plugged into my iMac that's about 6 inches away? Constant 'battery low' and 'device lost' notifications are frustrating and, when the batteries die, I inevitably haven't got any charged ones available.

The same applies to the piddly little keyboard. My 27" iMac's keyboard is smaller than that of my 13" Air. It's uncomfortable and frustrating. Both are pure style over substance.

Oh, of course, that's why Apple made it wireless. More accessories for people to buy.

24. Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

Like the Magic Mouse, but don't own one.

The relatively short battery life is what puts me off.

Yes, there is the Mobee wireless inductive battery charger, but I have not seen it available where I am.

A $10 basic wired Logitech is cost effective and fine for me..

25. thedeske macrumors 6502a

Apple MM is fine for what it is - a free wireless mouse that comes with Mac Desktops (some)

I've used a few over the years, and they work as advertized. I never sway from using a Kensington Trackball as a main input device, but I use a second Mac on many occasions, and the MM can get the job done on basic day to day opps.

There's noting extraordinary about it over 3rd party devices, other than a few touch moves.

Apple has never made an exceptional mouse and I doubt they ever care to make the effort to design one. Many think it's great because it's an Apple device. BS - Most of us adjust to what we have. Some reach for something more refined for better control.