What's your preference for a mouse?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by NickD, Jul 20, 2007.

1. NickD macrumors 6502a

NickD

What's your preferred mouse, or mouse brand? I'm looking to buy a new mouse sometime soon to replace the MX500 model that came bundled with my Logitech S530 set. Only problem is the set looks so nice when everything matches :)

Do you prefer Logitech, Microsoft, Apple, etc. when it comes to mice?

Are there any specific models you prefer more than others? Why?

NickD

2. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

I preferred the old Apple ones, but now, the new ones really feel cheap, unresponsive and overpriced. I have tried a couple of Logitech form friends and have to work with it, but they just didn't feel right, not so accurate and still pretty heavy. So I bought myself, after reading a lot of reviews, a Razer Pro Solutions 1.6 that is very very very fast, accurate and responsive. It's on a wire, therefore very light and responsive and is always on, which eliminates un-responsiveness. The looks go pretty well with the white Apple keyboard/iMac/MacBook. I really love this mouse and recommend it! Also the feet of the mouse don't get dirt on them as fast as other mices, so it keeps moving without any effort. To end this review with an anecdote: I was gaming with my friends with my new Razer and instead of being last as usuall, I now end up as one of the best. Friends have said that when they try to sneak up from behind that I can turn around like crazy and still shoot them.

3. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Logitech is my choice, i've had a MX500,510 and 518 (on different comps) all is working great.

I have had a a few Microsoft Mices, and ALL have been fairly expensive and really poor quality! They are nice when they work, but for me they just die after a few months.

The Apple mices just feels cheap.

4. rockosmodurnlif macrumors 65816

rockosmodurnlif

I got a refurbed Mighty Mouse (hate that name but whatever) and I like it. I use a MacBook Pro so I use bluetooth so I have my USB ports free for my external HDs, printer and iPod charging. Thats the only reason I use the Mighty Mouse though and I've been running it from June till now without replacign the batteries without turning it off and I've still got 75% power left from the two AAs.

I've messed with a friend of mine's mouse, its a Logitech, an expensive one with the weights so you can customize it and all that but he is also a gamer and I'm not. The Mighty Mouse didn't feel cheap compared to his or the Microsoft Intellimouse it replaced (I got it from my gamer friend when he bought his Logitech). I like the feel, I like the weight and I like that I can shove it into my MacBook Pro's sleeve without it taking up a lot of space. I travel with it and it hasn't broken or shown any wear yet. Only problem I've had is the scroll button don't scroll but that's fixed with cleaning the ball area.

It's a four button mouse but the side buttons (fourth button) have to be really squeezed to activate it. As a result of that, I don't use the side buttons.

I don't know what you're getting your mouse for but Logitech's or Razor's are good for gaming. Otherwise, I's recommend the Mighty Mouse. No more wires and without a wireless adapter or anything. It's just turn on and go.

5. lost eden macrumors 6502a

Nobody's mention Razer yet. If you're vain enough to worry about it being white & matching, they even make a white one (though it's exactly the same as a cheaper mouse in their range, save the colour).

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I like the mighty mouse, but the obvious scroll issue is annoying, but for me it does the trick with my MacbookPro

7. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I like Logitech's MX518 I use it w/ the iMac but I don't bother w/ any real peripherals for my MB.

:late edit: Just realized, I didn't explain myself all that well, but I did so in this thread; if you wanted more reading on mouses/ mice (as well as why I like the MX518).

8. LeviG macrumors 65816

started with microsoft, went to a logitech mx1000 and went back to ms wireless natural laser 6000 (that new ergo one) due to the mx1000 not liking my choice of surface/mousemats. The ms just works :)

9. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

10. darthmullet macrumors member

Logitech G5 or G7 are good mice, as are some of their other models. I've heard good things about the Revolution. Logitechs are usually right handed only, something to think about. I haven't used the Razer Pro model yet but if their other mice are any indication (and I'm sure they are) than it would be an excellent choice.

11. Maui macrumors 6502a

Maui

Logitech MX Revolution. Great mouse. Highly configurable, including whether you want smooth scrolling or "click-to-click" mode. Mine is configured for Safari to have "click" scrolling unless I really spin the wheel hard (ie, I want to get to the bottom of a long page) and then it shifts into smooth scrolling with no clicks. It has an internal battery that lasts only 2-3 days of heavy use, but you just have to remember to put it back into the recharging stand every other night or so.

It also has a lot of buttons you can configure. I am using the Safari 3 beta. I like to browse in tabs, but I rarely remember to press the Apple button when I click on a new tab. So, I reconfigured a button to be a control-click so links open in tabs.

12. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

I'm waiting till these things finally come out: Razer ProClick Mobile. They look gorgeous.

[​IMG]

13. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Have the Mighty Mouse. Looks cool and works very well with my MBP on Bluetooth...

14. ghettochild macrumors regular

15. NickD thread starter macrumors 6502a

NickD

After all these recommendations, looks like I'll be picking up an MX Revolution with my new setup. Thanks everyone!

16. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

17. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I prefer Logitech, especially the Logitech VX Revolution.

18. Nym macrumors 6502a

Nym

I bought a Razer Pro 1.6 and I must say it's very good, it has buttons which you can assign events to (I use them for Exposé mainly) and it's very confortable in your hands.

Best of all, it comes with Mac Drivers to guarantee maximum compatibility and it's 1600 dpi resolution.

Leaves MM in the dust, which isn't hard BTW :p

19. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

logitech just came out with the vx revolution nano. engadget has a story on it here. wow, that usb receiver is tiny!

oh btw, i have an mx revolution, and i LOVE it.

20. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Yes, I did, look at the second post!!

21. lost eden macrumors 6502a

Oh, sorry, I must've skipped over that one! As an owner of the white Razer, can you tell me whether there is any difference between it & the Krait, save for the colour? I've already got one Krait on my workstation, & was thinking about getting another for my MacBook.

22. L3X macrumors 6502a

23. Angrist macrumors 6502

Kensington Optical Elite [Linky]

I''ve got three of these, they're pretty solid, fit either hand well, and are nice and affordable.