what's your reaction to Apple's patent aka "spyware"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sangreal, Aug 25, 2010.

1. sangreal macrumors newbie

sangreal

I know i am really pissed off and i would like to hear some other reactions from Jailbreakers and Non Jailbreakers.

For anyone who doesn't understand what i mean, there is a a nice article i read today.

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2010/08/steve-jobs-watching-you-apple-seeking-patent-0

This is not a thread to inform you about the whole thing. I just want to hear your reactions. So lets pass the whole "search first, then post" thing.

2. clarknick67 macrumors member

3. sangreal thread starter macrumors newbie

sangreal

4. Tanto macrumors member

Tanto

I think that all this work by Apple to restrict the usage of its devices is silly from a number of different views.

From the view of personal usage rights: Why not let users do whatever they want to do with their purchase? They purchased it - plain and simple. I'm sure Apple was not happy to see YouTube videos of people buying an iPad and then beating it to bits in the parking lot immediately afterwards, but it remains the consumer's right to do what they want. If you want to modify your iPhone or whatever by Jailbreaking it, then Apple needs to get over themselves and realize that as much time and effort is put into making a complete "ideal" system, not everybody is going to think the same thing. There will always be people who just have to customize their gadgetry from desktops to iPhones and there's nothing Apple can do that will stop it. If users can't modify an iPhone anymore, then those people are going to transition to Android phones which leads me into my next view on this: Business.

Like I said earlier, people want to modify and customize their gadgets just to be different or to customize its functionality to better suit their usage. After a long period of the exact same interface on every iPhone, Apple seemingly begrudgingly adopted a few of the common features available to people who modify (Jailbreak) their phones. There's no need for Apple to pour time and effort into developing a new interface, they just need to look to the community of people who have chosen to Jailbreak their phones, evaluate them, and then refine them into their own "theme". If an employee was assigned to create a brand-new interface for the iPhone I think that person has the easiest job in the world because there is so much third-party attention to this aspect.

I can't find the reasoning why Apple would think that devoting so much time into spying on "unauthorized users" would be worth all the hassle and resources that could be better spent on *gasp* a new interface or something else, anything else!

Written by a person who has chosen not to Jailbreak his iPhone. :D

5. sangreal thread starter macrumors newbie

sangreal

that means a lot!

6. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

It's just a patent.

Doesn't mean it will ever come to fruition.

Overall I will give it a "meh", could care less.

7. shandyman Suspended

yet another thread about this jailbreak patent??? :eek:

8. Tanto macrumors member

Tanto

Absolutely true, but why not discuss the mentality Apple has of the usage of its products?

9. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

I've watched the "outrage" over this patent for the last week or so and find that it's mostly just fud. And with all due respect to the EFF, their take on this issue is basically super-fud.

First off, this isn't a business proposal or even a roadmap. It's a patent application. There's a big difference. Hence words like "presumably" get sprinkled liberaly throughout.

Secondly, the reasons for a company to request a patent are many and varied. From protecting future ideas to trying to wall-off competitors or build a patent litigation warchest, it's too early to say what reasons are behind this.

Third, the patent talks a lot about detecting hacks in regard to stolen devices, and outside of business-owned phones (at the request of such a business), it's hard to imagine Apple having any legal covering for flipping the kill switch on a private users device simply because it was jailbroken. (hello class-action lawsuit)

As for collecting biometric data for "authorized user" identification, I'd have to see an actual proposal before I decide whether I'm cool with that or not. (see point one)