Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xparaparafreakx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
I would like to know what other users here use for their complete disaster plan for their servers and data. This means, fire, flood, theif or anything under "act of god" or "act of terrorism."

After 4 years, I think it is time to set some kind plan in motion.

AwakenedLands

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2009
California
I would like to know what other users here use for their complete disaster plan for their servers and data. This means, fire, flood, theif or anything under "act of god" or "act of terrorism."

After 4 years, I think it is time to set some kind plan in motion.

Not sure what type of data you need to backup, but on my servers I have a lot of MySQL data and website files that need nightly backups. I wrote a bash script to check databases to see if they changed. If there are changes since the last backup, I dump them into separate files based on the database and table name and then rsync them to a remote and local backup device. So large databases with several gigs of data may take a bit to dump, but the rsync only sends over the changed data... and is generally fast. I perform the same rsync method on the website files as well.

Once the rsync process is completed on my local, I run a snapshot bash script that saves everything into a compressed tarball that rotates weekly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.