What's your take on Apple Refurbished?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by super tomtendo, Dec 28, 2013.

1. super tomtendo macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

What's your take on Apple Refurbished products? I'm looking at getting a refurbished TB Display? $799 as oppose to $999 new...

I know this device is probably very close to a new updated one being released but it's gonna be at least $1000 and I'm not gonna need the (probable) 4K quality since hardly anything supports it yet. Also, I don't think I care too much about it having USB 2.0 instead of 3.0. I can always use my MBPr for those...

Just want to know what to expect. I would assume for it to be like-new and just as good?

2. kapolani macrumors regular

I've bought a couple of refurbs from Apple.

They basically recondition it with all new parts.

A lot of the times they are just returns that they can't sell new.

I wouldn't worry one bit.

3. tibas92013, Dec 28, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2013

tibas92013 macrumors 6502

Last August, I bought Refurbished Mac Mini 2012, Apple Express and Apple TV at the Apple Store. My Mac Mini and Apple Express is covered by my AC until 2016 and all the above were easy to connect and are all hummimg like a bird.

4. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Refurbs are great, full warranty & basically remanufactured to new condition. I always buy refurb when possible, especially things like routers - time capsule - Apple TV. Macs, I've not done just because I want specific configs (e.g. Fusion drive) that are rare in the refurb store.

5. Jnesbitt82, Dec 29, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2013

Jnesbitt82 macrumors 6502

Jnesbitt82

I've heard a lot of good things about them. I'm actually considering one myself. They are basically new with all of the warranties and guarantees except they aren't "new in box". I don't think you could go wrong buying an Apple refurb.:)

From their website:
    Before we put a refurbished Mac, iPod, iPad, or Apple TV up for sale in Special Deals, it undergoes a rigorous refurbishment process to make sure it’s up to Apple’s tough quality standards. We back it with our standard one-year limited warranty. And you have the option of purchasing an AppleCare Protection Plan for it.

6. onemustfall macrumors member

I'm really not sure the minor discount justifies having second hand good. I'm really not a fan of second hand anything...

7. priitv8 macrumors 68020

For all practical purposes (except for the fancy original cardboard box), they are equal to new products. All worn or damaged parts are replaced. Even the warranty counter will be reset.

8. onemustfall macrumors member

I know. I just like to buy things new...

9. SVT Amateur macrumors 6502

I usually buy all my Apple products refurbished. Several MacBook Pros and a Mac mini and I've had no issue with any of them over the years.

10. priitv8 macrumors 68020

But you must know - electronics tend to fail at the start of their lifecycle. The refurbs are already nicely burned-in :cool:

11. LuxoDave macrumors newbie

LuxoDave

My Macbook Pro Retina is a refurb. I have had it about 10 months, great so far.

12. tenja macrumors newbie

Don't hesitate to buy refurb from apple. They are always great and in brand new condition.

13. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I bought my iPod Touch refurbished to get 64GB at the 32GB price. I would definitely do it again.

New stuff IS nice, but so is saving money on the better configuration. So I'd easily do it again.

14. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

I do the same....except for my iPhones and iPads because by the time I replace them they are two years old and I want the new device "now", and not wait 2 to 3 months before they hit the refurb store.

15. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

All of my Macs are purchased as refurbs. Wouldn't have a single hesitation about buying anything from the Apple refurb store.

16. Bear macrumors G3

An Apple refurb is not a second hand item.

Other than the box you often can't tell it's a refurbished item. And I believe accessories (keyboard, mouse, cables, etc) are always new with a refurbished item.

17. onemustfall macrumors member

Okay, I didn't come here to argue, and I'm not knocking the quality of the items or Apples standards, but if I'm paying £1500+ for a laptop, it's going to be brand new, never been used, by anyone, for any amount of time. The savings don't justify it to me. :)

18. Bear macrumors G3

That's your call. I'm looking at a refurbished iMac that is $2289 and saves over $400 from the price of it new.

19. brentsg macrumors 68040

20. larmende macrumors member

My MacBook Air is a refurb. It came with a US keyboard which was weird, but really quick to get used to.

21. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

I am also considering buying a TB display to update my 23" CD, just hard to decide if $800 is a "good deal" for old 2 year old monitor. I have bought many items from the refurb store, including my Mac Mini. The price is definitely right on a lot of the items. They look brand new, and most are assembled in the US.

22. esskay macrumors 6502

Hey, those who like to buy refurbs should be glad to see buyers with this perspective... The more people there are that only want totally brand new products, the cheaper the refurbs will have to get! ;)

23. SusanK macrumors 68000

Good as new

My experience with Apple refurbs has been excellent. The first refurb I bought had an 68030 processor to give an idea of the timeline with refurbs for me.

The units are reconditioned, recased, new batteries. The only way I can tell the refurb from the new is the box and the price. New unit warranty and AC is available.

I never hesitate to buy refurbished if it is the item I want.

24. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

25. TheMatador macrumors newbie