What's your threshold for a battery replacement?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Johbremat, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Johbremat macrumors regular

2011 MBPs (15" 8,2 and 17" 8,3). Batteries run for about ~4.5 hours before conking out.

Have already pulled the trigger on NewerTech NuPower batteries (along with 16GB RAM and 1TB SSD for each) and hoping to get a couple more hours back, or at the very least similar run times while using the 17" as a Windows Server 2016 install and the 15" running Windows 10, both with Hyper-V enabled to use as portable labs.

When did you decide enough was enough and you had your machine's battery replaced?

Any recommendations on safely storing either new or old batteries for an extended period in the event I want to use them at a later date?

2. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

i never get many time out of the batteries anyway as I'm always running vmware and stuff, think i would wait until OSX tells me to 'replace battery'. wife's MBP (2012) is already complaining (check battery).

any recommendations about replacement batteries, or they are all about the same?

3. Johbremat thread starter macrumors regular

I've only read good things about NewerTech's gear (as sold by OWC). Can't recall the name of the other third-party brand.

Otherwise Apple do replacement batteries but I think it's a coin toss on being able to purchase direct without paying for labour.

4. robvas macrumors 68020

Either when the battery lasts less than 3 hours, or when the computer starts randomly shutting off at like 20-30%

Whichever comes first.