Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Apple //e

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2003
and i actualy use it

Attachments

• uptime.jpg
    uptime.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 217

mooshoo

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2004
Pardon my ignorance, but why does it say there are two users, when in fact, I am the only person that uses this PB?

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
mooshoo said:
Pardon my ignorance, but why does it say there are two users, when in fact, I am the only person that uses this PB?

type "w" in terminal you will see all the "users". it means there are that many user login to the console. open up serveral terminal windows and type "w" in console again ;)

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
6 days, 29 mins ...

Before that it was over 1 month, friday before WWDC ...

iBook G4 1GHz, 768 RAM, BT, AE, 60 GB HD ...

Oh, BTW, the eMac at home has been since June 1st. up :)

markoibook

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2004
Reading, UK.
My iBook is just about to reach 40 days - and that is only because I had to reboot 40 days ago to install an update :)
Incidently that is pretty much the only time I have to reboot. For those of you that reboot if you feel your machine is slow - just log out and back in again - that tends to speed things up!

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
Apple //e said:
and i actualy use it
Yeah, I had crazy uptimes on my old Win2000 server. Many months (rather, between critical updates). My iBooks always had wicked uptime since I always slept them, but this PB seems to hang up far too often for my liking. I'm yet to go over 2 days :confused:

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
PowerBook 1.25GHz, 1.5GB RAM, 80GB HD
Code:
up 2 days, 12:04, 1 user, load averages: 1.26 1.80 1.84
i had to reboot on the weekend because my bro burnt a DVD+R disk, and i didn't look before trying to use it. of course i can't read +R's so it just jammed in my PB, i couldn't eject it and had to reboot to get it out.

i mostly get between 6-8 days before i feel it needs a reboot. i try everything like logging out then back in (after waiting for a minute), but eventually it still really slows down?

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
Here is my current uptime and the last uptime before I had to shut down my PowerBook.

Attachments

• uptimes.jpg
    uptimes.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 189

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
RacerX said:
Here is my current uptime and the last uptime before I had to shut down my PowerBook.

quite impressive. i also noticed that you have very low load averages. so why did you have to shutdown? software update? also, how do you use you PB? i usually have Safari, Mail, PS, BT and some other stuff open, and i tend to leave apps open if i'm giong to be using them again. i don't know if that affects my uptime or load averages.

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
crees! said:
Looks like you'll have me in a couple days. What I've done is instead of restarting just logging out from time to time. It seems to help some.

i just tried that and my TiBook does seem to have some snappiness back, thanks. i'm now at: up 55 days, 20:41

i ought to hold up until 10.3.5...

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
cb911 said:
quite impressive. i also noticed that you have very low load averages. so why did you have to shutdown?

Actually it was so I could bring it with me to see a client to show them how their site was coming. As I have a second drive in one bay and a CD-RW in the other (and a battery which needs replacing), I have to shut down to go anywhere.

My PowerBook as become my main system since putting a G4/500 in it (it also has 512 MB of RAM), so it is used all the time now. And as I have no internal clock any more, it is used at all hours of the day and night.

Generally I have OmniWeb open 24-7, TextEdit and Watson are used a lot also. Create, GoLive, Photoshop are running a pretty close tie as the next most used. Preview (I'm still using 10.2) and Acrobat are also tied, mainly depending on what I need to do with a pdf.

I generally don't leave big apps open for to long if I'm not using them. And as my wife also has an account on here, I get logged out quite often which keeps me from building up too many swap files. The apps I worry the most about are Carbon apps like Photoshop 7. Photoshop (at least when first released) would grab as much system resources as it could, and when left on too long would really slow down a system. I've found that the caching that the system does with apps speeds up the opening of the apps enough for most that I don't mind closing apps when I'm not using then. And of course that cache is wiped out when I get logged out, so when I get logged back in some of the apps are slower to open.

All and all, I've been very happy with my system though. It is running on the original installation of 10.2 from August 2002.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003
Well, I rebooted last night after some installs and repair permissions, so right now I'm at 17:39.

But my highest was like 14 days and some-odd hours, but then a system update came along, so I HAD to reboot.

Also, I used to leave my Mac on all night, but just turn the display off, but recently I've been putting it on sleep, my uptimes are much lower recently.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/9410

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
1.25ghz Alum PB, 512ram, Panther.4
I beat the h*ll out of this computer. Graphic design (mostly PS work) Multiple Appls, some of which I don't ever quit (Safari, Mail, & iTunes mostly). I also frequently play a few games, WCIII and MythII. My current uptime is 44 days 23 hours, 57 minutes.

I've only ever had one Kernel panic in the 7 months I've owned this PB, and aside from that only shut down for updates. That includes backpacking through Costa Rica, where I achieved a 23 day uptime though traveling on foot and public bus before I shut it down for a boat trip. I envisioned swimming to shore, my pack sinking to the river bed behind me, and my powerbook raised above my head.

Now I'm going to have to kill my current uptime by sending my computer in to Apple for white spots...
You guys think it'd work to put a sticky on it that reads "I have only slept my computer for shipping due to my obsession with my uptime, please replace monitor without shutting down computer, thanks" ...?
maybe?
no?
bummer :(

Tyler

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
18:17 up 120 days, 21 mins, 3 users, load averages: 1.24 1.37 1.27
Dual 1.0GHz Quicksilver, 512MB RAM, 10.3.3 (because I haven't shut it down to install 10.3.4).

This is my work machine, and includes a D2OL distributed client running the whole time, between 5 and 20 apps open depending on what I'm doing, and a whole lot of network activity (all backups go to my machine, and I connect to it from other Windows boxes and Macs here occasionally).

Being able to turn off the Ethernet port without shutting down is nice, since it's let me reset the network connection when the campus network flakes out and confuses the router, which is frequently.

I'm not actually an uptime junky; I tend to shut my home computer down much more frequently, but I thought I'd see how stable one of the Macs I maintain in a real work environment actually is. Depending on what's updated, I suppose I'll probably install 10.3.5 when that is released.

We also get huge uptimes on Windows machines here, but only ones that are used as dedicated test stations.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
I shut my Mac down every night (yah, I know I don't really have to), but one of my co-workers never shuts his PowerBook down - I should get him to run the uptime command and see what he's at! He just takes it to work, plugs it in, takes it home, and plugs it in again every day. Hmm, and he doesn't really do much to it that would require an actual restart... Man, his uptime could be going on 2 years... ;) :cool:

billyboy

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2003
In my head
UpTimeInMenuBar is a menu bar utility that gets people asking things like, "Whats that red 8days 12:20 all about?"

The thing is I wont put up with any slowdowns, and I obstinately refuse to switch any apps off, and I am forever installing new stuff just to see what it does, and consequently a week seems to be the threshold for OSX staying nippy. It never misbehaves badly, touch wood, but a sign of a restart is when the finder scrolls slow every now and again, or Safari grabs all the processor and beachballs. I will try the tip about logging out and relaunching Safari more often, to see if it makes any difference to my uptime.

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
how about GeekTool? much more flexible in showing other commands, you can change the font size and color of the output, you can place the output over your menubar if you like, so it looks like it's just sitting up there. :)

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
crees! said:
Now that 10.3.5 is out lets see who can hold out the longest. Say till Tiger!

Hmm, and since I don't plan on upgrading to Tiger, that wil save me a reboot right there... Hmm, could be a fun contest... ;)

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003
~Shard~ said:
Hmm, and since I don't plan on upgrading to Tiger, that wil save me a reboot right there... Hmm, could be a fun contest... ;)

I'm pretty sure 10.3.6 will be out before tiger is. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.