Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jeff3f

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2010
(not a macbook disclaimer)...for me it was in early 1987, having a lovely apple 2gs unboxing when I realized that I lacked the 3.5" disk drive necessary to use the disks that came with the system (was re-using an old 5.25" disk][ drive from the prior apple2 computer). Worse, the display didn't work well with common (composite) monitors of the day...one also needed an apple RGB monitor. So I started to unbox a sweet new computer but ended up setting up essentialky an apple //e with a useless "turbo" mode...only 1 legacy title even recognized my mouse (music construction kit), so for MONTHS this system really sucked. I still remember the styrofoam smell...when I later read "Neuromancer", I imagined that the Ono-Sendai 7000 (or whatever) had a similar smell/feel unboxed. So a pretty sweet unboxing that crashed into poor reality quite quickly! YMMV!!!

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
Notta.

No problems with any of my Apple products out of the box. I got a scratched Mophie Juice Pack Air from the store. But, that'd be a third party product.

Guess I'm just burping four leaf clovers or something compared to the stories in this thread.

boto

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2012
I purchased a refurbished iMac 27" i7 back in 2011 and as soon as I updated the new graphics firmware on it, it literally died after reboot. So I had to resend it back for a replacement. The next one I received had a few scuffs inside the iMac screen, but didn't bother me too much when the computer was on, and there was a small chip below the Apple logo in the front. I ended up accepting it and moved on with my life to avoid going through the same process of wasting my time and effort to migrate all of my information.

The current rMBP I own has a chip below the SD card slot, a small ding on the edge of the right of the black display adjuster, and 1 imbalanced "B" key that is slightly tilted to the right. Yes, I am really OCD about it. Spending $2k+ seems unacceptable to receive such products. So right now I'm justifying if it is worth it to try replace it for a perfected machine, but I probably won't to avoid another problem I may encounter in the new one.

jburns

macrumors regular
May 1, 2007
NC-USA
The new Mag Safe 2 connector on my rMBP is a pain in the butt. The magnet is just not strong enough. It seems as if all I have to do is turn on the ceiling fan and it falls off. A very small thing but it gets irritating after awhile.

SteveU30

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2012
I purchased a refurbished iMac 27" i7 back in 2011 and as soon as I updated the new graphics firmware on it, it literally died after reboot. So I had to resend it back for a replacement. The next one I received had a few scuffs inside the iMac screen, but didn't bother me too much when the computer was on, and there was a small chip below the Apple logo in the front. I ended up accepting it and moved on with my life to avoid going through the same process of wasting my time and effort to migrate all of my information.

The current rMBP I own has a chip below the SD card slot, a small ding on the edge of the right of the black display adjuster, and 1 imbalanced "B" key that is slightly tilted to the right. Yes, I am really OCD about it. Spending $2k+ seems unacceptable to receive such products. So right now I'm justifying if it is worth it to try replace it for a perfected machine, but I probably won't to avoid another problem I may encounter in the new one.

That's awful (both examples). I wouldn't be accepting the rMBP in that condition!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.