What's you're favourite software?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by adm531, Jun 9, 2009.

1. adm531 macrumors member

I'm geting a new mac and want to find out from everyone what their favourite applications are so i can download them and try.

thanks

PS Anyone got a better, safer alternative to Limewire?

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I'd assume you're talking about downloading official demo versions of said software, and not using Limewire to get your hands on pirated full versions?

I ask because helping you with pirated software is against forum rules, so you might not get much luck asking for such assistance.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Here are 2 lists of some of the most common software for the Mac

Links to Software Recommendation Threads and List of Mac Software in the Guides

There are no viruses for OSX, just be careful with any downloads. There are trojans, but they require you to enter your administrative password. I won't try to be your conscience, but downloads should be for freeware, trial versions or for purchase. Discussions of pirating software are not permitted on the Forum.

Some of my favorites:

iWork = Pages/Numbers/Keynote
    Open Office = MS Office replacement
    Graphic Converter
    Adium = chat client

Coconut Battery
    iStat Menus
    Carbon Copy Cloner
    WinClone

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

4. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

He didn't ask for demos or shareware, full or pirated versions, nor did he ask for a LIST of all mac software. He asked a simple question " what is your favorite mac software?".

To answer the OP, my current favorite is Tweetie. And for an alternative to limewire, just use Transmission (it is a BT client though, so I am not sure if it is the alternative you are looking for.

5. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

Click the link in my signature below for a list of some good apps for OS X.

6. Dojan5 macrumors newbie

Better, yes, safer, no. It's called Frostwire and it's basically a free version of Limewire Pro.

My fave apps, which I use a lot would be:
    Photoshop, Parallels, VMWare Fusion, Skype, iWork '09, Adium, Screen Flow, Xcode and XNJB.
    I don't think I have to explain any of these softwares apart from XNJB. I use XNJB so I can sync my Mp3 player, which happen to be a Creative Zen, to my Mac. Simple :p

Come to think of it, I also love Growl, Glims, Synergy and CoolIris. Quicksilver is a cool app, but I don't use it anymore. CrossOver is great, using it I don't have to dual boot, or use Windows for all Windows apps I'd might want to run.

Oh oh! Appfresh is a great application, and if you have lots of third party apps (Like moi), you'd might want to download Appfresh to keep them up to date. But I think Appfresh is still in BETA.

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yes. Use your credit card to acquire software and media legally.