Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following in the footsteps of Snapchat and Instagram, Facebook-owned WhatsApp today announced the launch of "Status," a new feature that's designed to let users share videos, photos, and GIFs that expire each day.

The Status addition to WhatsApp is essentially identical to the "Stories" feature in Instagram and Snapchat, both of which allow users to share daily life updates with friends and family that expire after 24 hours.

With WhatsApp Status, WhatsApp users can use the in-app camera to share photos or videos that can be annotated with emoji, text snippets, and drawings. Status updates can be shared with all contacts, rather than just individuals or specific groups, but there are also options to choose who is able to see what.

whatsappstatus-800x450.jpg

Through the new Status tab, WhatsApp users can view all of the updates that their address book contacts have shared on the app and reply privately to updates. All Status updates expire after a 24 hour period.

WhatsApp is launching Status to celebrate its eighth anniversary. The new feature is rolling out to WhatsApp users starting today and should be available soon for all iPhone, Android, and Windows Phone users.

WhatsApp can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: WhatsApp Announces New 'Status' Feature for Sharing Videos and Photos That Expire After 24 Hours

GrumpyMom

macrumors G4
Sep 11, 2014
Eau de la Facebook. Yuck. Do. Not. Want.

Fortunately it's just me and my husband using WhatsApp. I can't see us using this feature, but you never know. We also use iMessage and when he gets bored at lunch he spams me with gifs and sparkles, so I get my revenge spamming him with stickers and gifs and poop emojis. We are 50 going on 12. But really, I never thought we'd be using the stickers on iMessage. Let alone the damned sparkles.

Perhaps I should amend that...my 12 year old and her friends use only texts and have forbidden the excessive use of emojis after one girl spammed everyone in group text with an entire page of emojis. Stickers seem banned entirely after everyone had their fill of them and quickly got sick of them. They're also pretty intolerant of text slang and the kinds of updates and rants I'm used to seeing from millennials to my age range on FB. There might yet be hope for the future.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Any way to revert back to the older version? I really dont like this Snapchat clone.
Only if you have the older version stored somewhere like in iTunes.

In that case you'd delete the current version and reinstall the older version from iTunes.

Make sure to keep your data backup handy, which you should be able to export from within WhatsApp.

On Android things would be a whole lot easier, but that's a nice reminder where on the toy to productivity scale iOS actually is unlike what Apple tries so very hard to project in people's minds.

Best of luck!

Glassed Silver:win

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Whatsapp is becoming very popular. If use iMessage but it's only apple and frankly not very useful.

Sadly I don't remember the last one I've used SMS/iMessage , between slack and whatsapp I've no reason to use iMessage.

As for this feature, just a snapchat ripoff

Reactions: Cameroncafe10a

rom3o

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2014
I don't get the fuss. Yeah, maybe they stole the idea elsewhere (I've never used Snapchat...) but the feature is tucked away in its own section (as the status menu has been before) so there will be no change in your using experience if you don't look into it on purpose. And even if you get there somewhat accidentally you still have to tap deliberately on someone's name to actually see his 'status thing'.

I won't use this none sense myself but the unobtrusive way they've implemented it is totally fine with me.

decafjava

macrumors 68040
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
So what happened to my list of contacts on WhatsApp?? I hate this change but could accept it if I could see the list of contacts who are using WhatsApp.

Manatlt

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2013
London, UK
Only if you have the older version stored somewhere like in iTunes.

In that case you'd delete the current version and reinstall the older version from iTunes.

Make sure to keep your data backup handy, which you should be able to export from within WhatsApp.

On Android things would be a whole lot easier, but that's a nice reminder where on the toy to productivity scale iOS actually is unlike what Apple tries so very hard to project in people's minds.

Best of luck!

Glassed Silver:win

It's server side. There was a hidden Switch inside the versions of the app.

You download WhatsApp and it looks normal, but 24 hours later the interface changes. That's because WhatsApp pushed a switch behind their coding.

Even some previous versions will have this switch. You'll need a mid 2016 version to revert back.

And even then, is it worth it? No one will see your old text status now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.