WhatsApp Announces Support for Sticker Packs

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 26, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

WhatsApp is about to introduce support for stickers in the massively popular chat app, an official blog post revealed today.

Stickers have been available on rival messaging platforms including Apple's iMessages and Telegram for some time, so today's announcement isn't a surprise as WhatsApp tries to cement its position as the most popular messenger app globally.

[​IMG]

To begin with, WhatsApp is launching sticker packs created by its own in-house designers, along with a selection of stickers from other artists.

However, users can also expect third-party sticker packs further down the line, as WhatsApp is also releasing a set of APIs and interfaces that will allow anyone "minimal development or coding experience" to build their own sticker packs and publish them on the App Store.

WhatsApp users can post stickers in chat threads via a new sticker button, and add new sticker packs by tapping the plus icon, once they become available on iOS and Android over the coming weeks.

Article Link: WhatsApp Announces Support for Sticker Packs

2. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

As long as they are free it's ok, thing is, that's not always the case, think it's stupid to buy stickers.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

WhatsApp seems a little late to the party with this and they seem to be lacking in visual quality imo.

4. ikir macrumors 65816

ikir

They just copy everything they can from Telegram (they did for a lot to things lately like location sharing), naturally not server side features. Whatsapp still runs locally draining battery, eating a lot of space and have crap backup system.
    Just use iMessage or Telegram.

5. 212rikanmofo macrumors 68000

A messaging platform owned and operated by Facebook who are widely known for privacy scandals. No thanks. I'll stick to iMessage instead.

6. comakut macrumors newbie

:confused: Maybe this is the beginning of the end for WhatsApp.

7. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

8. shareef777 Suspended

shareef777

Yes, more tech illiterate posting about stuff they know nothing about. Google (or is that taboo as well) “end to end encryption” (the thing that WhatsApp did, long before Apple made it “cool”).

And good luck sending iMessages to more then the other half of the planet that doesn’t have iPhones.

9. robinp macrumors 6502

I noticed this in the app a couple of days ago. I won’t be using the feature.

10. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Got excited for a second thinking Whatsapp was finally going to be supported on iPad.

11. allenvanhellen macrumors regular

Sticker packs should be independent of the messaging app.

12. 212rikanmofo, Oct 26, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2018

212rikanmofo macrumors 68000

That seems like a personal problem then. But it's a non-issue for me, everyone I know has an iPhone so no luck needed there. And yeah Google is even worse. Do yourself a favor and do some research. 1st off, iMessage/FaceTime had always had end to end encryption when it came out ~2011. Where as your crappy whatsapp didn't get it until 2016.

Besides you're missing the point. It's not about who does it 1st, but more about who can do it better. First doesn't mean **** if it sucks. I would trust Apple's implementation of end to end encryption much more than Facebook for sure. And I don't even know why you're bringing up Google.

13. comakut macrumors newbie

I see it will become more and more bloated with useless stuff like status/stories, and now this. I don't want those bad-looking stickers that fill half of the display. Emojis are OK, but this is too much for me.

Part of the original sales pitch of WhatsApp was that it was simple and clean, but Facebook wants to imitate its competitors and its products become eventually bloated with many features. Now that the WhatsApp founders have left the company, Zuck has free reign. Good luck to him.

14. Krebutsan macrumors newbie

Krebutsan

Annoying stickers was one of reasons for deleting Viber.

15. simply258 macrumors regular

Hoping for Dual SIM support some day, sooner rather than later.

16. palmerc2 macrumors 68000

palmerc2

The beginning of the end will be when WhatsApp has ads.

I hope Telegram overtakes WhatsApp for popularity, it’s better in my opinion.

17. ikir macrumors 65816

ikir

Active and techie % of iPhone users are much more bigger than graham using Android. But anyway you are right, I'm also not a very big fan of iMessage, especially on macOS. Instead Telegram is far superior technically, they implements critical features usually before others, especially Whastapp, it is available and native in a lot of platforms. So forget iMessage anyway, but Telegram is quite perfect compared to slow, bugged, running locally, eating you battery and space, not cloud, Facebook owned Whastapp.

18. Textime macrumors regular

Stickers for what?! Just having more buttons where you just want to type in your text. iMessage has so many buttons which just looks ugly now

19. shareef777, Oct 26, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2018

shareef777 Suspended

shareef777

Really!? A simple google search would show what’s app is the top messaging app in the world. iMessage doesn’t even rank in the top 10!

20. 212rikanmofo macrumors 68000

**** Google search, they modify their search results in favor for their own personal beliefs. A "top" messaging app that me, my friends and family will never use. Have fun with your ****** "whatsapp". Even if that were true, it doesn't mean it's the best messaging app. It's all subjective, and for me personally I find whatsapp ugly and an eyesore, bloated, and crap compared to iMessage.

21. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Sounds like this article shouldn't be of much interest.

22. shareef777 Suspended

shareef777

Yes, Google is skewing results towards a Facebook app!? Your tin foil hat is on too tight.

https://www.statista.com/statistics...share-held-by-smartphone-operating-systems/#0

When almost 90% of the planet uses Android they need a platform that works across multiple devices. Don’t get me wrong. I prefer iMessage to any other platform, but HAVE to use WhatsApp for the non-iPhone users I know and chat groups that include 10+ people. It’s not the best, but definitely more functional then iMessage.

23. RumorConsumer macrumors 6502a

RumorConsumer

I agree but for what it lacks in those things theyre technically a leader in terms of encryption and everybody i know from europe uses it constantly.