WhatsApp Begins Rolling Out Support for Media Previews in Message Notifications

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 4, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    WhatsApp now supports media previews in new message notifications, according to the latest update for iPhone users running iOS 10 or later.

For as long as WhatsApp has been on iPhone, any images included in messages have been replaced by a camera emoji in notifications, so you had to open the app to see the attached media.

Similarly, GIF messages sent over the chat platform are traditionally represented in notifications by the space invader emoji, requiring users to open WhatsApp to view the content.

That behavior is set to change in version 2.18.90, released today, with support included for full media previews. On devices with 3D Touch, a hard press on notifications should reveal the media without having to open the app. Alternatively, users can swipe left on the notifications and tap View in the revealed menu.

It's also worth noting that the media preview feature allows users to download images and GIFs directly from the notification if they have disabled WhatsApp's media auto-download option.

According to WABetaInfo, the media preview feature isn't working for everyone who has updated just yet, but WhatsApp is apparently aware of the issue and is aiming to fix it server-side within the next few days.

Also in version 2.18.90, WhatsApp is introducing a feature that flags suspicious links sent over the chat platform. When a message is received that contains a link, WhatsApp analyzes the URL characters locally in order to detect if the link is suspicious and alerts the user in the chat thread.

WhatsApp is a free download for iPhone available from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: WhatsApp Begins Rolling Out Support for Media Previews in Message Notifications

2. TheSourceOfTruth macrumors newbie

TheSourceOfTruth

The question remains, why does WhatsApp not support iPads when Viber has supported iPads and iPhones for many years? Is WhatsApp saying that Viber is more clever that they can support iPads but WhatsApp cannot?

3. DiscoMcDisco macrumors regular

DiscoMcDisco

As long as this still allows me to control the message preview then it’s fine, the last thing I want is a spamming notification centre or for my nephew (who at 2 is definitely savvy enough) to swipe and view something inappropriate (especially gifs etc).

4. TheSourceOfTruth macrumors newbie

TheSourceOfTruth

What do you think of WhatsApp that it doesn’t support iPads but Viber does?

5. erpetao macrumors regular

6. miflgr92 macrumors member

I’d really like WhatsApp to add the ability to pull down the notification to preview the message thread and quick reply without having to enter the app itself. I love this feature on iMessage and it would be great to have it on WhatsApp, fb messenger, and other 3rd party apps. My guess is that Apple has blocked this feature. Does anyone know if this is possible or will be possible in a future update?

7. donglewhine, Sep 4, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2018

donglewhine macrumors newbie

The best update for WhatsApp will be when it DISAPPEARS FROM THE FACE OF EARTH. I can't believe people are still using a messaging app that's hard-wired to the phone (amongst many other failures).

8. TheSourceOfTruth macrumors newbie

TheSourceOfTruth

It’s not hard wired into the phone at all. It’s an option; it’s an app.

9. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 603

Mr. Retrofire

The WhatsApp userbase regarding the tablets is very small. Yes a few business users, but most of them use other tools from Cisco for example.

Cisco iPad tools:
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/developer/cisco/id298844389

10. Agneev macrumors member

This should have released alongside iOS 10. Development on WhatsApp have diminished ever since Facebook bought it.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 4, 2018 ---
    You can, in fact, 3D Touch on a notification from WhatsApp and type your reply and send it.

11. DaveTheRave macrumors 6502a

Now that both WhatsApp founders have left the company maybe that will change.

12. TheSourceOfTruth macrumors newbie

TheSourceOfTruth

It simply says that Viber is more clever to have an iPad and iPhones apps.

13. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68020

bladerunner2000

Sounds like what you want is an Android phone.

14. donglewhine macrumors newbie

I mean it doesn't work without your phone. Your battery dies and that's it. With respect to being an option, strictly it is, but it's kind of difficult ditching it when everyone around you uses it, as in my case.

15. miflgr92 macrumors member

I have seriously contemplated making the switch to Android many times. I would like a lot more customization options on my iPhone that Android offers but I’m one of the suckers that is hooked on the Apple ecosystem and nervous to make the change.

16. jimthing macrumors 65816

jimthing

Dunno what exactly people mean here.

There's an iPad app and a Mac app isn't there? I have both.

What's wrong with using those then (genuine question)?

17. TonnyM macrumors member

This is terrifying, sad and uneccaptable. This move will lead to end of freedom for us as a citizens, we all will be fully controlled by governments that don’t consider right to privacy as a fundamental human right in digital era. Sadly our leaders also don’t understand that weakening encryption will have dramatic consequences for us all, they don’t understand that you can’t build back doors only against bad guys and that you can’t have encryption keys that will be safe anywhere from hackers.

18. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68020

bladerunner2000

Honestly, they're both the same. The thing that bugs the hell out of me with iPhone is the function to go 'back' a page... it's always hidden or works in some wonky way.

Customization is a treat on Android. No matter which Android phone I get, Nova Launcher lets me make all of my devices look just like the one before, so it never feels foreign to me once I've got something that I'm comfortable with.

That said, why not get a cheap used Android phone to mess around with... and sell it on Craigslist if you end up not liking it?

19. WBRacing macrumors 65816

WBRacing

My daily driver is an Android device. When I use my iPhone it is so frustratingly clunky to do basic actions. It's why I chuckle when others declare Android as an unusable mess. Choice clearly and the ability to configure scares some people.

20. Manatlt macrumors 6502a

The iPad app is a 3rd party app and not official.

And what's wrong with those, is that the apps (PC/Web, Mac, 3rd party) are like skeletons. Everything goes through your phone. If your phone dies or has no internet connection, the skeleton apps won't work.

This is different compared to others like iMessage and FB Messenger.

21. MacBH928 macrumors 68030

MacBH928

Why don't people just move over to Signal and secure their lives or at least Telegram where its safer away from Facebook surveillance eye.

Most people use Whatsapp because everyonoe else is using Whatsapp and it becomes the similar problem of the chicken and the egg.

I wish some organization would do something like "Mass Migration Day" where everyone moves over to another more secure messaging app.