Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As indicated in a newly published support document, WhatsApp has ended support for iOS 9 and earlier versions of Apple's mobile operating system, requiring all users to be running at least iOS 10, released in 2016.

Whatsapp-Feature.jpg

Up until now, iOS 9 users – who will have been mainly iPhone 4s owners – were able to use the encrypted chat service. Going forward, however, iOS 10 is required, meaning users will need an iPhone 5 or later model to use WhatsApp.

The drop in support follows a similar move by the Facebook-owned instant messaging service last year, when it ended support for iOS 8 and older.

For customers finding themselves no longer being able to use the app due to the end of support, it's recommended that you back up your WhatsApp chats to iCloud, and restore your chat history to a newer, supported device. You can find instructions on how to do so here.

Article Link: WhatsApp Ends Support for iOS 9, Now Requires iPhone 5 or Later to Work

Last edited:

zjack

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2020
Maybe then they can put more time into working on their native iPadOS app...

Comment

newyorksole

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I’m sure there are people in some crappy financial/environmental situations who can’t upgrade their 4/4S, but like others have said, it’s just too old.

Comment

tridley68

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2014
I have been using this app to communicate with my daughter who's attending college in England it is a great little app and saves me a ton on cell minutes.

Comment

ruka.snow

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
Scotland
I can't imagine too many of these exceedingly old phones still work. The article may make it a bigger deal than it is, if this was never reported I am sure no one would be any the wiser.

Comment

I7guy

macrumors Penryn
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Running an OS that old is not safe anyway. A decade of missed security patches. I hope Apple will create a buy a device, give a device program (similar to Bombas, Warby Parker) for customers that can afford it.
Don’t know how for example Bombas buy a sock give a sock (it should be noted they are not for retail socks but specifically designed socks for this purpose) scales to other industries? Buy an iPhone give an iPhone, buy a car give a car, etc.

Comment

NewUsername

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2019
I still know people here in the Netherlands who have an iPhone 4s.

But it's a non-issue. Sell your iPhone 4s for 20 euro and buy an iPhone 5 for 30 euro. Or a 2016 iPhone SE for 60 euro. I mean, how much do you pay every month for your mobile subscription?

The ones in the Netherlands with a problem now are teenagers with an iPhone 4s who now need to convince their parents that they deserve an upgrade.

Though of course I can imagine the iPhone 4s might still have some decent use in developing countries.

Comment

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
Running an OS that old is not safe anyway. A decade of missed security patches. I hope Apple will create a buy a device, give a device program (similar to Bombas, Warby Parker) for customers that can afford it.
only a couple of years, last iOS 9 update was in July 2019

Reactions: vmistery
Comment

P-DogNC

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2016
North Carolina
Remember folks the end of WhatsApp support on those phones does not render them useless. They can still be used to make calls, send text messages, emails and use the web.
Far from useless, the ending of support by Facebook/WhatsApp is actually an upgrade for the iPhone 4S. It will improve the user experience on that old device, as the lack of a Facebook service would improve any device.

Comment

Le0M

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2020
Is whatsapp dropping iOS 9, or that specific phone?
In the first case, hats off to Apple, that "allows" iphones to be up to date for 5 years.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.