WhatsApp for iOS Gains Group Calling for Voice and Video

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 30, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Popular Facebook-owned messaging app WhatsApp this afternoon announced that the WhatsApp apps for iOS and Android devices now support group calling for voice and video.

WhatsApp users can make group calls with up to four people total by starting a one-on-one voice or video call and then tapping the "add participant" button in the top right corner of the app to add another contact to the call.

[​IMG]

WhatsApp says that its group calls are end-to-end encrypted and designed to work reliably around the world in a variety of different network conditions.

The feature, which was first announced by Facebook in May at its F8 developer event, is rolling out to iPhone and Android users and should be available to all users soon.

WhatsApp can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: WhatsApp for iOS Gains Group Calling for Voice and Video

2. szw-mapple fan macrumors 65816

szw-mapple fan

Not sure what's the point of WhatsApp these days since it doesn't seem to have much differentiating features compared to FB Messenger.

3. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

I don't understand your comment. Isn't WhatsApp the worlds most used messaging app?

4. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

Encrypted and private messaging should be enough.

5. ChrisMoBro macrumors 6502

ChrisMoBro

A simple UI for group chat. Much nicer than Apple’s weird floating video rubbish.

6. DrJohnnyN macrumors 65816

DrJohnnyN

7. fairuz, Jul 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2018

fairuz macrumors 68000

fairuz

They both have that, and btw, this feature doesn't guarantee privacy on either.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 30, 2018 ---
    They're similar, except Facebook Messenger uses your Facebook friends, and WhatsApp has phone numbers like in iMessage/FaceTime. That makes FB Messenger pretty much better if you already have your friends list on FB and WhatsApp better if you're more phone number oriented. Since so many people are on Facebook, I'd say FB Messenger has the advantage here. But it's also worse in less important ways, like the app itself now having ads and stories.

Doesn't matter at all because realistically you just use what your friends use. In the US, nobody uses WhatsApp. In other countries, they do, sometimes because their restricted Internet plans don't allow anything else.
    This old-style setup doesn't work well past 4 users, and it's hard to tell who's talking.

8. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

I think you misunderstood my question to szw-mapple fan. I know what both apps are and who their primary audiences are. My question was why would someone not see the point of Whatsapp. As you pointed out, they cater to different audiences through different means. FBM is the #1 messenger app in the US and WhatsApp is the #1 in the world. As to advantage... they're both monstrous so I don't think it matters that much.

9. Hushpuppy! macrumors newbie

Hushpuppy!

Well that’s opinionated. I disagree. I feel that Apples version is more enchanting. More esthetically pleasing and clever.
    What’s Apps’ version of simplicity without esthetics is boring.

10. verpeiler macrumors 6502a

verpeiler

Quite simple, many people aren't (or weren't) on Facebook when WhatsApp reached it's critical mass (which is essential to even have a chance as a "platform"). Since you can use it with just a phone number and nothing else it is easy to set up and just works.

11. navigates macrumors 6502a

facebook messenger does not have 1/10th of an adoption when compared to whatsapp. In that way, there is bbm, telegram as well.

12. one more macrumors 6502a

one more

WhatsApp is linked to your phone number, while FB Messenger - to Facebook account.

13. m0sher macrumors 6502

m0sher

Just in time to compete with new iOS 12 which will allow up to 32 people in one group face time......errr wait....never mind competition over.

Throw in iMessenger and there little WhatsApp offers that’s enticing for iOS owners to switch for IMO.

14. Manatlt macrumors 6502a

FB Messenger can also be used to link your number and chat with FB friends. You don’t need a Facebook account since 2015.

15. Azzin macrumors 601

Azzin

IMHO, it would be nice to have more than 4 people in a WA group video chat.

16. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

WhatsApp is a good solution for Asian and African countries, Plus is cross platform. I don’t want to use WhatsApp but have to stick with it because of my Android using family & friends.

17. one more macrumors 6502a

one more

Yes, but this came later on. WhatsApp and Viber were phone-number based from the beginning, so it was much easier to find your contacts. With recent Facebook privacy concerns, I am not sure many new people would be adding their phone numbers to it.
    Sure, it is just that iOS accounts for almost 19% of mobile OS market share worldwide and Android - for almost 77%. So if we want to be able to simply contact people, regardless of what phone they use, we would also need a cross-platform solution.

18. szw-mapple fan macrumors 65816

szw-mapple fan

Messenger is the second most used chat platform in the world. For all intents and purposes it has basically the same size user base now.

Other than the difference of phone numbers/fb accounts though, there are hardly any outstanding differences. Facebook could easily have folded one app into the other and I doubt anyone would complain.

19. Sandstorm macrumors 6502a

Sandstorm

20. ChrisMoBro macrumors 6502

ChrisMoBro

I normally would refuse to enter into a debate about design with someone that can’t spell aesthetics but I will anyway. Apple have always been about simplicity and the floating video look is just such a gimmick. I want to be able to see people’s faces clearly and not have to track them. Google Hangouts, whilst floored, handles group chats much better. Have thumbnails of the users and when someone is taking they’re the main image on screen. Much cleaner and less gimmicky. Of course, this is my opinion and you’re right when you say it’s subjective but I’m just not a fan of gimmicky design, which is something Apple seems to be embracing with their love of Animojis

21. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

You really think that? Look at this heat map and it's associated data. Tell me again how you doubt anyone would complain. WA is the most popular app in 104 countries. FBM is the most popular in 64. Seriously, how much complaining do you think would happen if you told people in 1 country they're messaging platform is being folded into another? Now, multiply that by 100. If by this point, you still think the same way...
    Blue - Facebook Messenger Green - WhatsApp Red - WeChat
    [​IMG]

22. Radon87000 macrumors 604

In Asia and Europe in many countries, iMessage is irrelevant as is FB messenger. WhatsApp is the go to in such countries.

23. DaveTheRave macrumors 6502a

End-to-end encryption turned on by default (Signal Protocol)
    Admin rights on groups
    Public group links if you want your group to be open
    No account number or email or password required (no signup friction)
    Massive global user base
    Cross-platform
    No ads
    Pretty simple to use

24. Risco macrumors 68000

Risco

All my friends on Android including my girlfriend have WhatsApp. Its the nearest to iMessage, hate facebook messenger.

25. Zoboomafoo macrumors 6502

I don’t know what everyone is complaining about. We all know they’re going to change the terms of membership again tomorrow. And Thursday. And Friday.