Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

whatsapp.jpg
TechCrunch reports that WhatsApp CEO Jan Koum has revealed in an interview with Dutch journalist Alexander Klopping that WhatsApp Messenger for iPhone will be moving to a subscription model by the end of the year.
The new subscription model would apply to new users, Koum said, and would likely follow the same pricing structure as its other apps, which are free for the first year and then cost $1/year, compared to the single, for-life $0.99 purchase that users make on iOS today. "We're relaxed on dates, but definitely this year. It's on the road map," Koum said.
When asked why the company was making the change, Koum responded that they wanted "to keep things simple," probably referring to wanting to have a standard pricing model across all platforms.

WhatsApp is an immensely popular cross-platform messaging app that sees 17 billion messages sent daily, which is over eight times as many as Apple's 2 billion messages sent daily on iMessage.

As of right now, WhatsApp for iPhone is still available for $0.99 on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: WhatsApp for iPhone Moving to Subscription Model Later This Year

evil89

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2009
Waiting for the first moron with an iPhone that cannot afford to spend .79$/y on such a great app.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
"To keep things simple" yeah right, the most simple things are : people pay 1 dollar and thats it, not a subscription based.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
17 billion daily is crazy!! I never realised just how high that number is :eek:

jace88

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney, Australia
It's not so much people who buy iPhones can't afford to pay $1 a year but rather, there's plenty of competing apps which are free and do the same thing. I appreciate Whatsapp not including advertisements and that it's cross platform, but I feel that if it essentially becomes closed to new users due to noone wanting to pay, it'll just become less relevant in the face of competition from FB Messaging, Skype, and the multitude of other free chat-with-friend apps.

I was astonished to see this happen on my BB the other day saying I needed to update but to do so would cost me money. The solution was simple- I uninstalled Whatsapp.

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
Waiting for the first moron with an iPhone that cannot afford to spend .79$/y on such a great app.

You would be surprised what a 1 dollar paywall will do. Especially when rumors start about WhatsAPP being a subscription

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Very fair. The app has been out for awhile and has constant updates. The app was originally free - then they charged .99

On Android - first year is free and then .99 a year already.

It's a far more reliable service than iMessage (my experience) and I love not caring whether or not the person on the other end has the same phone as I do.

I am MORE than happy to support these developers. And .99 a year? Ridiculously cheap.

RIP WhatsApp? Hardly. People love it.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Same here. WhatsApp is irrelevant.

Just curious. All your friends and family have an iPhone? Or do you already pay for unlimited messaging on your carrier?

For me - paying .99 a year vs $20 for unlimited text messages a month is a no brainer.

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
I'm more than happy to pay a tiny yearly fee to use a service like Whatsapp. Anyone who'd choose a "free" service over a service provided at a low price which offers excellent value clearly hasn't learned a thing about what a "free" service really is. Just ask Google Reader users.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I installed it and checked my 837 contacts
Nobody I know is using this now, much less when it goes subscription

I know it is very popular among others, but it doesn't help me at all

nottooshabby

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
For me the biggest advantage of Whats app over iMessage is the ability to send a message with a map of your location. Instead of having to type "I'm at the corner of 5th and lincoln" to the question, where are you, in three touches you can send a map of your location. It used to be better when it was only two touches, but oh well.

iPusch

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2012
Manhattan, New York
Wait! I don't get it...
I can keep on using Whatsapp for free because I bought it for 0.99$ :confused:
Will they take the 0.99$ app off store & launch a new "free" one including the subscription thingy?

The article is a lil confusing :-//

OutSpoken

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
UK
To be honest, I would prefer for them to just include banner ads if they need to generate revenue... I know many people won't like that, but ads in certain apps don't bother me.

I do think the $1 subscription will have a significant impact, and as more and more of my friends and family use iPhones I guess that we'll just end up using iMessage after all.

Lets put it in perspective, most people migrated to apps like Whatsapp due to the high cost of sending sms messages, i.e. overseas, and saw instant messaging apps as cost saving free alternatives. But nowadays sms services are bundle on for free with most carriers offering unlimited usage.

youknome

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2010
To be honest, I would prefer for them to just include banner ads if they need to generate revenue... I know many people won't like that, but ads in certain apps don't bother me.

I do think the $1 subscription will have a significant impact, and as more and more of my friends and family use iPhones I guess that we'll just end up using iMessage after all.

Lets put it in perspective, most people migrated to apps like Whatsapp due to the high cost of sending sms messages, i.e. overseas, and saw instant messaging apps as cost saving free alternatives. But nowadays sms services are bundle on for free with most carriers offering unlimited usage.

Banner ads? I hope not, they're the bane of my life. I paid 59p for this app couple years ago, as a result of Whatsapp I hardly use my unlimited text allowance, it's amazing. Besides Whatsapp is always free around Christmas time.

ds2000

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2012
A whole $1 a year for this simply superb cross-platform app.... no brainer for me :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.