Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

WhatsApp parent company Meta has announced two new updates related to WhatsApp groups, including a new privacy control tool for admins and a way for users to find out which groups they have in common.

WhatsApp_GroupsBundle_Header.jpg

For group admins, WhatsApp now includes a Pending participants tool that gives them the ability to decide who can join the group.

When an admin chooses to share their group's invite link or make their group joinable in a community, they'll now have more control over who can join, says WhatsApp.

It's also now possible for a user to find out which groups they have in common with someone else. This can be done by simply searching a contact's name, where they will be able to see the contact's group memberships.

The new group features are rolling out over the coming weeks on iOS and Android.

Looking ahead, WhatsApp has been testing a new feature that will allow group chat memberships on the encrypted platform to expire after a set period of time, although it's not clear when it will be ready to go live.

Article Link: WhatsApp Gains New Group Features for Admins and Members

akbarali.ch

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2011
Mumbai (India)
Need to have topics for groups and non-groups. Now so much of conversation happens on chat, that keeping track of topics being discussed is getting confusing.

xmarcuswildx

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
“Communities” is there such thing as large WhatsApp group chats based on hobbies/common traits? Interesting if so.

Allthings-I

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2014
I'd like to see the ability to hide other users numbers / names in a broadcast only group when you have an announcement to make but don't need opinions/ replies but also respecting users privacy as not everyone wants their numbers being shared among others. Kind of like a BCC for email.

robfoll

Contributor
Mar 22, 2020
I was hacked and thrown off WA, Insta and FB with no appeal - Meta are nasty bastards, and you cannot rely on their Apps. Signal is a great replacement and also has impressive audio quality on calls. BOYCOTT META

mystery hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2021
I'd like to see the ability to hide other users numbers / names in a broadcast only group when you have an announcement to make but don't need opinions/ replies but also respecting users privacy as not everyone wants their numbers being shared among others. Kind of like a BCC for email.
You can already do this using the community announcement group.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.