WhatsApp Gains Support for Live Location Sharing

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 17, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Popular messaging app WhatsApp was today updated with a new feature that's designed to allow WhatsApp users to share their location in real-time with family and friends.

Live Location through WhatsApp features end-to-end encryption and includes tools to allow users to specify who they share their location with and for how long.

[​IMG]

To use Live Location, WhatsApp users need to open a chat with a person or group, select the "Location" feature in the attach button, and then choose the new option to "Share Live Location." When selecting the share option, users can select an amount of time the location sharing feature will last before expiring.

The person on the other end will be able to see the user's real-time location on a map, and if, in a group chat, more than one person shares their location, multiple locations will be displayed on the same map.

Live Location is available on both iOS and Android devices, and it will be rolling out to the WhatsApp apps "in the coming weeks."

WhatsApp can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: WhatsApp Gains Support for Live Location Sharing

2. ArneK macrumors regular

Wow. It only took them five years to catch up with the competition!

3. robotica macrumors 6502a

robotica

4. Soccertess macrumors 65816

Well, not sure what's the point of imessage is anymore. Most of the world is android!

5. Sasparilla macrumors 65816

Nice feature add, if only they weren't tainted by Facebook.

6. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

You'd probably need to ask many of those who talk to many others via iMessage.

7. DaveTheRave macrumors 6502a

Built-in, dummy-proof simplicity in sending text messages with automatic fallback to old school SMS when necessary. Plus iPad support, which Whatsapp doesn’t do.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 17, 2017 ---
    With a billion+ users around the world they tend to move slowly to make sure things work well. Apple isn’t always a first-mover, either.

8. dampfnudel macrumors 68040

I'm surprised WhatsApp didn't have this already. It seems to be a standard feature in 2017.

9. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

I'd love to rig something like that to say "On the toilet".

10. jst_testing macrumors member

Now please bring native iPad support without having to request desktop site on a browser

11. vooke macrumors 6502

vooke

No good reason why they shouldn’t. Bring in multiple sessions like Telegram

12. ArneK macrumors regular

I wasn’t talking about Apple even. WeChat supports this since forever. Even in groups - very useful in china if you have a group of 10 people and can’t read the street signs. You see where everyone is and in which direction they are looking

13. Christoffee macrumors 6502

Christoffee

I love WhatsApp, and for me it’s far superior to iMessage. Better groups, group read receipts, better search, quotes, text formatting to name the things that immediately come to mind. And when I’ve occasionally needed to send PDFs, it seems to be possible through WhatsApp but not possible through iMessage (I know it’s possible, but it’s not intuitive).