Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

WhatsApp is receiving a refreshed design on iPhone and Android, the first interface overhaul of its kind since 2021.

whatsapp-new-design.jpg

The new design rolling out for the Meta-owned social media platform is meant to be fresh, approachable, and simple, according to WhatsApp.

WhatsApp says that sending photos and videos on iOS is now easier, thanks to a new attachment layout. Instead of a full screen menu, there's an expandable tray for accessing features when sending media, documents, polls, and more.

Icons have been updated to a rounded, outlined style, and there are new illustrations with added animations for a "more playful" aesthetic.

whatsapp-attachment-tray.jpg
New WhatsApp attachment tray

There's also a new "consistent" green color palette throughout the app, as well as a new dark mode that's one shade darker, which aims to reduce eye strain in low-light environments.

The new changes are rolling out to WhatsApp users on iPhone and Android now, according to the company.

Article Link: WhatsApp Gets Overhauled Interface Design and New Attachment Tray

TechRemarker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
Unlike Apple Messages, you still can't choose send photos with meta data though right? When sharing photos with friends and family, I always share the meta data, aka the time, date, location, etc so that when they add to their photo libraries it shows up properly and not with todays date, etc. And of course when sending photos to people who I don't want to share that data, I just choose not to with a click when sharing.

With What's App, in the past the only semi option of doing that was sending as a document which was not a fun experience since won't show image previews, and have to hunt down images files vs using the photo library and countless other downsides, and of course, not something non technicals sending photos would easily figure out.

Wondering if any of these changes finally resolves that?

GeoStructural

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
Unlike Apple Messages, you still can't choose send photos with meta data though right? When sharing photos with friends and family, I always share the meta data, aka the time, date, location, etc

Which is preferred by the majority. Trust me, I know a marriage that ended because of that feature on iMessage. Had it been WhatsApp they would still be together.

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
Telegram is so overrated.

There's always the "whatsapp" group when anything is mentioned about iMessage. Now it seems there's the "telegram" group anytime "whatsapp" is mentioned. Use whatever works for you and realize outside the US, whatsapp rules.
Well, Telegram is far more convenient, and its popularity is constantly growing. here's and example — I have a WhatsApp chat with this German lady, who knows that I don't speak German, but often still chooses to write to me in German. I have to copy the text and paste it into a translator app, while in Telegram — all you have to do is hold the text and select 'translate'. Telegram constantly rolls out new features, what does WhatsApp roll out even? Also Telegram came up with the wonderful video messages, which WhatsApp has, of course, copied since then. :)

SuccodeMele

Contributor
Oct 24, 2023
Well, Telegram is far more convenient, and its popularity is constantly growing. here's and example — I have a WhatsApp chat with this German lady, who knows that I don't speak German, but often still chooses to write to me in German. I have to copy the text and paste it into a translator app, while in Telegram — all you have to do is hold the text and select 'translate'. Telegram constantly rolls out new features, what does WhatsApp roll out even? Also Telegram came up with the wonderful video messages, which WhatsApp has, of course, copied since then. :)
Telegram is an app geared towards teens. Look at their webpage lol

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
I don't like the fact that when you open WhatsApp then close it,you lose the new messages badge. This needs to return.

Reactions: Anilu7

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2018
Around
Telegram is so overrated.

There's always the "whatsapp" group when anything is mentioned about iMessage. Now it seems there's the "telegram" group anytime "whatsapp" is mentioned. Use whatever works for you and realize outside the US, whatsapp rules.
It’s like that all over here. Someone mentions Toyota and then others say Chevy. Welcome to the internet.

I use both because it makes it easier for people get a hold of me. I’ll have a message on iMessage, WhatsApp, Telegram, and Facebook Messenger all with the same person and 4 different conservations.

Reactions: rbramseyjr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.