WhatsApp Message Notifications to Support Media Previews in Future Update

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 24, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    WhatsApp received an update overnight that suggests media previews will soon be coming to the app's iOS message notifications for the first time.

Currently in WhatsApp iOS notifications, images included in messages are replaced by a camera emoji, requiring the user to open WhatsApp to see the media. Likewise, GIF messages are represented in notifications by the space invader emoji.

However, WABetaInfo reports that WhatsApp version 2.18.80 lays the groundwork for full media previews in iOS notifications. The upcoming notification extension feature is said to support images as well as GIFs.

[​IMG]
    Image via WABetaInfo

To view the media preview, users will need to use the Peek and Pop gestures or swipe down on the notification in Notification Center. Users should also be able to download the media directly from the notification if they have disabled WhatsApp's media auto-download option.

Aside from the notification feature that's still under development, the latest version of the app lets you use Siri to send messages to WhatApp groups.

WhatsApp is a free download for iPhone available from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: WhatsApp Message Notifications to Support Media Previews in Future Update

2. javco macrumors member

Great to have the d...k guy from WhatsApp previewed in my notifications.

3. Pagemakers macrumors 68020

Pagemakers

Peek and Pop - totally useless invention. Press and hold - would work on any device. I hate 3D touch.

4. empire01 macrumors member

Getting close to the stage where I switch to Telegram. Not convinced Facebook aren't up to something.

5. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

This already works on watchchat app for WhatsApp on Apple watch.

6. DaveTheRave macrumors 6502a

Telegram is not as secure as WhatsApp or Signal.

7. rodpascoe macrumors regular

rodpascoe

Not at all as with Apple's implementation you have press and hold to do one task and press harder to do another. Without 3D Touch you couldn't do that.

8. blacktape242 macrumors 68000

blacktape242

9. jblagden macrumors 65816

jblagden

Because Facebook makes the most secure software. ;)

10. Radon87000 macrumors 604

Telegram refused to comply with Russia's regulations. Seems to me they are more secure than WhatsApp who complied.

11. fairuz macrumors 68000

fairuz

Telegram is less secure from a technical standpoint – they use a less secure encryption algo than WhatsApp and FB.
    Taking into account the company profiles, I don't trust FB, but I trust Telegram even less. They're both up to something, but at least FB is a legit company with serious accountability and not some secretive group in Russia and Dubai.

12. ipedro macrumors 601

ipedro

I really hate this app. Everything from how bloated it is to the damn stupid name. I hate how so many of the people I know insist on using it, dragging me in. What's worse is that the vast majority of my friends are on iOS so they don't need WhatsApp to get unlimited group messaging with the native Messages app.

13. DaveTheRave macrumors 6502a

WhatsApp uses the Signal protocol for end-to-end encryption. That protocol is Edward Snowden-approved. You’re crazy if you think WhatsApp somehow gave the Russians the keys to that (if that was even possible).