Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

WhatsApp Message Notifications to Support Media Previews in Future Update

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

WhatsApp received an update overnight that suggests media previews will soon be coming to the app's iOS message notifications for the first time.

Currently in WhatsApp iOS notifications, images included in messages are replaced by a camera emoji, requiring the user to open WhatsApp to see the media. Likewise, GIF messages are represented in notifications by the space invader emoji.

However, WABetaInfo reports that WhatsApp version 2.18.80 lays the groundwork for full media previews in iOS notifications. The upcoming notification extension feature is said to support images as well as GIFs.

Image via WABetaInfo

To view the media preview, users will need to use the Peek and Pop gestures or swipe down on the notification in Notification Center. Users should also be able to download the media directly from the notification if they have disabled WhatsApp's media auto-download option.

Aside from the notification feature that's still under development, the latest version of the app lets you use Siri to send messages to WhatApp groups.

WhatsApp is a free download for iPhone available from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: WhatsApp Message Notifications to Support Media Previews in Future Update

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
Because Facebook makes the most secure software. ;)
Telegram is less secure from a technical standpoint – they use a less secure encryption algo than WhatsApp and FB.
Taking into account the company profiles, I don't trust FB, but I trust Telegram even less. They're both up to something, but at least FB is a legit company with serious accountability and not some secretive group in Russia and Dubai.

Comment

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I really hate this app. Everything from how bloated it is to the damn stupid name. I hate how so many of the people I know insist on using it, dragging me in. What's worse is that the vast majority of my friends are on iOS so they don't need WhatsApp to get unlimited group messaging with the native Messages app.

Reactions: jblagden and B60boy
Comment

DaveTheRave

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
Telegram refused to comply with Russia's regulations. Seems to me they are more secure than WhatsApp who complied.
WhatsApp uses the Signal protocol for end-to-end encryption. That protocol is Edward Snowden-approved. You’re crazy if you think WhatsApp somehow gave the Russians the keys to that (if that was even possible).

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.