WHATSAPP on 6+?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ET iPhone Home, Jan 4, 2015.

1. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I finally downloaded the Whatsapp app. I have a relative traveling out of the country for a few months who I need to keep in contact with. I have a few questions on this app.

It asked to sync into both our CONTACTS, which we both agreed to. However, once my relative travels abroad and has to replace her current sim with a local sim for the country they are visiting.

1. Obviously I won't be able to text them through Whatsapp until they first text me, because of their new local number, am I correct?

2. Do they then have to allow the Whatspp app to allow and sync to their contacts with this new number?

3. I see that the Whatsapp app has a calling feature. Does this app act similar to VIBER and are international calls "free" if both parties have the 'Whatsapp' app?

Thank you!

2. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Whatsapp call function relays on voice call, so you have to paid according to your plan.

3. ET iPhone Home thread starter macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Okay… I'll stick to Viber and use Whatsapp for free texts.

4. upnorth85 macrumors 6502

I am presuming your relative does not have T-mobile? T-mobile has unlimited free Wi-Fi calls back to the US from anywhere in the world plus free texting both from US and back to US even on roaming. The texting is also free Delta flights. If you have T-mobile for $10 you can add unlimited international calling to 70 countries on all phones on the family plan. The Wi-Fi calling worked great for me on my iPhone 6+ when I traveled overseas last month.

5. ET iPhone Home thread starter macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I don't understand. The unlimited wi-fi calls, would it require a certain app under the free unlimited wi-fi calls from T-Mobile? I mean, they're vacationing to China, Philippines and Bangkok, so what app would they use to call me from these locations for free?

6. upnorth85 macrumors 6502

No separate App is needed, the T-mobile version of iPhone 6/6+ has this feature built in. If the phone is a T-mobile iPhone 6/6+, when connected to a Wi-Fi network and the user enables Wi-Fi calling in settings, the calls go through Wi-Fi. The top left corner shows "T-Mobile Wi-Fi", indicating the phone is now as if it is in the US and on T-mobile's network.

7. ET iPhone Home thread starter macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Yes, we both have and purchased T-Mobile iPhone 6+'s because they were sold at Apple as contract free unlocked phones. But we do not have T-Mobile plans. We are both on ATT pre-paid plans. Can we still use the wi-fi feature internationally? I'm sorry, but I really don't understand this feature you're mentioning. Can you post a link where I can read more on it.

Let's say, my relative is in Beijing, China. She goes to a cafe and connects to their wi-fi, does she then just call my number through the iPhone Voice App and it will call my number for free? And I can do the same from here in the U.S. Sometimes, VIBER is hit or miss. 70% of the time it works.