Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

WhatsApp has announced it is rolling out multiple new features today that have undergone long testing periods, including emoji reactions, bigger file transfers, and larger groups.

Whatsapp-Feature.jpg

WhatsApp has been working on message reactions – or "Tapbacks" in Apple Messages parlance – for some time, with evidence of their development first coming to light last summer.

The feature gives messaging app users a quick and easy way to respond to a message (a thumbs-up or thumbs-down in iMessage, for example) without having to type out a lengthier text-based reply in the chat thread.

Similar to Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp users will soon see a row of emoji just above a message. To begin with, only a handful of common reactions are available, but WhatsApp parent company Meta has said that support for "all emojis and skin-tones" will be added in the future.

WhatsApp is also rolling out a much larger 2GB cap for file transfers between users of the instant messaging platform. WhatsApp's file-sharing capabilities have become a key feature of the service, and the app has included the ability to share media files within conversations since 2017, but its 100MB file size limitation hasn't changed in that time.

whatsapp-message-reactions.jpg

Upping the limit to 2GB should make the platform a lot more amenable to sharing video clips and other large media file types, which would also be securely transferred via WhatsApp's end-to-end encryption.

Also from today, WhatsApp is expanding the default maximum size of group chats, upping the cap from 256 to 512 users. In its blog post announcing the new features, WhatsApp says the larger group limit is being rolled out "slowly," while message reactions and larger file size transfer limits are currently rolling out to users globally and should be available in the current version of the app.

Article Link: WhatsApp Rolls Out Message Reactions, Bigger File Size Limit, New Max Group Size

Pangalactic

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2016
Oh my god this is INCREDIBLE!!! This is the messanger of the future, feels like I am in 2040 already

Gosh, I wonder what comes next from this cutting-edge app that no other messenger can hold a candle to? Is it the iPad app? Is it using whatsapp on two phones at once? Is it transferring your messages between Android and iPhone? Is it groups up to 200,000 members? Is it sending all types of files through the app? Is it not selling all your data to Facebook for advertising?

flowsy

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2009
Germany
Reactions is a nice feature. Have been using it a lot in Signal Messenger. Can't remember when they introduced it.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
...Is it not selling all your data to Facebook for advertising?

Why would they even need to sell it when both Facebook and WhatsApp are owned by Meta? It always intrigues me how people who refuse to have anything to do with FB over privacy concerns are more than happy to use WhatsApp as their primary messaging platform.

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
Why would they even need to sell it when both Facebook and WhatsApp are owned by Meta? It always intrigues me how people who refuse to have anything to do with FB over privacy concerns are more than happy to use WhatsApp as their primary messaging platform.

As far as I know, at least in the EU they are not allowed to sell / use data between one another. It was one of the requirements to get the sale approved back in the day

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
As far as I know, at least in the EU they are not allowed to sell / use data between one another. It was one of the requirements to get the sale approved back in the day
Now you mention it, I think you could be right. However, even if they can't share data internally, I see no reason to believe that WhatsApp are going to be any less inclined to exploit/sell data than Facebook are, given that this seems to be Meta's entire raison d'etre.

cyanite

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2015
Is it not selling all your data to Facebook for advertising?
Not all data, since chats are end to end encrypted, right? Of course you may not believe that, but I’d say that would count as a conspiracy theory since it’s contrary to what’s states and with no evidence, presumably.

(I don’t use WhatsApp myself, so I don’t have a horse in the race, really.)

Reactions: mhnd

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
Not all data, since chats are end to end encrypted, right? Of course you may not believe that, but I’d say that would count as a conspiracy theory since it’s contrary to what’s states and with no evidence, presumably.

(I don’t use WhatsApp myself, so I don’t have a horse in the race, really.)
I realise your emphasis on all data, but in general people seem to assume that end-to-end encryption means there’s no privacy risk. However, even if you don’t give WhatsApp access to the marketing holy grail of your address book, you can bet that one of your contacts will have and thus WhatsApp will most likely have a connection between your name, phone number and email address as a minimum. Also, even without being able to read your actual messages, WhatsApp can still analyse your traffic. You’re an active member of a few Star Wars WhatsApp communities? You’ve just joined a group called ‘Expectant Parents’? That’s marketable information. You regularly exchange messages with Dave Smith who’s also a Star Wars group member. So what else does Dave like, as there’s a good chance you’ll like that too… and so on

Moshe1010

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010
The question is how do you check if your group was updated to >256 users before asking many people to join. I have a group with 230 people, and another one with 150. I would like to join them together but don't want users to go through the hassle if it's still hasn't been updated...

AgeOfSpiracles

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2020
Now you mention it, I think you could be right. However, even if they can't share data internally, I see no reason to believe that WhatsApp are going to be any less inclined to exploit/sell data than Facebook are, given that this seems to be Meta's entire raison d'etre.
Oh, I thought their raison d'etre was to help people learn sick skateboard tricks. That's what their commercials say.

Reactions: NightFox
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.